Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I got a promotion at work as Group IT supervisor which I was over the moon about but it will mean i'll have to do a fair bit of travelling, we have 12 sites all over the UK and the S3 is gonna kill me in fuel [V]

Having only owned my S3 for 6 weeks, i'm having thoughts about selling it and getting another MK4 TDI....about time I did something sensible lol.

Haven't decided what to do yet but I thought i'd test a PD150 today, OMG I was well impressed. Conmpared to my previous chipped 110, the pull on this thing was absolutely amazing, a big difference indeed. Had a test drive for about an hour and it was so much fun, I'd go as far to say it actually felt quicker than my S3 (which is standard).

The handling on the other had was bloody awful, the raods were a bit wet today and I had the ESP on but still had difficulty getting the power down, think i managed to spin it in third!

Switched the ESP off and blimey...nearly wrote the thing off but I had to push it hard as it was my only opportunity - being an unsupervised test drive [:D]

Think the handling could be put right with the usual 18's and suspension but if I do decide to get rid of the Audi I would have to go for an Anni TDI so that would hopefully handle a bit better.

But on the whole, very, very impressed [:D][:D]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congrats on the new job mate [:D]

Shame about having to sell the S3 [:(]

Trade it in for a PD150 Anni!! Defo better than a standard PD150 in term of handling. Set of Eibach ARBs and you'll be sorted [:D]

·
Registered
283 Posts
What's the difference in the Ani and the Std 150pd suspension?

The handling on mine has always been my biggest gripe but I don't really use it for fun, more for its economy and cruising ability.

Just curious about the different suspensions as I had heard they were the same?

If you get a 150pd and you want to have fun throwing it around I'd defo get the suspension sorted as you'll find it dissapoints a keen driver. Would say that bigger wheels = more unsprung weight so that wouldn't help either.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
[:O]I so sad that you may have to sell the S3, Sem[V] but for pratical reasons, I understand why you would get a PD150 for the mileage you will need to do for work.[|)] Power + Economy = PD150[;)]

Congrats on the promotion also[:D]

·
Registered
990 Posts
The 18's on the Anni will make it handle a bit better, but it has the same setup as the GTI. It does however have the 312 fronts and 256 vented rear brakes[8D]

I personally think the Anni is overpriced used, plus I didn't like the fact that options were few and far between.

Buying used a std GTI will be better value for money.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by 4low on 21/11/2004 13:34:15

Keep the s3 get her chipped 280+ bhp 4wd no comparison.

And how will that help his fuel economy, his main reason for wanting to change?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by dc on 21/11/2004 12:42:10

The 18's on the Anni will make it handle a bit better, but it has the same setup as the GTI. It does however have the 312 fronts and 256 vented rear brakes[8D]

I personally think the Anni is overpriced used, plus I didn't like the fact that options were few and far between.

Buying used a std GTI will be better value for money.

I've considered going down the standard PD150 route as the Anni would still need a bit of work on the handling, i'm thinking why not spend that on a stock car? I've also learnt that 'less is more', just look at Matty V5's gorgeous MK4:

Posted Image

That IMO looks perfect...a bodykit, bumper, skirts etc would spoil it.

I'd rather spend a little on rims and suspension and create something that looks as good as that rather than go over the top like I did with my last mk4. One of the main reasons I got rid was because I couldn't leave it parked anywhere without worrying about it, I was also craving more power so the S3 seemed like a perfect replacement - it had everything I wanted and was not so 'in you face' [:D]

I've done the whole 'modding' thing now and i'd rather have a quick car that handles well rather than one that looks pretty!

But I guess if I can find a cheap Anni TDI that would also be nice [:D]

·
Registered
794 Posts
wow that golf looks nice

I have a standard TDI PD150 with revo and love the power. The guy who loaded the revo software for me owns a wicked looking S3 and he was amazed at the PD150 running the revo software.

He was talking about selling his S3 for a anni PD.

Sometimes I do feel I should have brought the anni, but that extra few grand ...well is it worth it. Maybe .

But like you say adding a set of wheels, lowered and just be enough. The simple looking golfs sometimes look the best IMHO.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you want to know how a sorted/chipped PD150 runs, ask Tabs about Reflex's Anni........

.......not lest we forget NikB's Nitrous Anni PD150 too!!!

My PD130 is still going well i hear - i was on the phone last week with the buyer, clearing up a quick question.

He was running it with the tuning box and let his mate with a Cupra-R have a go in it......reckoned the PD was pretty close behind for performance.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
well there was a guy at our rolling road day managed 214 bhp from an anni TDI

Bisset J is his user name

no one knows how he got that but all the other figs were bang on so the rollers werent out i dont think

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well done Sem! [:D]

I'm well pleased with mine (LOL @ Foxy!), having sorted the weak points of the car.

Don't rush into anything - that S3 is a lovely car and you've only just got it. Changing cars generally involves expense and the only reason you are thinking of a change is to save money. Enjoy it for a while!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't fancy a new model A3 TDI Sem [;)]

If you remember i bought Wish's A3, for the same reason as you i'm in IT, and did quite a few mile, but now i've been promoted and don't do the mileage now!

I have been looking for an S3 for the past few weeks...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts