Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i've searched before everyone rolls their eyes :p

Rear disc and pads are going to need to be changed soon. I've had it remapped and obviously am looking for something a bit better to stop with too!

I'm not looking for major size upgrades, if any because the rears do very little anyway.

I was going to buy just some EBC green or Red stuff pads, with some EBC discs, but upon researching everyones using different combinations.

I haven't got a fortune to spend, but i'm looking for a decent set, so what is a decent combination to go for with a standard set up?

Thanks!

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has ever had their rear brakes cooking when in a mild state of tune, if those brakes are in good condition, ie. OEM pads and discs, clean, newish, air-free fluid, hoses all serviceable, etc. Have you had problems?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I dont know if the 130 tdi has the same size rear discs as my 150 tdi but they seem so small they allmost hide behind the centre caps on my alloys.

Ive just asked the same question too on a brake upgrade for the rear of my car, if i was leaving my fronts alone i would also leave the rears but im going to upgrade the front discs and calipers, common sense tell me to make the rears a bit better too.

If i find the solution i will let you know.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Well, you might want to trawl the net for some good info. Have you lowered and stiffened your suspension? If you haven't, by upgrading your front brakes (and hopefully tyres as well, in order to apply the braking force to the road) you'll need very little braking at the rear due to weight transfer. I'd say that brakes, dampers and springs should be 'upgraded' at roughly the same time....

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
the 256 x 22 mm seems like the upgrade for the rear ....... however as tri mentions, there is little point in upgrading the rear without good reason. Start with upgrading the front first. I wouldnt even bother changing disc size on the rear unless your at least upgrading disc/caliper setup on the front.

A simple performance disc and pad upgrade all round (standard size) should give you much better braking improvement compared to just upgrading the rear caliper and disc size alone.

Decide what your doing at the front before you think of changing rear caliper and larger disc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts