Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject gets a little bit on people nerves but I want to share and ask other peoples experiences.

Before I had my car remapped I could drive a long distance journey (were talking about 240 miles) at a constant;

- 80mph and my car would constantly return about 52mpg.

- 70mph I could get 56mpg

- 60mph I could return 65mpg+.

After the remap doing the same speeds I'm only seeing;

- 80mph - 42mpg

- 70mph - 48mpg

- 60mph - 58mpg

(just to clarify, this is going by the Average MPG computer which almost always seems to read about 2-3mpg higher than actual, so the figures are fairly accurate)

Does the drop in mpg seem a bit steep for a remap? I've only have it remapped to 170bhp but not done on a rolling road. I replaced the turbo shortly after the remap due to the sooting turbo etc. Just want other people experiences on fuel consumption after a remap. (I have done no modding as of yet, only mod is the remap)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Remapped mine to 180 bhp, with all the newer silicone hosing from turbo up to the EGR delete, plus slightly bigger new SMIC (intercooler). Perhaps thats adding an extra couple of horsepower. I've got bigger S3 brakes too, you need better stopping power when youre getting close to 200horepower.

I'm seeing about 5mpg more (better) than you are at 80mph & 70mph. At 60mph, I would be about 60mpg from what I remember, distance of around 25 miles (my normal commute). Mine was a blacksmoke remap, all done via my laptop.

If you're heavy footed at lower speeds round town, your ECU may "think" you are and may fuel the car accordingly. I tend to drive mine pretty slow, and only "boot it" when I really have to (i.e rather selfish motorway overtakes, Audi style!! utilising the 310lbft available).

Why not try and clean your MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner, or test it for its performance (is it working?). Unplug it and go for a drive. If the car is sluggish, its working fine. If theres no change in performance whilst unplugged, its buggered.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car is by no means 'sluggish', just seems to drink fuel on runs. I've tested this with the cruise control maintaining constant speeds the entire way, just seems to be eating fuel since it was remapped back in October. I replaced the temp sensor which had failed and that sorted part of the problem.

If it is the MAF sensor, then it might be 'on its way' or dirty, but it must be working because the car isn't sluggish.

Just wondering if it's because the car needs a rolling road remap. I had the remap done by someone in a van who comes to you and sends the map off and a custom map is made up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, might be worth seeing what it's like in the summer then. Not got high hopes for it though, lol!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i've not long remapped my mates 130 to 165, he had complained of poor mpg, but then drove it hard and it came back,,,, but it is also in dire need of a service, which i'll do as he aint the best on cars!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.