Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been researching this as my standard DMF rattles when the ignition is turned off and when idling, are the smf ok on the 150 and can you even get a 6 speed kit as ive only seen the 5 speed? just how noiser are they.... sorry if its a repost

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
yes SMF is available for the 6 speed.

It seems the SMF can be noisier on the 6 speed box compared to the 5 speed box.

If your not going over 200 bhp and 300 ft-lb torque then consider sticking with DMF.

If your a hard driver and going to be abusing the clutch/flywheel quite often with race starts and lots of flooring through max torque then SMF is best option.

I guess its all down to how much power/torque you run, how its delivered .... and your prefared driving style.

SMF for 6 speed is available from awesome gti but im unsure about price of the unit alone. Helix clutch with SMF from awesome gti is around £800.

There will be cheaper places, i think valeo make a 6 speed SMF too.

Some people say the SMF is too noisey..... even though most have never even fitted them.

People who have fitted SMF will tell you its louder than DMF but they are ok to live with it for its performance advantages.

Im yet to hear of SMF users compaining about failure .... yet everyday it seems there are new DMF failures.

The choice is yours, decide whats best suited to you and your car .... Decide how often your willing to replace DMF's .... or how much your willing to drive like my grandad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts