Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were hearing lots about how pay rises pushing up inflation, what in percentage terms have people been getting ?

Got my annual increase today,works out at 2.275%. [*-)]

This has kind of peed me off, as I feel I do a dam lot more than required & put in at least an extra 20hrs a month unpaid, 1st in in the morning & mostly last out.

Plus the ever rising interest rates, council tax & fuel bills, i'm getting worse & worse off each month

I'm going to take it up with the MD, but wanted to hear others opinions first. [Y]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
For a standard performer, we pay about 3%.  This can rise to about 6% for someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
weird isnto it, payrises increase infaltion, infation at 4.4%, (highest in 8 years) and yet no one I know has gor more than 3.35%..............!!! So how does that increase inflation!

REAL infaltion is far higher IMO, the things that 90% actually spend their cash on all the time, ie energy costs, bills, and living expenses have gone up more than 4.4% this year. house prices, ie mortgaegs similarly, (biggest expense for most) gone up 10% this yeat. inteterest rates increasing, affects every regular joe!

So where does the 4.4% come from. My living expenses have deffo gone up more than 4.4% in the last 12 months!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I will get 1.5% this year, but I took the option of more holidays (get 7 weeks now) when I had some salary choices to make. Think most are getting 2.25% where I

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I will get 1.5% this year, but I took the option of more holidays (get 7 weeks now) when I had some salary choices to make. Think most are getting 2.25% where I am

·
Registered
333 Posts
3% for the last 3 years (and a set of company name emboided towels at christmas as a bonus.)

Only way i feel to get a decent pay rise is either start working somewhere else / threaten to leave or have a boss who's a good friend.

When i swapped jobs back in 2001 i literally doubled my wage (was on less than 15k)..... never had a rise as good since though[:D]

Yearly Inflation isnt anywhere near the 3% they say on the TV and radio.

The true rate of inflation (including rising gas/electric/petrol/council tax/mortgages etc etc) at the moment is probably closer to 10%-15%...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Isn't it weird that the government use the figures that don't include most taxes including council tax when they publish their figures. I think they are using the CPI rate or something? Then theres another rate which includes everything like stamp duty, council tax, energy price rises. It's closer to 10% if you include the basics we all need. Yet the governments figures somehow exclude them. Dunno why.

My theory is they like high inflation as as energy prices sore so do their 5% VAT on energy....as a jar of coffee goes up, so does their 17.5% cut etc etc. However,. thats just my theory!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got a 3.5% increase today. I am well chuffed becuase I wasnt expecting to get one as I have only been here since Sept 2006.

I'm not expecting a bonus in the next couple of months either, but seeing as I got my pay rise through today, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it now.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I'll find out mine in April - it gets backdated to January - but I expect it to be inflationary. My bonus was much better than last year so I can't really complain at an inflation-linked increase.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
.....as as energy prices sore
yes they do hurt don't they....[;)]

I thought inflation/interest rates was measured by the Bank of England - not the Government? That's how they have an independant view of the economy and manage the inetrest rates accordingly. .....So according to my theory if the real world inflation is 10% how come the BoE hasn't raised interest rates to match?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Working for a yankee company, we have a typically american way of performance management [:|]

We have a set of goals, and have a weighting for each, one of my biggest when I set my goals in the next month or so, will be "products" or "portfolio support" supporting the marketed drugs and the weighting for that is 80%. The other 20% is personal development.

At the end of the year, we get a score against each sector which then gets converted to a low figure and I think that figure becomes the percentage salary increase come april ! Bloody confusin'!. I guess maybe 3-6% is average ?

Oh I forgot earlier, too - I don't get pay, I get "compensation" ! [^o)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Isn't it weird that the government use the figures that don't include most taxes including council tax when they publish their figures. I think they are using the CPI rate or something? Then theres another rate which includes everything like stamp duty, council tax, energy price rises. It's closer to 10% if you include the basics we all need. Yet the governments figures somehow exclude them. Dunno why.

