Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With regards to parking sensors.

Is there a display (like mercs) in the cabin illustrating the distance or is it only sound (beep beep etc)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is no display, just a beeping (which isn't that loud - I believe it is configurable by the dealer or if you have Sat Nav).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've never had the parking sensors until this MK5 - in fact i used to think they were a bit "girlie" (excuse the generalisation), but as with most things - i have now found them invaluable.

No display mind you but the beep time/space ratio is the yardstick for 'seeing' how much space you have behind you.

I would say they are a worthy extra.

·
Registered
638 Posts
LOL, parking sensors are certainly becoming more wisespread. I would certainly order them on a big car like a golf, and definitely a passat estate. What makes me laugh is, parking sensors on a Micra! Now why?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 26/01/2005 09:05:40

I've never had the parking sensors until this MK5 - in fact i used to think they were a bit "girlie" (excuse the generalisation), but as with most things - i have now found them invaluable.

Absolutely. All the 'I can park, sensors are for girls' arguments fall into the same camp as 'ABS and PAS are for wimps' IMO. Its bloody useful and if it helps avoid dings (particular on a lowered car with vulnerable valances) in very tight situations, then Im all for it. I am currently fitting a completely stealth system to mine (no visible sensors).

·
Registered
703 Posts
yer i think they are invaluable... can't really see where the Bora ends, and in london i have parked in some very very tight spots.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had to learn the hard way how to reverse park: D plate cavalier - space, invariably the size of a gnat's erse & NO power steering, never mind parking sensors!

I'd've given me back teeth for them - girlie? - never!

Does a washing machine make you more 'girly' cos you dont do it by 'and ? I think not.

Mikedav: more about the stealth system please (i'm a sucker for anything 'stealthy'[:D]!)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote: posted by cjp2k on 28/01/2005 14:10:26

yeah agree with fatbob, more info please midedav [:)] i wish i had specced them again...

yeesh make up your mind Chris [;)] At this rate your gonna have to order another replacement [:D]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by KuniD on 28/01/2005 14:30:28

Quote: posted by cjp2k on 28/01/2005 14:10:26

yeah agree with fatbob, more info please midedav [:)] i wish i had specced them again...

yeesh make up your mind Chris [;)] At this rate your gonna have to order another replacement [:D]

lol yeah

Nah i do like and use them, but it was that or the arm rest/cd changerm, so as i plan on sat nav at some point.. the cd changer won!

my dealer is trying 2 see how much a company to retro fit them will cost

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote: posted by fatbob on 27/01/2005 22:31:59

I had to learn the hard way how to reverse park: D plate cavalier - space, invariably the size of a gnat's erse & NO power steering, never mind parking sensors!

I'd've given me back teeth for them - girlie? - never!

Does a washing machine make you more 'girly' cos you dont do it by 'and ? I think not.

Mikedav: more about the stealth system please (i'm a sucker for anything 'stealthy'[:D]!)

What the crap is a washing machine?!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

I've installed a Taurus kit. I was concerned it was cheap tat when I got it for Xmas but its actually pretty good. You wire the module into your reverse light, mount the little speaker and connect it to an antenna (a thin piece of sticky back foil that uses a magnetic field to detect obstacles) on the inside of your bumper, completely invisible. Its all done but for a lose connection I have - I just need to whip the bumper off and secure it, but just not had the time.

It seems to work suprisingly well - I was not expecting it to, manufacturers use round, visible sensors for a reason surely? BUT the entrance to my drive is very narrow (1 inch either side of my mirrors) and has brick gate posts, both of which it picked up as I reversed out. I will see how it goes over the next few weeks and get a feel for how accurate it is.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Brick and plastic bumpers of other cars should not emit a magnetc field!

What does it say in the spec for the angular coverage? I am intrigued that it can pick up your brick gate posts.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 29/01/2005 21:07:08

Brick and plastic bumpers of other cars should not emit a magnetc field!

Well as far as I am aware me legs don't emit magnetic fields either, but when testing it - i.e. by walking up to the bumper and back again - it picks me up from about 1.5 feet, and switches tones as I get closer. It also emitted the same warning the closer I got to the gateposts. From what I understand, it creates a magnetic field and monitors said field for intrusions - it doesn't detect other objects emiting magnetic fields.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts