Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whos is actually running without a front arb ? im very tempted to get rid of mine and winde down the coils.

Do you drive it hard ? how does it react ?

Or are there any cheap ways of stopin the rubbing ?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Whos is actually running without a front arb ? im very tempted to get rid of mine and winde down the coils.

I'm still new to golf's, but i thought i read that you simply needed R32/TT drop links in the ARB to avoid rubbing - i'm sure someone can confirm either way....?

Tom

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dont run with any front arb, dont really see the point, if your wanting to

get low your not really going to be driving around fast, and i havnt really noticed much of a differance in handling, granted i only have a 1.6 but think the collies are keeping it firm at the same time!!! hope this helps!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
[:D] i removed mine last year when i decided to wind down my coils all the way, my coils are very stiff so it doesnt make a difference to my imo. I drive it hard almost everyday and taking corners hard is still a yes yes! im running a big turbo over 300bhp too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was running no arb for a looong while and to be honest wasn't that bad at all. i ended up losing patience with it when i first put my coilovers on and cut it off. initially on day to day driving you could hardly tell the difference it just made the front end feel abit softer and defiantly not as stiff but you could only really notice this when changing direction quickly as there would be more roll. handling wise i actually preferred it as it didn't under steer as much and the back end became a bit more lively, you will find yourself playing with abit of lift off over steer at every roundabout you come across. <o:p></o:p>

i have recently fitted a whiteline arb which goes in between the drive shaft and bottom arm to avoid this catching and wish i didn't bother because i have had just as much as a ball ache with this as i did the standard one because it still rubs on the drive shaft, i had to get the grinder and chamfer the edges to go as low as i wanted. now this is all on feels like a go cart, the main difference i noticed apart from it being alot stiffer is that it handles bumps alot better, with no arb you can feel the suspension is working independently where as with the arb fitted it spreads it out and you bounce down there road but with out one you will just hear one side take the brunt of it and catch the wheel arch <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

I'm still new to golf's, but i thought i read that you simply needed R32/TT drop links in the ARB to avoid rubbing - i'm sure someone can confirm either way....?

Tom
No, to fit the r32etc arb, you need to change the dampers as the drop link mount to the strut and not the wishbone. There's a few ways round it. Can't make brackets etc to fit but if starting from scratch, you need to go for seat Leon cupra r dampers as the rears fit and the fronts have the mounting point

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
As I always point out with these threads, it's an MOT failure.

'Check for a roll bar on a axle where one is fitted as standard' (or wording vey similar).

I don't know of anyone that has failed an MOT though.

Wouldn't like to be involved in a fatal accident with a car without one though, insurance and vehicle checks would almost certainly end up with you liable.

[:)]

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
I've just checked the MOT rules thoroughly and the above clause looks like it's been removed...

It was there 6 months ago!

Will keep looking.

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
a mates gttdi passed mot without one, alsong as there is no lose bits and everthing is removed it will be fine the Mot guy said
The previous MOT rules were clear they had to be fitted if they were fitted as standard, the MOT guy is incorrect (or might be right if clause has really been removed).

Looks like they may have revised it though and have dropped that clause recently...

You cannot remove the ARB wishbone fixing points.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The way I got round the ARB issues is by sticking a R32 23mm arb on the front and used adjustable droplinks. They bolt up perfectly to the wishbone as standard and haven't looked back since! Handles nicely too :)

·
The Boss
1,864 Posts
how low are you actually planning on going? i have the 1.6 and i am dropped a fair bit with no rubbing issues... are you dropped and rubbing already?

Either way, i am with Patch, i would rather spend £70 on an over/under ARB than run without one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.