My theory is they like high inflation as as energy prices sore so do their 5% VAT on energy....as a jar of coffee goes up, so does their 17.5% cut etc etc. However,. thats just my theory!
The government inflation figures use the CPI (Consumer Prices Index) which doesn't include household bills or council tax - the real inflation figure that I think is fair is the RPI (retail prices index) - they do this so inflation looks lower in the media. Cos oddly enough the prices of things that have gone up a lot aren't included, it's just government subterfuge, to make the public think prices aren't rising as much as they have, imo ! [:mad:]

If the inflation rate goes above the governments target (iirc, 3%) the bank of england haed has to write an open letter to the chancellor explaining why.

Ahh, I was mostly correct:

Wikipedia:

"United Kingdom.

The traditional measure of inflation in the UK for many years was the Retail Price Index, which was first calculated in the early 20th Century to evaluate the extent to which workers were affected by price changes during the first world war. An explicit inflation target was first set in October 1992 by then-Chancellor of the Exchequer Norman Lamont following the departure of the UK from the Exchange Rate Mechanism. Initially, the target was based on the RPIX, which is the RPI calculated excluding mortgage interest payments. This was felt to be a better measure of the effectiveness of macroeconomic policy. It was argued that if interest rates are used to curb inflation, then including mortgage payments in the inflation measure would be misleading. Until 1997, interest rates were set by the Treasury.

On winning power in May 1997, the New Labour government handed control over interest rates to the Bank of England, whose Monetary Policy Committee now sets rates on the basis of an inflation target set by the Chancellor.[2] If in any month inflation is more than one percentage point off its target, the Governor of the Bank of England is required to write to the Chancellor explaining why.

Since 1996 the United Kingdom has also tracked a Consumer Price Index figure, and in December 2003 its inflation target was changed to one based on the CPI. [3] The CPI target is currently 2%. Both the CPI and the RPI are published monthly by the Office for National Statistics."

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had a chat & my pay increase relects the companies performance, & we havent made that much this past year.

What a load of BS !!

I run the product & purchase dept, so if we werent doing well, our purchasing would be down & stock levels high, strange how they arent ....

I've decided now that I will work the hours 8.30am > 5.15pm & take 45minutes lunch as per my contract. During MY lunch time I wont answer the phone or discuss work related issues either........

Also when I'm feeling a little under the weather I shall phone in sick, like the rest do, & not soldier on like the trooper I have been

You get what you pay for in life....

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Had a chat & my pay increase relects the companies performance, & we havent made that much this past year.

What a load of BS !!

I run the product & purchase dept, so if we werent doing well, our purchasing would be down & stock levels high, strange how they arent ....

I've decided now that I will work the hours 8.30am > 5.15pm & take 45minutes lunch as per my contract. During MY lunch time I wont answer the phone or discuss work related issues either........

Also when I'm feeling a little under the weather I shall phone in sick, like the rest do, & not soldier on like the trooper I have been

You get what you pay for in life....
its quite sad but I totally agree with that. You work your socks off and get (eg)2%. Some other bugger does 3 parts of FA, takes 30 days sick, arrives at 9.15, goes at 4.45 and gets the same 2%

Makes you wonder why you bother...

I will always remember my MD telling me 3 years ago "you'll never get rich working for someone else" and how true that is..

Having said that, I do OK here...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Receiving a pay adjustment in line with inflation is not, strictly speaking, a pay rise. If you do not receive an increase in line with inflation each year, you are actually taking a pay cut each year. (as things cost "more" each year, and you're not paid any more)

I would aim for at least inflation (then at least you've not lost anything), but for a pay rise I'd work on 2x inflation.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck [8-|]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I was lucky and got over double figures % wise and hope to get at least half the amount this year as a % gain but fuel prices, council tax, TV licence etc all moved by about the same amount.

To be honest, a 3% rise is realisitcally an income reduction.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts