Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of av. MPG are people get who have to sit in nose to tail traffic daily for most of their commute in either:

1.8T

V5

V6 4mo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats not far off my diesel, I'm averaging 34 nose to tail in traffic.

As I'm not doing as many distance miles at the moment might have a look back at petrol.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm averaging around 32mpg long term, most of the driving is done on the commute to and from work (60 miles motorway each way). The trip average for the drive to work varies between 30 and 35mpg depending on traffic.

Chris

·
Registered
351 Posts
My mpg has dipped dramatically after putting 18's on. I used to get around 22-26 mpg in nose to tail traffic before now I get anywhere between 16-22. Normal town driving was usually around the 25mpg and now it's averaging a diabolical 19mpg on similar journeys.

Don't even ask about mpg when it's driven hard... Me thinks it's time to revert back to the Monty's.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hi,

I get about 140 miles from ?20 (until the light comes on) at 86p a litre

so thats 6 miles per litre (86p) / 27MPG (uk) / 22MPG (USA)

Standard Golf 1.8T 150bhp. 1999.

Mav,

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
my 1.8T averaged 22mpg, when i was 'driving like i was being chased by police' it goes into single figures - that cant be right, right?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Bora V6 was not great on fuel, seems to be VW V6s are a bit thirsty... I used to get 20-22MPG around town and 28MPG on a good motorway run.?
My mpg has dipped dramatically after putting 18's on. I used to get around 22-26 mpg in nose to tail traffic before now I get anywhere between 16-22. Normal town driving was usually around the 25mpg and now it's averaging a diabolical 19mpg on similar journeys.

Don't even ask about mpg when it's driven hard... Me thinks it's time to revert back to the Monty's.?
?

Unless your wheels are 70KG each I can't see how you would loose 5-8MPG...something odd there! Fitted 18s to my Bora V6 (previously on 16's) and it made zero difference to fuel economy. I get 18-22MPG out of the M3 in traffic (though when thoroughly thrashed it will dip to 16), 30MPG on the motorway and thats a 3.2 on 19"s. Maybe worth getting the car checked?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
most of the time when the fuel consumption is stupid its normally down to the maf.. as my mums gti when putting in ?20 it would give about 90 miles which was pathetic.. now after a maf change it gives about 140-150ish as its only driven on about 6 mile run so it gets a bit of a journey lol. my merc on the other hand is stupidly juicy for ?20 i get about 110 miles (driving normally granny shifting etc) if im lucky which is quite a hit compare to my tdi which gave about 140 miles when driven hard (most of the time)..

Sat

·
Registered
752 Posts
My 15 mile roundtrip to work involves town driving, sitting in a couple queues and driving at around 30-40 at other times. On a full tank of fuel, down to refill time I end up with the car reading between 29-31MPG, in my standard 1.8T running on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
in day to day traffic im getting 27mpg with a decat/system on v power and play time im getting about 24mpg average over 200 miles

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ours is anywhere between 27 and 33 mpg in mixed driving. As the weather gets colder, the wife is letting it idle to warm up so killing mpg.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
im getting an average of 30mpg thats 80% sensible driving then the occasional foot to the floor.

I never realised a remap will increase your mpg, even more the reason to get one

·
Registered
842 Posts
on my daily commute at 7am on an 8mile one way trip i'm being told the average is 35mpg... at that time in the morning not in any real rush and the road is quiet, on the way home at about 5pm with abit of traffic being told 32mpg..

·
Registered
615 Posts
20 - 24 mpg on my 2.0 8v
Surely that's caining it?

I went to the lakes on Saturday- (giving it plenty) and 4 up in a 2.0litre 8v Bora I got an Average MPG of 31.8.

Still never managed more than 370miles to a full tank tho [:S]

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 1.8T remapped AGU gives around 26mpg on my 6mile journey to work, half in trafic and half dual carriageway. If I drive completely like a saint on a motorway run, I can get up to 39mpg average.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts