Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At around 1.30am today I was plunged into an unimaginable HELL which is the realisation that my passport affairs are not in order.

I booked a family holiday for the half-term week (departing this Friday), around 3 1/2 weeks ago.

At the time I was quizzed about my kid's ages.......... 11/14/16

I disclosed that they were all listed on my Wife's passport - not having their own...............to which I was advised was OK.

For some reason the discussion came up late last night with a friend who said my 16 y/o had to have his own passport.............WHAT !!!!!!!

A quick call to the 24 hour passport help line confirmed this was the case.

They went on to say he had to apply for an adult passport and therefore it's not a renewal - and that they could book me an appointment at the passport office on Monday, HOWEVER

.........................their quickest "New passport" service is 7 days.

That means it wont turn up until Tuesday the following week...................which in turn means he won't be able to come on holiday!!!

FAAAAAAAAAARKKKKKKKKK !!!!

I am so bloody upset - didn't sleep much last night just trying to resolve it in my head........and now i'm going to shoot myself I think.

I made a second call to the said helpline, and the same woman answered - she said going on holiday does not constitute an emergency therefore they can't offer a faster service (due to security checks that have to be made for "new" applications)

After I said it would be a case of life and death (as I would be murded by my family if we couldn't get a passport in time) she kind of lightened up even though it was 2.15am...........she went on to say that when we go to Peterborough passport office they ***MAY*** take it upon themselves to get something sorted sooner than 7 days, but she doubted it.

I'm sure i'm not the first person to have been caught out by this kind of problem........

So - has anyone got any recent experience of similar problem???

Is there a glimmer of hope for my life and sanity to remain intact this week??

Would greatly appreciate you sharing any experiences you've had on this subject.............MTIA guys *(and girls)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Sorry to hear of your predicament Jon, I thought everyone needed a passport now adays ? I know my 12 month old neice has one.

As a solution, would it not be worth telling a small white lie ? ie need to visit a familiy member overseas that currently doesn't have long left ?

Don't forget that they have raised the cost of a passport to £66.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Closest I've come to this is realizing 5 hours before check-in for a flight to Germany that my passport had expired by 10 days. Problem was I had about 2 hours to get to the Passport Office in Petty France before it closed, and had to stop en route to get to a main post office, get the right form, and purchase a black pen to fill it in (because the only pen I had was blue) while on the train. That's adrenalin rush.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Feel for you mate, I lost must passport while in New Zealand last week and it was a brown trouser moment to say the least! I was looking at a 4-5 day turnaround plus a $300 charge for sorting me a new one. Mind you, after ringing Singapore airlines to ask about extening my flight they said it wasn't a problem changing my flights and I could stay for a few weeks if I wanted.

I'd still be there now if that was the case.

(I can but wish)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear of your predicament Jon, I thought everyone needed a passport now adays ? I know my 12 month old neice has one.

As a solution, would it not be worth telling a small white lie ? ie need to visit a familiy member overseas that currently doesn't have long left ?

Don't forget that they have raised the cost of a passport to £66.
Thanks for that.........

If your passport is valid (ours expire 2008) then the children (provided are under 16) are OK.

The rule about seperate passports came out around Autumn 1998..........just after we got our passports.

I like the idea of the possible illness in the family, however, i'll perhaps keep that one up my sleeve for now.

Oh, and i'm looking at £91 for an accelerated passport 7 day turnaround..........i'd pay twice that as I believe I may be salughtered and put out for the birds to peck at, if this doesn't go well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What happened to going to Peterborough and getting a Passport that same day? I'm sure that's how it used to work before. I was assuming that the 7 days would be by post.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was curtly advised over the phone at 2am this morning by some Irish lady, that next day service is for renewals only.

My son has never had his own passport although been named on wife's........hence this will be (they consider) a first time application.

I am sure that we had to supply all the birth certificates to them when we got the passports in 1998.....so it's a little frustrating to say the least.

He has a National Insurance number (and card), a driving license and a bank account of his own, so i'm praying these will help in our favour.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
been though this before several times... i was on my dads and turned
up at the airport at 16 and 2 months .. they let me fly but made my dad
sign a form saying he would be liable for the £5000 fine if we were
caught at passport control on the other side.

i
would get to the passport office in the morning with your sone, and see
what they can do .. i am sure they will do a 1 day turnaround... i did
have a mate in the liverpool office who would have done it as you would
be amazed at what disgression they have in the passport office, but he
left a few months back

the stupid thing is
with modern rules is my 8 year old is on my passport ... but cannot fly
witth me without his mother being there or a letter from her... but my
three year old has a passport and the picture is from when he was three
months old.. and i can take the three year old on a plane without his
mums permission or presence...

flipping labours fault for
meddling with decades old establised regulations111

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bad news just got 10x worse.

Peterborough is 50 miles from me at home.

I had to be at work this morning (40 miles away) - so sent my son to post office to collect form and take with photos to the doctor's surgery 8 miles away to have countersigned - which they did (wife works there so no bother)

I got back home from work - filled in son's details (name/address) and then decided to do the rest at the counter at P/boro to make sure it was all correct.

The guy said he couldn't accept the form as it hadn't been completed BEFORE the counter-signatory, and he wouldn't let me have the form back either !!!!

I had to re-book for 8am tomorrow morning.......to take a NEWLY COMPLETED AND COUNTERSIGNED FORM !!!!

They also said they can't guarantee less than a 7-day turn-around !!! no way!

So i dashed back to doctors and got new form fully filled in and countersigned by another doctor (original had gone home).

To say I am livid is the understatement to cap all understatements.........WHAT A LOAD OF BEUROCRATIC BOSWELLOX !!!!!

I am just hoping they can still turn it around quickly.

HAS ANYONE USED THE FAST-TRACK SERVICE RECENTLY ???
IF SO - HOW SOON DID THE PASSPORT TURN UP ???

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I feel for ya Jon,

It it helps, I know my nieces application took 3 attempts, on failure was because the countersigner had used a blue not black pen.

Have you thought of trying the black market for a phoney passport [:O]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Jon... Just got your email.. sorry its been a bit late. Spoke to my mate and he said its been a few years since he was able to rush them through computerisation made it harder to put things on the top of piles from the bottom.. Also the places have become full of jobsworths due to the threat of redundancies.. IE more protocol and layers of bureaucracy means more supposed work.. Thats the reason he has got out..

Unfortunately post 911 the rules regarding traveling on folks passports and you taking the disclaimer for the fine is not allowed either (whethere you would take a chance on a 5k fine though is upto you)

I feel for you mate.. if I was you I would be carefull you dont slip getting out of the shower anytime soon[;)] back pain is notoriously hard to diagnose.

Wheer are you going? is driving a possibility.. if not maybe just for you and your son?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Wheer are you going? is driving a possibility.. if not maybe just for you and your son?
Drivings not an option. Anywhere thats needs a passport to fly to also needs one to drive to.
I know that its just passport check on the ferrys and chunnels are nowhere near as rigourous as the Airport

1 - 20 of 26 Posts