Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my secondary question has been kind of lost in the other thread... :)

I was wondering how far the PD115 engines can be pushed,
power-wise? I've seen the custom-code and Jabbasport websites
mention 145-150Bhp from a Stage 2 Remap, but what further upgrades can
be carried out and how much extra can be got? I'm aware that
you're into the realm of diminishing returns, but I'm curious as to how
far you can push them and how much it'd cost...

Nice Guy Mike

·
Registered
200 Posts
As my secondary question has been kind of lost in the other thread... :)

I was wondering how far the PD115 engines can be pushed, power-wise? I've seen the custom-code and Jabbasport websites mention 145-150Bhp from a Stage 2 Remap, but what further upgrades can be carried out and how much extra can be got? I'm aware that you're into the realm of diminishing returns, but I'm curious as to how far you can push them and how much it'd cost...

Nice Guy Mike
PD TDI115's are pretty much limited by their small turbo (VNT15). Switch that and significant power gains are easy.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
The 115PD has a VNT-15 turbo, the 130PD has a VNT-17 (apparently, I
thought it was a 15 but someone assured me theirs was a 17) .

Just do what I done, fit a nice BIG 150PD turbo & a re-map[:)][:)]

Lee

·
Registered
990 Posts
I believe the 115 has a vnt17, due to the high torque output from the engine (210lbs/ft v 229 lbs/ft for the 130). The vnt15 as fitted to the 110 non pd and 100 pd is not designed for torque outputs over 200 lbs/ft.

The other limiting factors are the injectors and boost valve (N75). Change these parts, along with the 130/150 maf and you can expect similar outputs to a remapped 130 or 150.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The other limiting factors are the injectors and boost valve (N75). Change these parts, along with the 130/150 maf and you can expect similar outputs to a remapped 130 or 150.
Is the Maf a straight swap and can you do this before anything else? if so does anyone know the part number [:)]

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I'm 99% sure they do use a VNT-15, it definitely isn't a VNT-17as when I took my old turbo out it was nowhere near the same size as the 150PD turbo.

Yes, you could exchange the injectors, but there not cheap.

I also swapped over to the 130 MAF and changed the 115PD N75 valve to a 130PD one, I didn't really see much power gains (unlike RichardW) but it made the power delivery much smoother.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Is the Maf a straight swap and can you do this before anything else? if so does anyone know the part number [:)]
Yes, the MAF is a straight swap.

Part no's for the 130PD MAF & N75 valve can be found here: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/107533/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
exploded view of the turbo and manifolds of engine AJM(PD115) and ATD(PD100), its the same set up and turbo and also exploded view of turbo and manifolds of both ASZ and ARL(130/150), the turbos are definately different, 130/150 turbo are identicle in physical size and appearance but internally different.first pic 130/150. does anyone know what engine is the AXR? it shares same inlet manifold of the 130/150 but smaller turbo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
861 Posts
cheers micky, id like some conclusive proof either way.

all i can tell you for a fact is: The inlet mainfold on the 115 (ajm) is significantly smaller than the manifold on the 130

the pipe work from the airbox to the turbo is bigger/fatter on the 130 compared to the 115

the 150 is the same turbo as the 130 except for the titanium compressor wheel.

id like to see the turbos with my own eyes :)

hey dc the maf is the same on the 130 as on the 115, its the enclosure (holder) thats slightly bigger on the 130 this giving a different part number.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I thought the VNT-15 was a 110 part, the VNT-17 was for the 115 and 130 and the 150 used a different, further changed, VNT-17....

Don't forget the inlet and outlets can be different for different car applications for the same turbo as it's the compressor wheel/housing which stays the same.

Then again I could be wrong.... (it has been known[;)])

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Wallacel,

I guess you swap the manifold as well and all the pipework to the airbox. How much gain in power did you see.

Didn't you need to change the injectors? and consider changing the
intercooler and pipe work. I thought 150 bhp had larger bore pipework?

The bottom end on 150bhp is a lot stronger, piston are different so are
the con rods, far stronger than the 115 / 130 bhp version.

I've a 150bhp engine stripped down and its different from 115/130 bhp engine.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
so have you stripped a 130 too? or just a 115? theres a guy on tdiclub.com who has genuinly messed with these engines and he says the130/150 bottom end is the same, the 150 engine was designed and then detuned for the 130 car with the 115 discontinued for the Golf.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I've seen them stripped I haven't done it myself.

I might be wrong, thats what I was shown.

There might be difference between early and late 130bhp engines.

I know the 150bhp has a stronger bottom end and better pipe work, injectors etc.

Nice if someone could confirm this 100%.

I guess people like Allard or other tuning firms could confirm this.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ive seen part numbers and they all match, so they have to be the same.... by the end of the week il have access to them and will post them, i will compare between the PD100,115,130 and 150. also 130 has same oil cooler as 150.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
ive seen part numbers and they all match, so
they have to be the same.... by the end of the week il have access to
them and will post them, i will compare between the PD100,115,130 and
150. also 130 has same oil cooler as 150.
Good man, Look forward to seeing that.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Wallacel,

I guess you swap the manifold as well and all the pipework to the airbox. How much gain in power did you see.

Didn't you need to change the injectors? and consider changing the intercooler and pipe work. I thought 150 bhp had larger bore pipework?

The bottom end on 150bhp is a lot stronger, piston are different so are the con rods, far stronger than the 115 / 130 bhp version.

The manifold comes with the turbo, the only 'extra' work needed was to re-route the pipework to the intercooler.

Not sure how much power was gained as I haven't had it on a rolling road, but its noticeably different, and worth doing.

The turbo doesn't need the larger intercooler. Amar is running his 110TDI with a 150 turbo, bigger injectors & a custom code, is still using the standard intercooler.

In all, i'd definitely recommend it, the car feels alot more 'beefier', the surge of power is excellent and the mpg has also improved.

HTH

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
ive seen part numbers and they all match, so they have to be the same.... by the end of the week il have access to them and will post them, i will compare between the PD100,115,130 and 150. also 130 has same oil cooler as 150.
Found this thread on TDiClub - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=140020 look for the post from Eric Maurier he's listed crank, rods, pistons, cyl head, etc part numbers. Does it help?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts