Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

basically in need a bit of help in terms of laptop/pc. im not really clued up on whats what but have a little bit of an idea (i think)

i use my current laptop (my nans which i borrowed 5 months ago for two weeks as you do) acer aspire 5536

now it does its job fine. i use the laptop at home in a fixed location around 4-5 hours a day.

i use email, forum, google, etc

i also use skype a lot as my mum and dad moved out there last may and i work along side my dad via skype. i must use it for around 90minutes a day.

i generally use microsoft word and excell for keeping track of business.

and i use to play football manager on previous laptop but not played in ages due to having my nans laptop and not wanting to use it on here.

i have a wireless reciever for my previous pc.

i was thinking along the lines of.

1.6ghz processor

2gb ram

80gb hardrive

would that be sufficient or would you recommend something better and also what do i need to look at that i have missed?

i repeat im a novice with the world wide web and computers. (age does not come into itas im 20 with doube A* in ict from school) but ict at school only means you learn how to use microsoft office.

danny

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
well by saying 1.6ghz processor can vary from one to another..what processor is it? amd or intel?? intel core 2 duo? core quad? i3,i4 or i7? ram seems ok and 80gb of hard disk is pretty low..but if you aint using it for games or saving any big files then should be fine but i´d recommend something a lot bigger lets say 250gb++ if you can give me more info on you processor then i will be able to help a lot more..if you dont know how to find this info then go to start-right click on my computer-properties a window will pop up with lots of info..it will be helpful if you can type that info here..or print screen..just the operating system info and computer..not your key or something..if you cannot do that..then there should be a sticker on the laptop saying something about your processor and also which operating system are you on??

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
933 Posts
I've always been quite impressed with what ecomputers sell on eBay. Something like this Dell wold be entry level these days, it looks like it has a built in webcam and 1 years Dell warranty. Might be a little on the slow side and it has a 0.3 megapixel webcam, but it'll get the job done - just. If you 've got a bit more to spend something like this maybe ? Core i3 rather than the older,slower celeron and a higher res webcam and better microphones (?)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got a quality webcam so thats fine.

the hard drive would be plenty for my needs but if it has more then its a bonus.

in terms of processor i dont have a clue what i need, i thought bigger the number the better. (obviously not) so which ones are best? im going out shopping for one on saturday. its only for work to be honest and its being payed for from the business money allthough i dont want to spend a great deal as its another expense we dont need after only started business 6 weeks ago.

danny

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd personally try to stay away from acer.

I had an Acer aspire, after reading a few online reviews it looked really good, and had decent specs for the money (360 iirc).

After less than a year it wasn't right. It's not that things went wrong, it was just a lot slower, and it would do stupid things like refuse to play audio after it's been on for a few hours. It was still slow and doing "stupid things" after wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows.

I read some more reviews before selling it, and still almost all of them were positive, but maybe one or two people shared my experience. Cant really trust reviews from magazines that have had the laptop for a week or two.

I don't really have any suggestions i'm afraid.. not too hot on laptops, but that's my experience on the matter [:)]

Edit: Intel>AMD!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
i have just bought this

Toshiba Satellite C660-155 15.6" Notebook (Intel Core i3-380M Processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium)

i have had a lot of different laptops and this one blows them all away,not had a macbook yet muchos moneys.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you don't need/want the portability of a laptop then a desktop would be better. You'll almost always get a more capable machine for the same money.
Also you can get a biiig screen [:D]

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
each both have there pro's and con's.

pc means football manager on the tv

what do i need to have to be able to plug pc into the tv?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not specifically, you can get DVI > HDMI converters which allow you to plug it straight in to the TV.

I would avoid the ebay built systems as I would imagine the support isn't fantastic, stick to the big names.

What is your budget?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Bought my mum a toshiba labtop from comet last christmas, has hdmi out (standard hdmi socket too) webcam it was £299 .. cant go far wrong with that.. :)

as stated previously, stay away from acer

Toshiba or HP on a budget

Sony or Apple if you have more money [:)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts