Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scares the hell out of me.

Some say Peak Oil was about 5 years ago, some say it's happening now, whenever it is, the consequences are dire and life will change forever.

Have a look here for some info (there is loads of info online)

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm never going to buy another car again as it would be a waste of money

And

Instead I'm going to kit out my gaff to as energy and self sufficient as possible.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Class.

Tell me though, do the tassles cause much drag ?

Also with in a post industrial oil-less age, how does the bike get from the factory to Halfords / Bike Shop.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i brought this up in september and was pratically laughed out of the place
I hope I wasn't involved with that Beast. ?

This really is quite worrying, unfortuately there isn't a great deal we can do about this with the way our economy is geared.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well then,

With this being one of a new breed of " ride by wire" two wheeled sex machines it requires the " tassels" to create an unstable platform which when controlled by the dynamo powered bio mechanical super computer ( no oil needed to create these ) provides a machine that is capable of pulling high G's and performing other high speed maneuvers that lesser cycles would simply fall to pieces it also features a unique spoiler to provide down force, this is so efficient that at a speed of just 6 mph the user could effectively ride on the celling..

This special breed of cycle would be " grown" via self pollination across the greenery of the world ( and there would be more of it with no ugly polluting cars cars .) .

The world will convert to bikes Mwahhhhhhh.

Jay

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's extremely scary.

It's a very good reason why all gas guzzlers should be taxed very harshly. Inefficient 4x4s ?2000 or more tax. It's stealing from our children to use more than what we need to. These people who think they are looking after their children in their X5s and Cayennes should be ashamed of themselves.

Close the gas fired & oil fired power stations. Keep the highly mobile fuels for applications that need it. Re-open coal fired power stations. There's plenty of economic migrants who would work in the pits. Look at Nuclear to tide us over, invest in re-newables.

Most of all we need to appreciate we are using up finite resources very rapidly. Energy efficiency can help our dwindling supplies last longer until we get used to living sustainably.

The UK and US do have decent coal reserves apparently, which can be converted into petrol "gasification". The Germans did this during WWII.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
it is very serious and you're right there isn't anything we can do now

it is amusing that most people think that someone will come to our rescue with a miracle cure to the problem (government, scientists, etc...)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not at all surprised. But it is lack of education and understanding - that's the thing that stops people from taking notice. It was only recently that I understood what it all means in terms of the longer term consequences... and I guess I was as naive as many other people probably are.

But the narrow-minded continue to plead ignorance and ignore the consequences of their actions.

Maybe a few tax increases on anything that relates to driving a vehicle may open a few eyes? I'm sure it won't be too long before it's more than just petrol and CO2 emissions...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
unfortunately nothing can replace petrol/diesel

even if it was ready now, we couldn't possibly begin to replace petrol, that alone could cripple our economy.

what people don't realise about the oil problem is that we won't use it all, we'll never run it out and it isn't the lack of oil that will cause the problem, it is the severe economic problems caused by the lowering production levels combined with increasing usage

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we all need to start preparing for this now.

As above, I consider renewing my car as stupidity (glad I've got a TDI even more now), I'd rather spend the money getting our home online with re-newable energy sources.

Also my views on fuel duty are changing as well, it makes perfect sense, I only hope the government is using the cash to invest in alternatives.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
This topic was on the go a while ago. Demand will certainly exceed supply come time, its just a matter of when.

Having said that, as the price of oil increases, so it will become feasible to extract oil from wells that would otherwise be financially restrictive. The current price of oil has meant several wells in the UK sector are being exploited that were previous left due to their prohibitive cost.

Unfortunately, our greedy and short-sighted government have taxed the oil companies to the extent that they are focusing their efforts elsewhere like Africa where it is cheaper to recover oil than more difficult (expensive) wells in the likes of the North Sea and be taxed more to boot. That means that when the shortage comes, the UK will be more dependent on imported oil and thus will be one of the financial victims of the shortage due to lack of local reserves and throughput.

The governments short term greed and thievery is similar to their predecessors in power. The UK governments all seem to lack long term financial foresight. Our government sold blocks of ground in the North Sea to oil companies in the 60's, 70's and 80's for them to extract resources like oil and gas rather than rent them like Norway did. As a result, the short term boost in income meant that the only way to get money out of oil companies 20-30 years later was to tax them. Norway get a steady income from each Norwegian block even now, 30+ years on from the start of the North Sea oil age.

There were posts on here previously about people applauding the governments move to tax more heavily, the oil companies in the UK due to "obscene" profits. From this perspective, it was a very silly move. These oil companies will make huge profits no matter where they are working/based. At least if they were focusing their investments here, there would be larger reserves available locally in the long term meaning we are less likely to suffer when the shortfall occurs.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Class.

Also with in a post industrial oil-less age, how does the bike get from the factory to Halfords / Bike Shop.
Your point about moving produce and goods around is to my mind, very pertinent. In my local tesco, (I live in kent the "Garden of England" famous for it's apple and cider orchards..) yet, I can buy locally grown apples or buy an apple that has been grown in new zealand.. say 10 - 12000 miles away ? Now, is there REALLY a need for an apple that has been flown or shipped half way across the globe ?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

As above, I consider renewing my car as stupidity (glad I've got a TDI even more now), I'd rather spend the money getting our home online with re-newable energy sources.

Also my views on fuel duty are changing as well, it makes perfect sense, I only hope the government is using the cash to invest in alternatives.
That's the thing though.. this government (or any other; they're all as muppet like as each other) will not invest it in something clever, they'll invest it in scumbag scroungers and immigrants. Anyone see the news at ten with the translation story tonight ? Government reckons it spends ?100 million a year providing translation to people who cannot speak english. Some woman has been here 25 years, yet cannot speak a word.. I mean, well words fail me really.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

That's the thing though.. this government (or any other; they're all as muppet like as each other) will not invest it in something clever, they'll invest it in scumbag scroungers and immigrants. Anyone see the news at ten with the translation story tonight ? Government reckons it spends ?100 million a year providing translation to people who cannot speak english. Some woman has been here 25 years, yet cannot speak a word.. I mean, well words fail me really.
Notwithstanding examples like that, my general gut feeling is that here in the UK we generally have a more progressive attitude to energy conservation than most of the world. I think that we are at least trying to put things into practice unlike the US, which is a joke, they are accelerating the decline and ironically in the end suffer the most as they have more to loose.

·
Registered
143 Posts
veg oil is the way forward oh and alcohol it burns in engines. the car manufactureres already have it all planned cos they make money when we buy newer improved versions every few years.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Class.

Your point about moving produce and goods around is to my mind, very pertinent. In my local tesco, (I live in kent the "Garden of England" famous for it's apple and cider orchards..) yet, I can buy locally grown apples or buy an apple that has been grown in new zealand.. say 10 - 12000 miles away ? Now, is there REALLY a need for an apple that has been flown or shipped half way across the globe ?
Absolutely not.

Totally agree, it is rediculous that mange tout and baby sweetcorn are flown in from Africa !!!

Not so many years ago and well within my memory, food produce was seasonal Due to the exploitation of virtually everyone and everything by the large supermarkets this no longer the case. It will be interesting how the big supermarkets will fare without oil (obviously there will be a knock on effect to us) but I see a return to a much simpler way of life, one where the existance of our whole economy is not based upon the single premise of growth and yet more consumption. I for one would like to see our economy based upon the refinement of what currently exists.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
veg oil is the way forward oh and alcohol it burns in engines. the car manufactureres already have it all planned cos they make money when we buy newer improved versions every few years.
Not so.

If you do some research, you'll discover that there simply isn't enough arable land on this planet to produce enough crops to make that oil / biodiesel.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The UK do appear to have a more progressive attitude to energy conservation, but it is tax grabbing under the banner of energy conservation. If the UK truly was trying to reduce oil dependency and carbon emissions, they would be investing billions to improve transport infrastructure to remove the need for so much inefficiency with regards to trasnport.

If the infrastructure was there, many HGV's could be removed from the roads, people could use high speed rail as they do in Japan, removing the need for air travel, and world leading public transport networks would remove the need for the car.

Pricing people out of their cars on to a transport system which either does not exist, or exists in a poor minimalistic form, is not going to help when any oil shortage comes. Having systems in place which avoids the need for huge quantities of oil, meaning huge investment from the UK governent, is the only way forward. Otherwise, we end up with ever more expensive travel, we are sitting ducks for any "oil crash", and watch as any reduction in the usage of oil the UK makes, is countered by China in next to no time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.