Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

was drving along and all of a sudden my engine sounded like **** rubbish, had a look at it and oil level was fine and had a quick look at cam and nothing obvious but there was some small slithers of metal in the head, had a compression test and it was low on cylinder 1 so took the head off and took it to a local company who stripped it and found one of the followers was completly worn through (pic will be added) and has started to mark one of the camshaft lobes slightly.

I have priced a few parts from vw- camshaft £450 and follwers £200, head bolts, intake and downpipe gasket £66, a few bolts and injector seals £150 etc etc

the car has 81k with full service history. vw service history upto 61k where it was on the longlife service schedule then i done the last 2 services one with vw oil and second time with fuchs gt1 oil from opies,

What is the likely cause ? (longlife?)

repair or 2nd hand engine?

thanks craig

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
Hi all,

was drving along and all of a sudden my engine sounded like **** rubbish, had a look at it and oil level was fine and had a quick look at cam and nothing obvious but there was some small slithers of metal in the head, had a compression test and it was low on cylinder 1 so took the head off and took it to a local company who stripped it and found one of the followers was completly worn through (pic will be added) and has started to mark one of the camshaft lobes slightly.

I have priced a few parts from vw- camshaft £450 and follwers £200, head bolts, intake and downpipe gasket £66, a few bolts and injector seals £150 etc etc

the car has 81k with full service history. vw service history upto 61k where it was on the longlife service schedule then i done the last 2 services one with vw oil and second time with fuchs gt1 oil from opies,

What is the likely cause ? (longlife?)

repair or 2nd hand engine?

thanks craig
To sort of answer your question - repair. The parts are available for less than VW prices and you'll end up with a FSH engine with hardened followers etc, rather than a lucky dip second hand one, which don't forget will also need new bolts, gaskets etc to install.

I'm curious as I've never heard of this happening to a 130. What year is your car?

·
1,870 Posts
possible to happen on any PD engine, oil can cause this as well, careful and use the proper oil
OP says full VWSH then the last two himself with Fuch GT1. Are you saying one of these is wrong?

I've always heard that the problems affect all PDs and that it's just that the 150 puts more strain on the engine, but I've never seen any actual cases until now and still no cases of AJMs and ATDs. It always seems to be heresay.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you responses

my car is 1/3/2003,

have always used the correct spec oil but in the past people have said about longlife oil isnt very good?

It has full service history, Upto 61k it was done at vw then 70k and 80k service was done by me, 70k i used genuine vw oil and 80k i used fuchs gt1 oil, i have been told this normally happens if the incorrect oil has been used or if it hasnt been service enough?

Where is the best place to get the parts from? i have already got the gaskets and the pd150 head bolts, im going to get the folowers from vw, do you recomend i replace all the folowers or just the broken one? and where shall i get the camshaft from?

thanks craig

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some people in the past have complained to vw plc and have had a big discount on the parts, would it be worth a try or would i be wasting my time?

thanks craig

·
1,870 Posts
Always worth a try. They might give a goodwill contribution, but if they do it will only be on supply and fit at a franchised main dealer. It might be worth pricing up an independant first.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will try and ring them tomorrow, anyone used camshaft,followers etc from volkswagenspares.com ?

thanks craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts