Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard at work today that through the grape vine there is news of a fuel strike in a week or so nation wide. Is there any truth in this? Anybody else heard anything?

The news came from my mate who is a member of the national fire service, he says even if there is a strike he could use his fire service card to get fuel..... never knew that before!

But back to the topic in hand, anyone know anything about this? or is it just a rumor

GT 130

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've heard it might happen on 14th too (wednesday).

Last time I was classed as an 'essential' worker - NHS - so not too worried personally, and didnt even need to fill up when the last strike was on, a full tank lasted me till it finished. That was in my Pug 306 though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Protest schmotest. It made naff all difference last time there were strikes. I don't think it will ever drop back below 95p per litre again.[:(]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well it will probably go up in the meantime due to excess demand of people panic stocking up, defeating any action anyway [:cool:]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Well it will probably go up in the meantime due to excess demand of people panic stocking up, defeating any action anyway [:cool:]
True. Remeber there was a garage in the 2000 protests, selling fuel for ?11 a gallon !! Unbelievable !!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I'm an NHS worker, but I don't think IT has quite the same effect!

I hope they do do this, at the very least,it makes people angry about the prices.

This is the bit where a diesel comes in handy. I'll fill both cars up if it does happen, should get me 600 miles from both together if I'm lucky [:D]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep thats me fully diesel'd up - should last a while [:)]

The petrol station said that the prices are going up over night tonight.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well it will probably go
up in the meantime due to excess demand of people panic stocking up,
defeating any action anyway [:cool:]
True. Remeber there was a garage in the 2000 protests, selling fuel for ?11 a gallon !! Unbelievable !!
Yep.. and all the locals vowed never to buy from his garage again. The guy went out of business two months later, iirc.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Filled up tonight, but like someone said earlier, prices are going up every night and have been for the last couple of months !!!

What can you do ??? You have to buy the stuff, they have you by the balls !!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Haha, this just reminded me of a garage local to me that charged ?1 per
litre back in that fuel strike, and people were annoyed with that!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Who do you think you are hurting if you boycott a garage/garages? (not including price gougers)

The owner, whether individual or oil company, makes very little on the petrol (sometimes almost nothing - they make more on the food and drink sales etc) - only a few pence.

The price has gone up due to worldwide demand and worldwide shortages. BP wont go bust if you don't buy fuel in the UK for a couple of days - ALL oil companies are global enterprises, and it either can't reduce the prices due to such small margins, or it can just sell your fuel to the US or any other country for almost the same if you don't want it.

The real "villain" is the government, but HM Revenue and Customs collect tax monthly or quarterly for petrol, you wont bankrupt the government by not buying fuel for 3 days. They wont even know a difference has occured until a month or more has gone and petrol is so volatile in price that every month's receipts are different anyway - so even if they notice a difference it can't or wont be assigned to any reason as receipts are "expected" to vary each month.

You can't bankrupt OPEC as they are a global force and the fact 20 million UK motorists MAXIMUM stop using petrol (after many stages of delivery, storage, transport and refining and processing) wont make a dent any time soon in a market where you supply billions of gallons of oil for plastics, paint, lubricants, power stations, pharmaceuticals, dyes, jet fuel, ship and boat fuel etc etc - the motorist only uses a tiny percentage of crude oil extracted any way. And us Brits are not a force to be reckoned with. The Americans have 80+ litre leviathons, cruising an average daily commute of 80 miles, at 20 or less miles per gallon, they drive everywhere to do everything - and there are a quarter of a billion of them. Until they start protesting we have no hope (and their petrol price has more than doubled in one year).

·
Registered
406 Posts
- STOP PRESS -

French Government threatens oil companies (BP, Shell, Total etc) that they face a windfall tax if they don't hand back some of their profits due to high oil prices.

BAD NEWS:
The thing is these companies sell millions of litres of fuel a week - average person has a 50 litre tank and fills it say every two weeks - so that's 20 millionish cars x 25 litres a week = half a billion litres.

These oil companies are raking in 15 million euros a week in extra profit between them since Katrina (in France alone [:O]).

Big bucks you think? No not really, the most draconian threat the French Govt posed and what does it mean to the motorist:

yep - if your maths is good, it's actually 0.03 Euro a litre cut.

Or in English: 2p - Whoop de bloody do

Even worse thing is, because euro prices are lower anyway the oil companies are less competitive, and their margins are actually higher per litre on the continent.

If we do all we can do (protest) or the Govt threaten uk oil co's the BEST we can hope for is less than 2p discount.

[CHANT]

"What do we want? - 101.9p not 103.9p"
"When do we want it? - well it kinda doesn't make any real difference so who cares?"

Of course we could go round to see Gordon with some pliers and a blowtorch - there's got be some leeway when there's 75 pence tax per litre to play with?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts