Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Sorry to ask this as I am sure there's loads of stuff on the site already but I can't seem to get the search facility to work. My car has been on the 10k service interval regime from new and is supposed to get 505.01 oil which I think is a semi-synthetic. Could I be using the Long life oil, which is fully-synthetic, I know it's more expensive but would it be better for the car? I always usd fully synthetic in my Mk3 Tdi and it seems silly to downgrade.[:$]

Thanks

Wallace

·
Registered
387 Posts
Longlife oil will not cause any problems but if you're going to use it, you may as well have your car put on the longlife service regime.

Sarge

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry maybe I should have put down more info. My car is a 2000 115Pd and apparently doesn't have variable service. My wifes does however and we have been using long life oil. My idea partly is then that we only need to buy one type of oil which will do both cars and should be an upgrade for mine. Where is the best place to buy long life now? I got it from Halfords the last time.[^o)]

Cheers

Wallace

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sorry maybe I should have put down more info. My car is a 2000 115Pd and apparently doesn't have variable service. My wifes does however and we have been using long life oil. My idea partly is then that we only need to buy one type of oil which will do both cars and should be an upgrade for mine. Where is the best place to buy long life now? I got it from Halfords the last time.[^o)]

Cheers

Wallace
My VW dealer said my Sep 2001 115PD could go to variable at the 2nd service ~ 20,000 miles, but as I do only about 9000 miles a year it just wasn't worth it for me. I do top up with the variable service oil.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Its always worth phoning the dealer up and asking about oil sales...sometimes they sell off 25 litre cans very reasonably (although I've only seen the regular PD oil cheaply myself).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a few posts on when I first got the care 2 years ago and it seems although it had all the relevant bits the ecu can't be set for variable service. I think I maybe do too many miles anyway but I would like to use the better oil if it would be good for the car also.

Thanks

Wallace

·
Registered
843 Posts
I use the VW oil think its about ?60 for 5 litres but when you know some one that works there and the car on average hold 4 litres what happens to the left over litre!!!! Well thank you very much!! [:D]

I own the 115 pd golf

·
Registered
34 Posts
After reading around the topic of PD oil specs I have confused my little self! I have recently had my 2002 130 tdi oil changed and the garage (who I told about the PD situation) have put in Triple R fully syntheic 0/30. On the back it says it meets VW 502.00/503.01/505.00 along with a host of other German makes. Is this stuff going to be ok or do I need to get it changed?

Cheers in advance, Dave.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My gut feeling is that it's not good enough 502.00/505.00 definatly not good enough,i'm just not sure on what 503.01 is for off top of my head,i will have a look tommorow and if no one has answered i will let you know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thta would be great. Get the feeling I would have to put together a bit of a case before the garage I had it done at would do anything about it!

Cheers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The VW data I have is

Standard servicing (every 10,000 miles) VW spec 505.01 (what I use)

Variable life servicing 506.01 or 507.00

·
Registered
990 Posts
Wallace, check the datasticker in your boot or owners manual, if it has the code QG1 or QG2 the car left the factory on longlife. All MY2000 golf/bora/passat models had this as std. If you have this then your stealer is talking pish (like most of them do).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Might be useful...

This is the break down of oil types for VW diesel engines:

VW505.00

Basically for all of the older diesel (read non-PD) diesel engines:

1.6 & 1.9 D/TD/SDI/TDI90/TDI110 & 2.5TDI & 3.3TDI

VW505.01

For Diesel PD engines:

1.4TDI & 1.9PD's (115/130/150) & 2.0

VW506.01

As above but for variable service (extended range servicing).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for all the replies I will get onto the garage in question.

I take it the spec I want is the one mentioned in the earlier post detailing all the various specs?

Am I ok to use the car until I get it changed?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You need 505.01 for normal servicing or 506.01/507.00 for Longlife.

I have seen engines need replacing becuase of the wrong oil being used on PD engines but it is impossible to say how long running on the wrong oil it would take to cause that king of damage,just get it done asap mate.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
That stuff would be ok if it was a petrol or non pd diesel,to be fair they have at least used a longlife oil which sort of suggests they may have been supplied wrong by there supplier who may not be up on the codes,lets face it it can get confusing.I know they have used Longlife oil but are you on longlife,do you know? do you get it done every year or 10k or when it tells you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts