Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forget new versions of Windows with yet more gimmicks dressed up in senseless marketing crap, I want to see a computer behave as responsively as the level of hardware advance in the last 10 years would suggest... Is anyone else getting seriously hacked off with the sheer amount of time it takes a modern PC to do anything? Or am I just impatient? Toss out all the mumbo jumbo ("New Windows GTI Turbo Nutter Edition: share photos with your friends, burn CDs, enrich your computing experience..." whoopee...) and look at what computers are used for... why do we put up with all this rubbish? Look at the incredible advances in processing power, yet I don't hold much hope of owning a proper fast computer in my lifetime, one that works in real time no matter what I chuck at it - and I'm being reasonably realistic here, even the latest hardware on the market does not keep up when you're juggling a few things around. I want a computer so fast it snaps my neck when I use it, is that asking a lot? I want all the users I deal with to have the same, it's absolutely soul destroying trying to fix customer's problems and the computer can't keep up, I always end up taking much longer to do a job than I tell my management, because of slow machines.

Where's the valium [:|]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'm with you on that. I hate waiting for pc's to do stuff. My laptop is
particularly bad at that. My main pc is only slow at loading games
really but it can be very frustrating.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i always find dual processor machines to be the best. proably a dual core dual processor machine would be nice.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I often sit at customers' machines thinking, "How on Earth do you tolerate this?!"

The first thing I do on any new PC build is switch off fading menus - this drives me up the wall, and then I change the registry MenuShowDelay value from 400 to 0, otherwise you get a 400 millisecond delay every time you open a menu which I also find irritating (this is something that has existed ever since Win95). If you open 500 menus, that saves you 3 minutes 20 seconds! [;)]

I turn off the XP themed desktop as well and set it all to plain old Classic.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I often sit at customers' machines thinking, "How on Earth do you tolerate this?!"

The first thing I do on any new PC build is switch off fading
menus - this drives me up the wall, and then I change the
registry MenuShowDelay value from 400 to 0, otherwise you get a 400
millisecond delay every time you open a menu which I also find
irritating (this is something that has existed ever since Win95). If
you open 500 menus, that saves you 3 minutes 20 seconds! [;)]

I turn off the XP themed desktop as well and set it all to plain old Classic.
Yeah me too, I do exactly the same, especially when doing remote
support, I've got into the habit of watching certain patches of carpet
fade whilst waiting for various tasks to complete [:|]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ok, I set you the challenge sir.

You want realtime? Not quite possible at the moment. But, do this:

Go back to windows 3.1 on a new dual core machine with 2 gig ram. Stick Word 4.2 on it, attach a printer and away you go. Using the internet could prove tricky, but it will be damn fast!

The only reason comps seem slow I blame on virus/spyware that infests itself and you never get rid of it. Look how fast your computer is when you do a fresh format and install then compare that to a month later.

Also, computers are getting faster yes, but everything is getting more and more involved and were asking a lot more from ouur machines.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well i've decided i've had enough with Windows and all the BS thats going to come with the next version, Vista. Its turning into an enormous joke with the release date forever changing and the original amazing features list gradually shrinking.

Apple Mac ownership becons for me. OSX just pees all over Windows - and if all you do, like me, is internet, email, a few games, music / videos, and a bit of Photoshop work, there aint no reason to hang around with Microsoft anymore.. couple that with Bootcamp which will allow you to dual boot back into Windows should you need to, you're more than catered for.

I plan to be 'done' with Windows by the time Vista comes out end of year / early 2007!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Well i've decided i've had enough with Windows and all the BS thats going to come with the next version, Vista. Its turning into an enormous joke with the release date forever changing and the original amazing features list gradually shrinking.

Apple Mac ownership becons for me. OSX just pees all over Windows - and if all you do, like me, is internet, email, a few games, music / videos, and a bit of Photoshop work, there aint no reason to hang around with Microsoft anymore.. couple that with Bootcamp which will allow you to dual boot back into Windows should you need to, you're more than catered for.

I plan to be 'done' with Windows by the time Vista comes out end of year / early 2007!!
Enjoy your 1 mouse button!

It's enough to make me urge!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Apple Mac - Ah yes, Its quick because the software was programmed to the virtually non upgradable hardware, its verging on a console as opposed to a computer.

I work with Databases 1/2 Million Records in size if not bigger.

We use the current AMD 64bit machines which are great at processing one task, If I havefor example

Foxpro open with a large database open and then try to open runing a task and then try and open windows explorer the Pc will hang for ages, If I let it perform the task it will run at warp speed.THAT is plain annoying, I can lose a database for 30 mins while its disagreeing with itself. Out of the 20 Plus PC's I have at my disposal only one Runs Windows XP (The others are Windows 2000 as its a bettre O/S) The XP one is terrible for this.

I Think/Hope we are going Intel Dual Core processors next which should save waiting for databases to load up.

You guys should try crunching some serious data.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're getting dual core chips in this week, 3.0 GHz and 3.4 GHz. One of our clients has a music royalties accounting package that used to take over 10 hours to perform a certain operation, at the moment we have a new dedicated SQL server and test workstation, both P4 3.0 GHz with 2 GB RAM each, the results were good, but we're swapping the workstation's chip for a Pentium D tomorrow so hopefully she'll be able to use the workstation to do the odd office task as well while the database crunches away in the background.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you want warp speed computing it would seem that a DRAM based hard disk is the way to go

Posted Image

A clean install of Windows XP takes 2 minutes, from pressing the power button to the WinXP splash screen is 2 seconds [:O]

The maximimum size currently available is 16gig and at ?595 it isn't cheap.. but given time the prices will come down even further and this could be a reality. My only reservation would be the safety of having important data on volatile memory but what I would probably do is set up an automatic Ghost backup every night onto a conventional hard disk.. so if the s**t did hit the fan I could be up and running in a matter of minutes.

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want warp speed computing it would seem that a DRAM based hard disk is the way to go
They should build one of those with SRAM [:|]

Hell let's chuck all sensibilities out of the window and build the entire memory system with SRAMs.

I've given up reading tuning articles on Toms Hardware, my eyes glaze over, there's only so much you can do with tuning into the safety margins of hardware (overclocking) like increasing boost pressure on a turbo car, I want to see the kind of difference in performance like remapping a turbo car versus installing a jet engine in the mofo [Y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The major problem is Disk read writes and to a smilari vain Swapping ... no matter how much memory you have....

To get round this you could build your own custom install of xp and run it off flash memory, then create a virtual disk in ram to cope with any needed swap space.... then just use a hard disk for the document settings and profilkes.....

Flash memory will fail after 10000 read/writes so all read writing either needs to be done in ram or on physical media such as hard disks you will also need massive amounts of memory for a fully fledged pc in this vain... 2 gig flash...4-6-8 gig ram and a small sata/scsi drive... but it will be very very very very very fast.......

start here http://www.litepc.com/

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I'm not an IT person but have built my machines, mainly for gaming for quite a while now.

What really bothers me is the automatic updates for XP.

Do we really need them all ?

They all seem to be labelled as essential security updates or whatever. I was astonished as well when SP2 came out, it's massive.

Some very clever bods on here must be able to come up with a list of essential processess that need to run? I've had a play in task manager ending varuious processess but really don't know what I'm doing and sometimes have caused the system to crash as I've ended something important.

In my mind all you need is the basic o/s, hardware drivers and antivirus. I'd love to know what other resource sapping lard could be ditched ?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Apple Mac - Ah yes, Its quick because the
software was programmed to the virtually non upgradable hardware, its
verging on a console as opposed to a computer.

I work with Databases 1/2 Million Records in size if not bigger.

We use the current AMD 64bit machines which are great at processing one task, If I havefor example

Foxpro open with a large database open and then try to open runing a
task and then try and open windows explorer the Pc will hang for ages,
If I let it perform the task it will run at warp speed.THAT is plain
annoying, I can lose a database for 30 mins while its disagreeing with
itself. Out of the 20 Plus PC's I have at my disposal only one Runs
Windows XP (The others are Windows 2000 as its a bettre O/S) The XP one
is terrible for this.

I Think/Hope we are going Intel Dual Core processors next which should save waiting for databases to load up.

You guys should try crunching some serious data.
What's not upgradable about a Mac?

Graham, just hold down control and click. That's a right click for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts