Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with respect to the thread about R32,s eek 22 to the gallon. Ive now got a 150 tdi and have averaged 38 on my first tank, id expected more but should i be getting more ?
what does your "2" reading of mpg say ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Using the reserve tank cheat, sticking to 70mph on the motorway, taking it easy on B roads. When the fuel light came on it had 620 miles.

Bet if you you had a mega motorway journey, taking it easy, you must be able to get close to 700 miles to the tank.

Most of the time with town & B roads roads it avg's 40-45mpg

Has anyone done any tests to see if the premium Diesel give you more miles?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I get 46mpg mixed driving - I expected more when I bought the car and it seems a lot less than the 50+ which most 130 TDI drivers are getting on here. I didn't think 20bhp made much difference; the difference in torque is not that much anyway.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Feel mine is really bad at the moment, but i put down to really short journeys, about 450miles to a tank and averaging around 38-40mpg. Short journeys of 5-6 miles is doing it though, but its all work

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Mine (last car) averaged about 46 over the 42K miles I had it. That was over 2x90 mile trips each week, plus a bit of town driving. Previous surveys have shown that they do vary a great deal, which can't all be down to driving style, but 38 is pretty bad! Either you driving it mega hard all the time, or something is not quite right with the engine.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I've averaged just under 46mpg over the 52k I've had the car (i keep a very detailed spreadsheet and input both the mfd and actual fuel data into it).

Mine dropped quite badly when the MAF went and also big heavy wheels knocked about 10mpg off, no seriously ! I'm now back on stock wheels for that reason.

I drive the car quite hard most of the time for reference.

Also it's a 115, but all the PD's are basically the same when driving normally, it's just when you give max beans, the 130 and especially the 150 have the ability to flow more air and in the 150's case cool it as well. What I'm saying is that for normal driving, there should be little difference between the PD engines.

Your MPG sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
whats this "2" reading?

I do about 45-50mpg
Dolf, under the right stalk is a button which s elects '1' which is the current stip stats, and '2' which is the overall stats (which resets at 100hours driving).. Holding it down also resets either.

The current trip stats also has a delay (an hour or so) so If you pull in for fuel/food etc your still on the same "trip".

Chris

[Edited to add - must remove whats now your car from my sig [:)]]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Around town I get approx 40-44 mpg. On a long motorway run I can get 52mpg at 80mph average. It comes down to 45-47 when giving it beans (90+). When the girlfriend drives she gets it up to 55mpg (average 75mpg). Its a Bora Sport 150 PD TDI. Very pleased with the economy, coming from a 306 GTI6 (33mpg) and Leon Cupra R (30-32mpg). Had the Car 3 months and been getting between 500-600 Miles to a tank. I could easily get it to 650 if I stuck to 70 on the motorway.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Over the full tank (which i reset each time i fill up) i get around 51mpg, but thats driving economically (never really taking it over 2,000revs, even on the motorway) and sometimes on the journey home from work (26miles) i can get 60+, my record is 64.3mpg.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I do mainly urban with a lot of start-stop, short journey and cold start drivings with the occasional weekends away.  I get an average of at least 55mpg each time I reset the computer when I fill up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
whats this "2" reading?

I do about 45-50mpg
Dolf, under the right stalk is a button which s elects '1' which is the current stip stats, and '2' which is the overall stats (which resets at 100hours driving).. Holding it down also resets either.

The current trip stats also has a delay (an hour or so) so If you pull in for fuel/food etc your still on the same "trip".

Chris

[Edited to add - must remove whats now your car from my sig [:)]]
thanks chris,

you can leave the car there till you get another one if you like [;)]

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
With everyone else mpg claims im going to have to look at my driving style, as the car is running fine considering its just had a full service and belt change, even at 18k.

On the trip "2" reset at each fill up its always around 38mpg thou, guess i'll have to take it for a full run or adjust my driving style. it is my first derv so may be why.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My problem is that 90% of my milage is to and from work at 6 miles each trip, problem 2 is im still being silly and burning all the boy racers off, im certain it will improve. I did try to be mega careful this morning and got 49.1 on the way into work.
Next week im off for two weeks so il have longer journys and ill also use shells super diesel, then ill report back.
Lastly its not run in either as its only done 20K [:D]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I guess it varies with driving style so I'll put my instant value at 80 mpg 48-50 MPG. I use BP ultimate or Shell regular + Millers DPP. The car is on 505.01 oil with 41K

Nik Su - I got mine at 17K (a bit like yours now) and it was using a lot of oil and not giving much MPG. I drove it hard for a while and ran in. The oil comsumption is minimal now and its really running sweet. Also use Shell Extra if u can get it. My advice is - don't granny it, give it some right foot (with obvious precautions) and it will improve.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.