Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. How's it going? I've got a mk4 ASZ PD130 and I'm having a little issue with that's it's had since I got it 6 years ago. The guy I bought it off said it was mapped to about 180bhp, but the boost pressure kept blowing the hose off the standard side mount, but would damage the plastic in the process meaning that he would have to replace the intercooler every time. He replaced it twice then he eventually had it remapped again but to 150bhp. Whoever has done it hasn't done it properly. It seems to have more power/throttle response when I have my foot half down opposed to full flat to the floor. I think they just messed with the fueling or the boost pressure. Question is, would anyone be able to tell if its been messed with by plugging it in to either diagnostic or remap tool? If not I'm considering buying an £80 mapped, immo deleted ECU from Ebay to see if it sorts it and if it does keep that, or take it to Darkside and ask them to map it properly, however it's pretty expensive for the cost of a 20 year old car.
I'm not ever going to sell the car and done mind spending a bit of money on it. It's my daily so not looking at crazy power as it needs to remain reliable. Any help or suggestions appreciated.
TIA.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well before I spend £500 at Darkside, I was wondering if there was anything else I should be looking at. Any other components that could be causing it besides a bad map. Could it be a MAF, boost solenoid etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone run a diagnostic check for sensor failure or a smoke test for boost leak injectors could be blocked not letting enough fuel into the engine or could do with a good service I.e filters blocking when was that last done I only said take it to darkside because they would know we're to look if it wasn't a bad map

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a copy of VCDS and it doesn't show any engine related faults. Don't have the means of doing a smoke test at home that I know of. Service wise it's well up to date. I do the oil and filters twice a year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
£500 is not an obscene amount darkside have put years into developing there maps and know every little problem that arise with mapping a car like blowing intercooler off and fueling issues both this guy has

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys the money isn't that big a deal. It's a daily driven Golf that I've had for years and plan to run into its grave. I don't think £500 is too much to spend on a map, if your car is running correctly beforehand. However, mine isn't. Rather than spend £500 on a map to them be told it needs something else like an injector etc which then adds up to an obscene amount, I thought I'd ask on here first. These cars have been around for donkeys and I can't be the first person to have had these symptoms. It could be completely unrelated to the map, they could have flashed it with a standard map and bullshitted the guy for all I know, or he straight up lied about "150bhp map" and shoved an immo deleted ebay ECU on it before he sold it.
The car no longer blows off boost pipes. It gets driven hard sometimes and it would have done it in the last 6 years if it was still an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been looking on the Internet for symptoms same as yours and can't seem to find any my first guess would be a bad map with not knowing who did it or what map it is I'd then smoke test for boost leak could have a small hole that opens up when pressure builds up I decent mechanic should be able to help then I'd check my injectors ring darkside and tell them you symptoms they will be able to advise what's best for you

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
if the pipes are all standard including the intercooler 9 out of 10 times the clamp that should hold it in, lost it's strenght... and it is quite common on tuned pd's... Darkside/eBay and a few other places sell an adaptor that allows you to use a normal pipe and clamps... there are also a few hacks regarding this issue ( drilling and securing it with a self tapper, or using 2 exhaust clamps, all can be found in the how2's, use the mk4 index topic ;) )

so yeah if you have pipes that keep popping off it usually is the material that has worn down and doesn't keep the connector in it's place, instead off thinking it is the map, just examine the intercooler connector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts