1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold an amplifier on ebay today and the buyer paid me using
paypal. Payment went through and I transfered the funds to my
bank account.

However, when I got home tonight I had a few emails from paypal, this is part of one;

Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorised access to his PayPal account. As a result, one of the payments credited to your PayPal account has been placed in a temporary hold while we investigate the claim. PayPal constantly monitors transactions for unauthorised use of accounts in order to maintain the safety of our users.

The payment to my bank account has been reversed and now with paypal.

So is it me or the payment from the buyer that`s being investigated ??

I`m very worried now, but ave done nothing wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
I would have thought that it was his (they buyers) account, rather than yours.

'PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorised access to his PayPal account' - i think this would mean the buyer.

Is there not a helpline you can call to ask?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there is, that`s my first job this morning.

Item has already been sent out so I need to try and stop that from arriving if I can.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is the buyers account that is being investigated, but this means Paypal will have to give back the money that was yours. If you haven't sent the Amp then don't. Wait till you get you money from Paypal.

I have heard about alot of people on this fourm that have lost money to paypal and not scamers.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Im having real problems with paypal now after hearing so many stories. I wanted to sell my laptop on ebay but dont feel I can trust paypal

·
Registered
495 Posts
My rule of thumb.. PayPal for anything < ?50. Anything more than that and I ask for a cheque, bank transfer or if they're in a hurry a counter deposit at my bank.

The problem with PayPal is that you never know if your PayPal buyer has enough credibility such that the Seller protection policy is eligible.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My rule of thumb.. PayPal for anything < ?50
I go by that rule too!

Sorry to say it but it looks like you've lost the money, paypal wont really be interested even though your not in the wrong, i personally would pay a visit to where you sent it to and collect the item by fair means or foul :)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hmm, shame you have sent the amp out. If it was sent by courier, I would try to stop it and get it back, even if it means you paying out.

1. The buyer has used a paypal account to pay you thats not theirs.

2. The buyer has used a stolen credit card or similar.

In either case, YOU will lose the money that was sent to you. Once money has been reversed, theres about a 1% chance of you getting it back. Paypal's policy is to make the seller pay for mistakes, so paypal doesnt lose anything.

I highly doubt you will see that money again. Therefore, would do everything you can to get your amp back.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support everyone.

Tried to stop the delivery but it was too late. I`ve always sent
out items once the payment has been received into my paypal account and
have had no trouble before.

I lost ?6500 on a scooby I bought 3 months ago, lost ?150 a few weeks
back on a pair of mirrors I bought and now stand to lose almost ?200 on
this amp. This time I`m going to track down the twat involved and
walk away with the item or what is owed to me, one way or
another. I`m fed up with these people and am not letting them get
away with it.

I will no longer accept paypal payments, and might delete my account altogether if they don`t sort this mess out.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Paypal's policy is to make the seller pay for mistakes, so paypal doesnt lose anything.
Does the credit happen immediately ?

As I'm having the oposite with PayPal where I have purchased an item from eBay, but the seller has been removed, and hasn't sent the goods or refunded my PayPal transaction.

I raised a claim with PayPal, and they reckon it will take 31 days to resolve !!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Paypal can really suck, when you see the money in your account you rightly so assume the item has sold and then you post the goods. Paypal know this is how most transactions work. If the money for whatever reason is sent froma faud account tough luck on e-bay. you have sold your item fair and square and the miney is now yours. perhaps if ebay checked the accounts properly things like this wont happen too often. I have never had a poblem, however i tend to look at their trading rating and not just the %

Good luck and hopeit gets sorted as you seem to be going through a rough patch with them- have you thought of getting watchdog or something simillar involed? they may take you even more seriously....

steve

·
Registered
186 Posts
?6 1/2 K through Paypal, i would be going off my head. The buyer protection from Paypal i have tried twice and both times they take a ?15 payment and I end up with ?4 and nothing else.

I kept emailing paypal to get my money and i never get anything back. I have deleted mt bank account details from there now incase a get a chargeback 6 months after a payment.

I am going to Nochex from now on.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked with Interlink and the goods were delivered to the guys address but signed for by `goods refused'

The guy has very good feedback on ebay so didn`t think this would happen. Interlink are investigating as well.

Oh, the ?6500 was cash and not through paypal, but the sale was through ebay.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Paypal really is getting to be a farce now i'll agree. It is get up in such a way that in the event of a scammer, paypal will not lose out, so the lowest common denominator to be shat upon is you, the genuine seller, or even buyer. Protection for scammers. Great, no wonder so many scallys are abusing it.

I've had a few problems now, hence carefully check all buyers payments, verifications, feedback etc before send items.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but Paypal is as such a seperate bank account, therefore I presume that by reversing the payment from paypal to your bank back they have acted illegally if it was done without your permission. Surely they should have put the amount into a minus figure on your paypal as a debt that you owed them...

EBay want to set up what they deem the ultimate in money transfer accounts, in terms of safety and security, but they dont want to take any responsibility for fraud, and can freeze any assets you have without any notice at the say so of someone who doesnt even know you...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Paypal's policy is to make the seller pay for mistakes, so paypal doesnt lose anything.
Does the credit happen immediately ?

As I'm having the oposite with PayPal where I have purchased an item from eBay, but the seller has been removed, and hasn't sent the goods or refunded my PayPal transaction.

I raised a claim with PayPal, and they reckon it will take 31 days to resolve !!
Your problem is reversed. The seller has run off, probably deleted all his details and your waiting for money back. You won't get it back unless the seller makes a deposit into his paypal account to give you your money back.

All this protection is a load of rubbish. Again, in your situation, paypal are not going to lose out themsleves and if the seller runs off, you just won't get your money back. The credit will ONLY happen immediately, or after the case if the seller has funds in his account. Paypal will not, in any given situation lose out themselves.

I've just sold 2 items, one thankfully someone said they would send a cheque for and the second, I said no paypal, but if you are a trusted buyer, please e-mail me and I will say either yes or no. Took the tick out of the paypal box so no one could just pay via them anyway. Had a buyer who asked if he could pay by paypal, I said yes, but he's e-mailed me this morning saying he would rather paypal don't take a cut from our transaction as just yesterday he got stung. So he's sent me a BACS payment.

The price wasn't quite as much as I would have got I don't think if I offered paypal. Probably about ?10 under. However, I'm much happier with the BACS payment. Once its in my account, it aint going no where. The buyer does have to have some trust in you though, which is where the transaction falls down.

Wait for google payments people. Paypal will be crying.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the m-pay thing

Apparently you can pay for things online by using your mobile number and its billed to your next phone bill!

Sounds a bit iffy to me??

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but Paypal is as such a seperate bank account, therefore I presume that by reversing the payment from paypal to your bank back they have acted illegally if it was done without your permission. Surely they should have put the amount into a minus figure on your paypal as a debt that you owed them...
They can't take payment from you without you authorising it. However, if you run a negative balance, they can come after you for it, and can pass the negative balance on to a debt collector. This is the part where it get's fun though.

If you owe money to a buyer, and you as a seller have a negative balance, the buyer will not recieve their money. Not until you deposit the amount into your account to give to the buyer.

After 6 months, the buyer loses his/her right to the money from the seller. So that transaction is then void. So isn't it strange that your balance stays negative and its ONLY after this 6 months that paypal decide to chase the debt.

So once they get the debt back, do they pass it on to the buyer? No...case closed. They pocket it. Now isnt it strange that the cut off date for the buyers case is 6 months and the starting date for their debt collecting is also, 6 months!

Frozen accounts are a complete nightmare. Paypal are pocketing millions each year from freezing accounts. Once they freeze it, any funds in your account are paypals. You never get them back. If say my account was frozen, so would my mums and sisters be. They may have nothing to do with it, but as part of the same household, paypal freeze them all taking all the money in them.

NEVER leave any money in your paypal account. if it's over 50 quid, withdraw it. I innocently ran a balance of ?800 once, thinking it was a nice savings account from my ebay earnings. Thankfully I saw sense after I got a chargeback and my balance was reduced to ?600 in an instant and case closed immediately, money given back to credit card company.

So to the original poster, its not only you, I've lost hundreds through paypal, mostly through chargebacks from credit cards, but a couple of times from lying buyers.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I transfered the payment to my bank account, only leaving a few pence in the paypal account, but then paypal made my balance negative and decided to reverse the transfer to cover their backs.

Quote from an email;

"Recently, your account balance became negative. To cover your negative balance, we have reversed "Pending" electronic funds transactions that you had initiated from your PayPal account."

So they have reversed a transfer that I made without asking me first. The money I received is mine, how the buyer sent it is of no interest to me, their account should have been charged, not mine.

Afer reading all the above replies, I will be closing my paypal account as soon as this transaction is sorted. Very tempted to take matters further regarding paypal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts