Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An oldish (3 yearsish) PC, that I'm trying to breath a little more life into, has the annoying habit of staying on, when I've turned it off on screen, leaving a message "It is now safe to turn your computer off." Is there a way I can set it to turn right off, as my other PC's do? It runs on XP Home.

·
Registered
360 Posts
An oldish (3 yearsish) PC, that I'm trying to breath a little more life into, has the annoying habit of staying on, when I've turned it off on screen, leaving a message "It is now safe to turn your computer off." Is there a way I can set it to turn right off, as my other PC's do? It runs on XP Home.
Theres a list somewhere on the microsoft site of possible causes, last time I came across it the problem

was graphics card drivers (seems odd I know!)

Chris

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Get the mobo manual, usually most sites hold pdfs.

look at the bios power on and power off settings. The above post was correct that older mobo's wont support this but yours doesn't sound old enough. try resetting the bios settings.

·
Registered
628 Posts
similar prob on mine, the screen just stays on the "windows is shutting down" screen only if i choose to turn off with out closing/signing out of messenger.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
no you wont be able to, its all to do with the type of motherboard and PSU you are using, before ATX cases/PSU's and motherboards, PC's use to be like this.

The only thing you can do is buy a new case, PSU, motherboard, depends on what your running whether or not your other components can be used in the upgrade, and indeed if its worth keeping them....

Good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
no you wont be able to, its all to do with the type of motherboard and PSU you are using, before ATX cases/PSU's and motherboards, PC's use to be like this.

The only thing you can do is buy a new case, PSU, motherboard, depends on what your running whether or not your other components can be used in the upgrade, and indeed if its worth keeping them....

Good luck
3 years old has to be an ATX case surely! I'd be shocked if it wasnt..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds to me like there is either a dodgy driver somewhere or there is
still a background process running when you decide to shutdown the
system

Help and Support on Microsoft Site Click Here

hope that helps

Rich

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Good luck
3 years old has to be an ATX case surely! I'd be shocked if it wasnt..
dont be so sure.... depends where it was bought, and what spec it is....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
although i wouldnt rule out, secuirty update problems... some spyware or a virus causing this problem....

does it do it all the time?

Have you done all the MS Windows updates?

·
Registered
895 Posts
The motherboard has to has ACPI support for this to work.  Problem is board that are older than 2/3 yrs old may not have this feature. Check in the BIOS.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
similar prob on mine, the screen just stays on the
"windows is shutting down" screen only if i choose to turn off with out
closing/signing out of messenger.
If that's Windows 98 and your PC is quite old, it sounds like you've
got an issue with the "Fast Shutdown" method that 98 started to use -
which resulted in it never comopleting shutting down.

There is a way of toggling a flag within windows somewhere, but it was so long ago, I can't remember how!

C

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
although i wouldnt rule out, secuirty update problems... some spyware or a virus causing this problem....

does it do it all the time?

Have you done all the MS Windows updates?
When I first got the PC it was on Me and did it. I've since done a clean build to XP Home and it still does it. All Windows updates and I'm running AVG Free, Spybot and Adaware.

Feel sure it must be a Bios setting. How do I recognise an ATX case? It has a start button that does not latch, which suggested to me that it should turn right off. Where do I find the bios setting? [:$]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hang on a min, are you saying when you had ME on it it DID shut down and turn itself off or it didnt?

As for the ATX case, if it's an ATX case you will have a 'plate' above the card slots that holds stuff like the printer port, USB ports, network ports, Serial ports etc.

ATX case
Posted Image

The older cases (AT) just used to have the Power Unit and a load of card bays.

You probably do have an ATX case.

To figure out if you have ACPI avaliable, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and expand the 'computer' entry.

If it says 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - You have the capability to do it. If it says 'Standard Computer' or somehting along those lines you don't.

Take it from there and let me know what it says.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hang on a min, are you saying when you had ME on it it DID shut down and turn itself off or it didnt?

To figure out if you have ACPI avaliable, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and expand the 'computer' entry.

If it says 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - You have the capability to do it. If it says 'Standard Computer' or somehting along those lines you don't.

Take it from there and let me know what it says.
It didn't shut down with ME.

I've seen "Standard Computer" so I guess I'll have to put up with it as it is. Thanks to all for trying!

·
Registered
628 Posts
similar prob on mine, the screen just stays on the "windows is shutting down" screen only if i choose to turn off with out closing/signing out of messenger.
If that's Windows 98 and your PC is quite old, it sounds like you've got an issue with the "Fast Shutdown" method that 98 started to use - which resulted in it never comopleting shutting down.

There is a way of toggling a flag within windows somewhere, but it was so long ago, I can't remember how!

C
cheers ckb but it's a 1 year old p4 3.4 c/w xp home. it's not really an issue,i just don,t like using the power button to turn off if i forget to exit messenger

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Wasn't reading the whole thread, just saw the bit he mentioned above
and couldn't see answer at the time "thicko" [:p] [;)] [:D] ... If you
can fix it go ahead! [:)]

C

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.