Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning chaps, on way to work this morning my oil level warning light came on whole I was on motorway, the cars getting a service next week do just need a top up until then.

Thing is iv only got a few petrol stations and a Tesco near work! What oil if any can I get from Tesco that is ok to put in a PD? As said its only for a week

Cheers

Paul...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I only use dealer specific PD oil 5w40 Is what they give me. But if your oil is low any oil (small amount is better than no oil) if your that desperate have you checked the dipstick since the light as been on ?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The light will not go out until you open the bonnet. You may well find it doesn't come back on before you get to next week. I'd expect the level to be at the bottom of the hatched area on the dipstick which is borderline but should be fine.

If once you've opened the bonnet the light comes back on immediately you start the engine then you'll probably want to top it up a bit.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a 1.4 petrol but the same thing happened to me, luckily I was 100metres from Tesco. I wouldn't recommend using cheap oil like that all the time but if it's gonna have a service next week, as said already, any oil is better than no oil

What I did find too is that running it that low on oil made the tappets quite loud, so when I came to do my oil change I bought some engine/oil flush, put it in for 15 mins before the change and then drained and put the new oil in. Runs a lot smoother and quieter now

·
Registered
88 Posts
The most important part is not mixing synthetic & mineral - other than that, as others have said, any oil is better than none !

However, if your car is using oil, you want to be checking it on a regular basis - the oil light isn't a "you might want to think about putting some in", it's more "DANGEROUSLY LOW ON OIL" warning.....

Sorry if I'm sounding like an a*se ! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't the PD engines have a Diesel Particulate Filter; if so, you need to make sure you use oil 505.01 as replacing DPF is costly!!

[quote user="Mk1Golf"]
The most important part is not mixing synthetic & mineral - other than that, as others have said, any oil is better than none !

However, if your car is using oil, you want to be checking it on a regular basis - the oil light isn't a "you might want to think about putting some in", it's more "DANGEROUSLY LOW ON OIL" warning.....

Sorry if I'm sounding like an a*se ! :)
[/quote]

I agree with this apart from "The most important part is not mixing synthetic & mineral" - not 100% true as generally (apart from a few rare occurrences) all oil mix fine & i work for an oil company

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for the replies guys, had a look and it was just at bottom of the hashed marker on the dipstick, got some oil from a local factors near home job sorted.....

Paul...

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
[quote user="Dunstall"]

I have a 1.4 petrol but the same thing happened to me, luckily I was 100metres from Tesco. I wouldn't recommend using cheap oil like that all the time but if it's gonna have a service next week, as said already, any oil is better than no oil

What I did find too is that running it that low on oil made the tappets quite loud, so when I came to do my oil change I bought some engine/oil flush, put it in for 15 mins before the change and then drained and put the new oil in. Runs a lot smoother and quieter now

[/quote]

Not on a PD engine it isnt!

And never oil flush a PD either!

·
Registered
276 Posts
[quote user="Nellybobs"]

cheers for the replies guys, had a look and it was just at bottom of the hashed marker on the dipstick, got some oil from a local factors near home job sorted.....

Paul...

[/quote]

nice one dude better to be safe than sorry at least it will see you right untill next week :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.