Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking through the search function i am getting a bit confussed about what to put in my 150 pd!

Can anyone please tell me which one to go for?

Tam

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi

Any oil of a good brand with 505.01 or 506.01 specs can be used.
Castrol TXT 505.01 5w40 or the Castrol SLX Long Life II 0W30 506.01 (is what VW use).

cheers,

fLA

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Its also important for the unit injectors and thier cams, they are designed to work with 5.0.1 (upwards). 'Normal' oil will shear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where did people find a supply of the 'edge'? As I doubt my local Halfords woiuld be up to it, or am I going to be surprised??

B

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great!! Well if my local one hasn't got any (Winnersh, Nr Reading) then I'll drop into Enfield on the way to my mates in E17 on Saturday. Here's a daft Q as I haven't crawled under the car yet. Can you get to the sump drain plug without taking the engince sheild/sound proofer panel off? If so which side is it if your looking from the front of the car?

Cheers

Barry

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry to drag up this old thread but i've seached and searched and can't find the answer to my question other than this post, but i just want to check:

I need to carry out an oil change on my 03 plate TDI 150 - its on annual / 10k servicing, can someone confirm the oil i need?

I assume that my servicing is classed as "fixed" and not "variable"?

Is it this? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164264_langId_-1_categoryId_165581?messageId=SUMP_SIZE_MESSAGE&messageParam=4.50#dtab

Is it cheaper from VW or from Halfords?

Thanks, Ben.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Phoned my local stealer and they quoted me £64.86 for 5x 1ltr Castol SLX Longlife III - even though i told him my PD150 was on fixed servicing he said "we recommend using the longlife oil".

Is he talking out of his ars*?

Whats the difference between the Quantum oil and the Castrol?

Yes that will do it but you can get 5litres of Quantum PD 5w/40 from your dealer for less than £30

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The longlife oil obviously is better and it would be the best to use but since it's double the price nearly some would not see the point in using it for fixed. Just to clarify the one on Halfords you are looking at is not longlife either.

The part number you want from the dealer is ZGB115QLB00462.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts