Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got talking to a chap yesturday, who was telling me the late pd130's use the exact same turbo as the pd150.... Is this true ???

So I suppose the only difference is the front mounted intercooler ????

Can anyone confirm this....

Cheers haps

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
No thats wrong mate, the later 1.8t petrols (150 and 180) used the same turbo so perhaps this is where he is getting confused. The differences between 130 and 150 are turbo, intercooler, injectors cam and ecu. amonsgt other little bits and bats, sports suspension etc.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
No thats wrong mate, the later 1.8t petrols (150 and 180) used the same turbo so perhaps this is where he is getting confused. The differences between 130 and 150 are turbo, intercooler, injectors cam and ecu. amonsgt other little bits and bats, sports suspension etc.
Where did you get the info regarding the cam and injectors??? You have been miss informed. The actually whole engine including injectors are the same between the 2. Dont know about the newer PD130s but both use a VNT 17 turbo that on the inside are identicle to look at but inside the compressor wheel and turbine on the 150 are slightly larger. the other difference is the intercooler and ecu software. Both the PD130 and PD150 also share the same gearbox, driveshafts etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking with the guy again... he's adament that the only difference between the LATE-pd130 and pd150 are the mapping of the ecu and intercooler...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Checking with the guy again... he's adament that the only difference between the LATE-pd130 and pd150 are the mapping of the ecu and intercooler...
mtctechnics - Can email you some pdf reports/road tests on the Golf tdi 130 & 150 if you want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dooh, the email bounced for some reason, maybe the pdf's were to big, so have sent you some links instead to them instead.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
oh right sorry, had read it on here a while ago, knew the drivetrain was the same and the engine block/head itself, so the turbo is the same externally just different internals?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh right sorry, had read it on here a while ago, knew the drivetrain was the same and the engine block/head itself, so the turbo is the same externally just different internals?
No... He was saying the turbos on the later spec pd130's are exactly the same including the internals.... And!!! The only difference is ecu mapping.

The earlier pd130's have a smaller turbo internal tho...

Anyhow I'm no expert so I thats why I thought i'd post on here [Y]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I would take what you heard about the turbo with a pinch of salt. Just checked ETOS which is the latest version and covers up to the last year of the mkiv and it does not list the turbo as the same as the PD150. Part number for the turbo on the PD130 is the same from day one as is the number for the PD150.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Differences are IC, turbo (130 has a VNT1749VA and 150 a VNT1749VB) and gearbox ratios (130 are actually a bit larger).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Not really true, ratios on both models can change over the years, some have longer 6th than others depending on year and gearbox code. My gearbox code is ERF and a mates PD150 is ERF (both 2003). Ive done comparisons with his and the road speed per gear is identicle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not really true, ratios on both models can change over the years, some have longer 6th than others depending on year and gearbox code. My gearbox code is ERF and a mates PD150 is ERF (both 2003). Ive done comparisons with his and the road speed per gear is identicle.
OK, thanks for the info.

I'll put it this way then, most 130's have slightly larger ratio gearboxes than most ARL's. To be honest all Golf's 150's that I know share the same gearbox ratios - the FWD ones I mean, as the 4 Motion's as you surely know have noticable shorter gear ratios in order to compensate the extra weight of the haldex.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Where did you get the info regarding the cam and injectors??? You have been miss informed. The actually whole engine including injectors are the same between the 2. Dont know about the newer PD130s but both use a VNT 17 turbo that on the inside are identicle to look at but inside the compressor wheel and turbine on the 150 are slightly larger. the other difference is the intercooler and ecu software. Both the PD130 and PD150 also share the same gearbox, driveshafts etc.
Believe the compressor wheel on the PD150 version is titanium?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts