Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to buy a Mk 4 golf turbodiesel, and I want one that has good fuel mileage. Which Golf IV engines have the PD system installed to give better fuel efficiency?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
In theory the 100 will be the most fuel efficient for the simple reason that more power in a diesel engine is produced by burning more fuel - ergo the one with the least power will use the least fuel.....[:)]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does the 100 have the six speed gearbox though? All the others do but I dont know about that one. The 6spd obviously will give better fuel consumption on a motorway run.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
PD is VW's current injection technology. Its more noisey than common
rail (ie Pug HDi) as it has fixed pilot injections. But
it does allow almost double the pressure good for economy and
performance.

The best engine choice would be the 130 TDi. It's tuneable if you want to tune it. It's got almost no lag and I'd image the fuel economy is good too.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Reading the article the SDis don't have a turbo either..... Basically on the MkIV you need to be looking at TDis and not SDis and make sure it's 2001 or newer for PD technology.

Does the 100 have the six speed gearbox though? All the others do but I dont know about that one. The 6spd obviously will give better fuel consumption on a motorway run.
Yes, you're right the six speed does make 1mpg difference between the 100 and the 115, but as you rightly say it will only make a difference on the motorway.

Interestingly enough the 130 has the same figures as the 100 so the three are covered by 1mpg. It comes down to what you want the car for - the 130/150 offer the best tuning base, the 115 and 100 will be cheaper and more economical in the real world. You pays ya money and takes ya choice!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
If it's 90bhp or 110bhp then it's not a pd engine, it's an older rotary engine. Fuel economy is basically the same, but if I had the money I'd go for a pd.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
PD is VW's current injection technology. Its more noisey than common rail (ie Pug HDi) as it has fixed pilot injections. But it does allow almost double the pressure good for economy and performance.

The best engine choice would be the 130 TDi. It's tuneable if you want to tune it. It's got almost no lag and I'd image the fuel economy is good too.
some might say the 115 is the better choice....its 3 insurance groups lower, cheaper but still has the 6 speed on and can be chipped, boxed or re-mapped to kick sand in a std 130's face..with the same mpg, can even be put on variable servicing (the later versions).

Paul (115 owner.....[;)])

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, you're right Paul, but from a chassis tuning perspective - you can bolt a 312mm brake conversion onto a 130, you'd have to change the hubs before you could do that on a 115.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you're right Paul, but from a chassis tuning perspective - you can bolt a 312mm brake conversion onto a 130, you'd have to change the?hubs before you could do that on a 115.
Change the... hubs?

Do you mean those wheel thingies?

And, speaking of brakes, do the Mk4 TDIs have power-assisted brakes?

And does the red lettering on the TDI logo have anything to do with the power, i.e. the ones with a red T and silver DI are less powerful than the ones with a red TD and silver I?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Yes I think they do have power assisted brakes.

The badges thing - there have been arguements about this in the past! The way I see it is:

Pre-pd technology (so pre 2000ish)
TDI (all silver) = 90bhp
TDI (red I) = not sure, 100bhp?
TDI (Red D&I) = 110bhp

PD Engines:
TDI (all silver) = 100bhp
TDI (Red I) = 115bhp
TDI (Red D&I) = 130bhp
TDI (All Red) = 150bhp
Also, some 150bhp diesels have GTI on them too.

I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone though

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Change the... hubs? Do you mean those wheel thingies?
No, not just the wheel thingies.......[;)] I mean the whole upright that the shock bolts into, with the steering arms and the brakes, oh yes, and the thing the wheel bolts onto.....

And, speaking of brakes, do the Mk4 TDIs have power-assisted brakes?
Yes, all the MkIVs have 'power assisted brakes', only these days they're called servos and yes all the mkIVs have them.

WITH MY CHANGES....

Pre-pd technology (so pre 2000ish)
TDI (all silver) = 90bhp
TDI (red I) = 110bhp?

PD Engines:
TDI (Red D&I) = 100(with black rub strips) - 115&130bhp(with body coloured rub strips)
TDI (All Red) = 150bhp
Also, some 150bhp diesels have GTI on them too.

I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone though - YES ..... ME[:D]
... but not all cars are badged correctly, either intentionally or unintentionally.
Yup, that's why whatever is intended to badge correctly is disproved by someone who's got something different......

HTH [:D]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Yup, that's why whatever is intended to badge correctly is disproved by someone who's got something different......

HTH [:D]
The badging is all over the place and though there is (apparently) a methodical system, there are loads of exceptions.
How about just a red I then? I read your previous post before I left work and kept an eye out on the way home & I saw an MY53 plate with a red I - body coloured strips & no alloy wheels, and a 52 plate with a red I and black strips - dunno about the wheels. It seems to be whatever suits the owners, which is fair enough I suppose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts