Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any specific pointers on what I should be looking for when going to view a PD150? Engine wise they appear to very solid but not having any great experience of driving them I'm a little in the dark about some of the common probles that can occur with the PD engine.

I know all the other stuff to check for of course, this will be my thrid MK4 in three years [:D]

TIA

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Both the 130 and 150 Golfs have a 6-spd box. Im sure the 115PD Golf is only 5-spd (with the bora being 6-spd).

Oh, and 2002 for the 150 i think?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The 115PD was the first to have the 6speed box I think. All TDi's since have had the 6 speed box and the 180bhp 1.8T upwards have it too.

Tabs the main thing to look out for is a dodgy turbo. Leaking oil seals = lots of oil on the undertray which on mine leaked through so it's easy to spot. The usual clutch problem with the pedal sinking to the floor (though I think this is uncommon). Take it for a spin, should be relatively free revving.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I 'd say just the usual stuff to look out for when ever you go to look at a motor .

If you rev it & a big puff of black smoke comes out the rear dont worry, thats normal .lol

Also if the fuel guage doesnt move after 100miles when full, dont worry that normal too.[:)]

The DARK side is calling

·
Registered
131 Posts
lol...sure right about the gauge jace...and the smoke ..also the gearbox can be stiff 1st and 2nd syncro take a bashing..i had 2 pd 150's and there fine ..take 40000miles to limber up ..

·
Registered
131 Posts
personally cant see 60k being a prob as long as the belt has been done ..i do 35k a year and had a 02 brand new and sold it in jan this year ..78k on clock was fine ..?10000...new one has 22k on the clock and is vsi and took 18500 to need service ..personal import ..gearbox prob and few other niggles but vw have come up trumps so far

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 11/10/2004 10:36:00

The DARK side is calling

LOL.

Ill be joining the oil burners soon enough. Got to save some cash..........

Tabs, Good thread matey...[:D]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tabs,

Good luck on your purchase.

I'd reccommend going to a dealer,

and trying a 130 and a 150 'back to back' as it were.

I did this, and ended up buying the 130 [:O]

Jim.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The 115 was also available as a 5 speed (as passat with lower torque figure), but only in lower spec. Had one as a hire car in 2001.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by budgie on 11/10/2004 10:52:25

lol...sure right about the gauge jace...and the smoke ..also the gearbox can be stiff 1st and 2nd syncro take a bashing..i had 2 pd 150's and there fine ..take 40000miles to limber up ..

Mines loosening up just fine [:I]

I agree 1st can be a bit of a crunch if your still moving a bit, but other than I had no problems at all.

Done almost 46k in her since new, last may. Had 3 services, 1pr of front tyres & thats it, although I will need a full set of tyres in the next month.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I think you'll have to be really thrashing her to get less than 40mpg, even crusing at 99mph your still gona get an average of 41.8mpg, well thats what I got on the way to burnley on saturday

My only worry is what am going to get next [:(] Maybe the 170bhp MK5 TDI ive heard thy may be doing next year[^]

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you rev it & a big puff of black smoke comes out the rear dont worry, thats normal .lol

Also if the fuel guage doesnt move after 100miles when full, dont worry that normal too.[:)]

The DARK side is calling

[:D]

You might want to check the cambelt has been changed if they've done 60k+ miles.

Can I also say Welcome to the Dark Side.

·
Registered
646 Posts
From the buyer having mine inspected before I sold it, recommend that you pull the engine cover off for a closer look. Mine was weeping from and inlet on the rocker cover (nothing serious but worth checking all the same)

At 60K I'd check about the cambelt as I think this is a grey area for time/distance. Oh and the usual brakes and suspension stuff......but knowing you this will be put in the shed from the first week anyway [;)][;)] Happy hunting mate.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
HIGH MILES:

TDi's can generally be considered to accept 50% more miles over petrol car.

VW's will run around 50% more miles over other lesser makes before showing signs of age (provided they're serviced properly)

So, expect 60k before a TDi is properly run-in, and 100k is no problem.

The TDi should see 200k no probs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My only worry is what am going to get next [:(] Maybe the 170bhp MK5 TDI ive heard thy may be doing next year[^]

my mate drove the vw transporter with the 170bhp tdi lump and said it was kin fast and well worth a drive i rekon that will be awesome in a car chipped up

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought a 130 on a 51 (2002) plate with 90,370 on the clock and 3,700mls later, I've had no problems (hopefully not jinxing it now!)

Generally, if you are buying ex-fleet, you will get a full service history including details of when the timing belt was changed. My golf was serviced at the same dealer for all 90,000 mls, which helps in the consistency of the history.

I know you have had other mk4s, but when looking at high mileage vehicles, I find one of the best things to look for is the drivers door handle - how scratched it is (in my opinion) tells you the type of driving that its done - very scratched means lots of opening and closing and turning the engine off, short journeys etc..

I paid ?9000 from a dealer for mine at the end of August.

Good Luck - and do take the two test drives back to back. I did with the 130 & a 115 and I never thought the two would be so different!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm always a big supporter of high mileage cars.

It MUST have a full service history, but if so, the engines will go on and on.

My 1.8T had 142k miles on it when I sold it and it was still running absolutely

sweetly. No puffs of oil or even a slight hint of turbo failure, cam train clacked

over the same as it had done since new, no excess noise or rattling from anything.

Only thing to look out for is the usual wear and tear points. Around 3 years with a

reasonable amount of mileage, it is likely that the rear suspension bushes will need

doing and the front shocks will probably have had it too. Only problem is that it is

difficult to sell on a car with over 120k on the clock no matter how good it is. I had

very little interest in mine until I lowered the price enough (was probably a bit optimistic)

but the first person who looked at it saw it's condition and the big folder of receipts

and snapped it up! Whatever you do, take your time. My biggest regret is rushing in to buying

my current car which is an absolute pig!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts