Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends, my VW Bora 2.8L V6 4Motion journey started in 2001 with all black Bora as my only car. By 2014 it was unreliable, I had limited time and know how, so I got rid of it for a new WRX.
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Sky

By 2019 I was a bit sentimental and found a Blue 2003 V6 Bora with cream interior. 240k km on clock. Single owner, except for British backpacker for 3 months before I got it. Mostly serviced by VW. Uncommon colour combination in Australia - I really hated the black interior of my first car. Brisbane summers are hot.
Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive parking light

The car was filthy and smelly inside. Did a fair bit of tidying up first: carpet, leather, door cards, seat belts. Cabin filter. Tinted windows.
Blue Hood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Wood Natural material Automotive exterior Metal Electric blue

Replaced headliner and pillars.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Recovering parcel shelf was an experience. The plastic vents shattered first time round. Bits got lost at the shop. Needed to buy a second one and have it recovered.

Fitted new 2 DIN head unit with GPS and bluetooth. Wired up for reverse camera.
Vehicle Audio equipment Gadget Vehicle audio Personal luxury car

The first proper work I have done on any car was replacing the brake pads and rotors all round. Febi Bilstein at rear and Bosh at front.
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Bicycle part

Now that I could drive the car, I replaced the three bits that had me stranded in my original Bora:
  • new clutch pedal
  • brake vacuum hose
Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

- lock cylinder
Automotive tire Camera lens Motor vehicle Reflex camera Automotive design

Greatest benefit in getting rid of the smell was ozone generator off eBay. Hadn't heard about this at first.
Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Number

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A mechanic replaced a few seals, spark plugs and injectors. Also front and rear control arms.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Engineering

Cleaned out the sunroof overflow pipes. Fronts were easy, needed to remove rear bumper to do rears. Also found a 12V outlet which I would later use to connect a cigarette lighter like my 2001 Bora had.
Wood Concrete Automotive wheel system Metal Ceiling

I used a friend's hoist to replace haldex filter and oil. Also replaced oil filer, air filter, cabin filter and dog bone / pendulum mount.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

I installed the boot lid part of reverse camera. How I ran the wiring is here.
Automotive lighting White Hood Grille Purple

Installed new head lights. Found the original leveler motors had disintegrated, as had the internal wiring.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Light Grille

Pulled out the dash to replace the air con motors, pull out black foam, tape up the air con flaps and lay wiring from boot to head unit for reverse camera.
My V71 motor DIY is here.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive tire

Whoever replaced the boot lock had lost the extension bar to enable opening by key. I was able to replace this from a donor V5 blue Bora 2001.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive tire

Cleaned the carpet and underlay.
Bag Grey Wire Electrical wiring Machine

Removed and cleaned under wiper blades. Fitted Meyle wipers. Detailed under the bonnet.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Grille

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
VagCom showed an error from the window control module, even though it seemed to work fine. I replaced this also, but it was probably unnecessary.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Replaced front struts and springs. Even with DIY's and Bentley manual, I found this awkward. Took me quite some time.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Light

I don't remember why, but I decided to only replace the rear struts. Much later I replaced the springs too.
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

When reinstalling the dash, I ran USB cables to ashtray and small slot in upper part of glove box.
Hand Camera lens Finger Reflex camera Gadget

Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Pulled out a bunch of stuff from the donor V5. It's all photographed and in boxes but I doubt it'll ever come in handy.
I used the left fender, bonnet and parts of passenger seat.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Installed new Pioneer rear speakers. When driving, I normally have 2/3 to 3/4 of volume from the back.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Camera lens

Installed roof racks, safety triangle, cigarette lighter and boot seal.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Now for the real work....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks to lots of advice on this forum, I pulled out the gear box. Replaced crankshaft seal, DMF, clutch disc, pressure plate and central slave cylinder. Used LUK kit. I asked around on forums to see what else I should do along the way. I needed a friend's know how and muscle to reinstall clutch & gear box, thanks Shaun!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Also, fitted new secondary air pump (as VagCom showed error).
Hand Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Automotive design

Out with the old starter motor, just because I was there.
Cylinder Gas Machine Metal Fire hydrant

Replaced leaking engine oil cooler and trimmed up a swollen coolant pipe (bottom right of picture).
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black Automotive fuel system Automotive design

New crack pipe, thermostat housing & flange, temperature sensor and thermostat because these looked fragile. I kept all original pipes & clips as they seemed in good order.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Organism Tread Cg artwork

Photograph White Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle

Fitted new fuel filter
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

and air mass sensor (because I was there).
Automotive tire Camera accessory Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

I replaced both engine mounts. Was surprised to see how far the right/engine mount rubber had sunk. The left/gear box mount seemed less affected.
Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fitted new serpentine belt, power steering pump and coolant pump. To get to the water pump, I lowered the motor (as shown in Bentley manual), rather than lifting it up as most DIY's seem to suggest.
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Automotive design Hood

New coolant reservoir, as the return pipe broke on original one while I was trying to get to the clutch master cylinder.
Gas Electric blue Ball Kitchen utensil Circle

I installed new rear springs. This was quite difficult because of limited space for the spring compressor.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Vehicle brake

One of the last things I did was to replace the clutch master cylinder. I had lots of hassles with this I guess due to the limited working space.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Bicycle part

New coolant, power steering fluid and gear box oil. New clutch pedal sensor switch and brake light switch.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

And she's back on the road. Wheel alignment booked for Monday.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Bit disappointed I couldn't do the prop shaft donut. Otherwise, I fitted all the parts I'd bought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So, what did I learn?

I'm planning on this being my daily drive so decided to replace quite a few bits & bobs.

Remember Northpole's advice, only replace what is broken.

If I was doing all this again, I would:
  • use a parts diagram when ordering, rather than drop down menu items on car parts web sites because there's so many variations
  • if you have the space to just leave the car on jack stands, pull out what you're going to replace and buy new parts from the part numbers imprinted on the old bits

- leave suspension till the very end; especially rears. Otherwise you're forever lifting front end up, compressing rear suspension while front is on jack stands

- put lock carrier in service position early when doing anything at front of engine (thermostat, crack pipe, secondary air pump)

- removing the gearbox takes a long time but is easy if you follow DIY, putting it back is difficult as the box is quite heavy. Couldn't have done it without a friend. I broke the bathroom scales when weighing it. Couldn't find a post where anyone mentions the weight of V6 gear box but I'd guess 45kg

- buy new gear box & engine mount bolts, saves calling in a guy to drill out a broken bolt

- do the entire wiring for reverse camera while head unit is not installed so you can test it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great read this. Always loved the Australian modding/resto scene although most of my Aussie mates are into '70s Holdens and Fords because that's what their Dad drove when they were kids.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Couldn't get into 1st gear. Other gears all good. No noise.

I followed procedure to realign the linkages:
a) pull springs back and turn anticlockwise to lock
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

b) lock gear stick in neutral between 1st and 2nd by using a 4mm Allen key
Automotive tire Hood Leg Tire Wheel

But each time had problems with 1st or 2nd.

Turned out the Selector Shaft Gear Cable Shifter Cable End Catch 1J0711761B was cracked (left). So replaced this off the donor Bora (right). I have 1st to 6th and reverse!

Can get these end catches as a pair (...761B and ...761C) at Amazon.
Household hardware Gas Auto part Font Nut

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced front indicator bulbs, external temperature sensor, coolant reservoir cap and hub caps.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts