Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proper foggy here in the normally and otherwise sunny sub tropical Thames Valley also with near zero degree temperatures.

I've not seen fog like this for a long time if ever (yet to hit the road)

Be careful chaps and chapess's.

Bet it's even gim-er oop t'North ?

...... downside is, we'll have numpties driving about for the next 2 weeks with their foglights on as they will no doubt forget to switch them off.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really bad here, motorway I reckon you'd be down to less than 30mph unless you were mad.

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
It's down to about a half a mile here at worst,so why have none of the numpties who sit in front of me ever read the part of the highway code that says "High beam or foglights should NOT be used when other read users are visible".And just to annoy me even more,as well as rear fogs,they sit with their foot on the brake,so by the time the lights have changed,I've got arc eye.
So next time anyone does this to me,I'm getting out of my car,walking up to theirs armed with a s election of tools,unscrewing the rear light lens,taking the fog and brake light bulbs out,and jumping on them.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Quite thick fog here in Cheshire today, some country lanes down to about 30 meters or so visibility.
Proper pea sooper all right Paul, just come off the M56 and down the A49 then through Barnton, couldn't see bugger all lol! [:O]

All the xenons did was bloody blind me....[:D]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
As ct.p says - proper foggy here! The M4 was closed in both directions earlier, so think i was lucky to get home without problems. Strangely, the fog wasn't as bad on the M4 compared to some of rural roads - I'm pretty sure this is due to the volume of traffic creating turbulence and clearing some of the air?

hope its better in the morning - freezing fog is pretty dangerous to be driving in...

PS - it's a shame all cars don't have the golf's innovative headlamp/fog light switch - there'd be no chance of numpties driving with ther fogs on for weeks!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Yes it is grim-er oop t'North and that is before this fog came !

I remember a couple of years ago at work we were fogbound for two weeks with no aircraft movements at all,It made my life easier though.

People drive round here in summer with there foglights on all day.

·
ah ha ha ha this nutter posted something :-)
4,319 Posts
It's is grimmer up here, had to drive up from oxford this morning. had a nasty trip firstly M40 got closed at J15 had to cut through coventry to get round it. Then after birmigham the fog came down was getting thicker the further north I went. is truly like pee soup out there now.

glad I'm not planing an early trip out in the morning. could be nasty.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems to have got a little bit better here down South in Thames Valley looking out the window now.

More like a watery minestrone soup now.

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Seems to have got a little bit better here down South in Thames Valley looking out the window now.

Do you mean you can see little assorted chunks of vegetables floating round in it?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
It's been really foggy in Liverpool today, didn't even try to clear which it normally does by about midday.

Most of the ships on the Mersey kept using their fog horns - which made for many a funny comment about bum trumpets and such....
was hell today in Liverpool, sometimes visibilty went from 100 metres to 20 meters in nano seconds reall blanket fog... surprised there wasnt shed loads of accidents

·
ah ha ha ha this nutter posted something :-)
4,319 Posts

Do you mean you can see little assorted chunks of vegetables floating round in it?
No it's lentle spotting.

more like clam chowder up here.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've driven up from Bristol tonight and it wasn't too bad when I left.  The fog didn't really start till I go to Gloucestershire and continued in patches until I got back to Worcestershire.  Saw 3 gritters on the way too and temps dropped down to 2 degrees.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

No it's lentle spotting.

more like clam chowder up here.
What a mess lumps of soggy veg and lentils would make as they splatted into your windscreen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts