Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I'm looking into different cars at the moment and I'm surprised as to what I can get in a passat for 3k!

Anyway, I don't really want anything bigger than the bora and I always presumed the passat was a bigger car. However, looking on parkers, its only 20cm longer and apparently 3cm smaller in width? Is this correct?!

·
Registered
445 Posts
It certainly doesn't feel any narrower than a Bora/Golf. I think the
extra 20cm length is partly attributed to the way the engine is
mounted, but also has far far more rear leg room.

The figures I have suggest Passat is 33cm longer and 1 cm wider

Even better, ?1.5k in the classifieds...

·
Registered
445 Posts
This,
forgot classified posts weren't instant, should be on soon. Enough post
hijacking from me, Passat = thumbs up! If I say anything else about
them now it'l just sound like i'm trying to sell the car!

·
Registered
459 Posts
If your buying a house and you've already got your 1.8T golf, why go and buy ANOTHER car.  Even if it is a diesel... on average you will need to do at least 30K before the higher mpg of a diesel starts becoming cheaper for you to run.  Just keep the golf and save the 3K for the house.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL everyone keeps telling me to keep either the golf or the bora!

When I mve, it will be a 100mile round trip to work everyday at least. That's why I need a diesel, have said this many times!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here's a bit of advice. I used to live 25 miles from work and it took me 45mins to get in. I then moved to York (52miles away) Thats a 104 mile round trip. It took me 1.5 hrs from York to work. Thats 3 hours a day JUST driving to and from work. I lasted 5 months then I had to find another job as it was killing my social life.

Do you love your job enough to want to spend all that time travelling. If you do then your lucky, if not then you'll probably end up getting a job closer to home. If that happens then you've wasted your money when you have a perfectly good Golf.

Here's an example around the money you have to spend.

You want a VAG car, but a cheap one, but decent spec. OK After a very quick search on autotrader I find two Skoda Octavia GLX spec cars on T plates with similar mileage and condition (GLX is the equivilant of elegence spec so its a highish spec).

Like for like-ish in terms on power output;

TDI 90bhp for ?3495
1.6 Petrol around 100bhp for ?2495

Thats a ?1000 premium for the diesel. So on average a gallon of diesel is about 10p more expensive than a gallon a petrol

Diesel = ?4.10
Petrol = ?4.00

Your daily cost for getting to work in the Petrol assuming you do 35mpg (which a 1.6 is more than capable of doing) would be ?11.42
Your daily cost for getting to work in the Diesel assuming you do 45mpg (which a TDI 90bhp is realistic of doing) would be ?9.11

So on a daily basis (on fuel alone) it looks cheaper. But factor in the extra cost of buying the diesel and the figures look a lot different

Keep the car for a year and the daily cost for the diesel is actually ?13.27 (based on working 240 days (48 working weeks out of 52 due to holidays etc))

So after you finish laughing out loud, do you really need another car? and does it really need to be a diesel.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, very very helpful summary, thanks. I'd actually never thought of even looking at 1.6's I always seem to look past them. I'll certainly have a look at others instead of just diesels now.

As for my job, I have always been all over the place, I'm self employed, but have a couple of on-going contracts.

My other thoughts for the diesel were they are capable, at least you'd think of higher mileages, 200k for a VAG diesel engine shouldn't be a problem, but I can imagine 200k for a 1.6 being a problem. Whether I would ever get to 200k is a different matter.

Ayway, this was more about the size of the passat, as I thought they were a lot wider, but maybe not so it seems.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah sorry for going off topic, just wanted to get rid of this myth that diesels are cheaper to run because the due a little more miles to the gallon

·
Registered
453 Posts
May be not!

You didnt keep in mind the car depreation of petrol vs derv. I would of thought the petrol would of depreciated alot more than the derv, over the year.

Sorry dont mean to cause an argument, just another angle to look at?

·
Registered
459 Posts
When you have ?3K to play with I don't think depreciation is gonna be a big factor.  You've lost the biggest hit of money when your down to that price level already.  It's more which car sells quicker, and at the moment diesels seem to do because of this misconception of them being cheaper overall.  You will have to keep the car for more than 30,000 miles for it to even start being cheaper than the equivialent petrol.  Thats not opinion.... it's fact.  3 Car mags and some car governing body (can't remember the names) have all stated this over the past year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thats a ?1000 premium for the diesel. So on average a gallon of diesel is about 10p more expensive than a gallon a petrol

Diesel = ?4.10
Petrol = ?4.00

Your daily cost for getting to work in the Petrol assuming you do 35mpg (which a 1.6 is more than capable of doing) would be ?11.42
Your daily cost for getting to work in the Diesel assuming you do 45mpg (which a TDI 90bhp is realistic of doing) would be ?9.11

So on a daily basis (on fuel alone) it looks cheaper. But factor in the extra cost of buying the diesel and the figures look a lot different

Keep the car for a year and the daily cost for the diesel is actually ?13.27 (based on working 240 days (48 working weeks out of 52 due to holidays etc))

So after you finish laughing out loud, do you really need another car? and does it really need to be a diesel.
In my experience, the cost of fuel would be more expensive then diesel. The vag petrols don't run well on standard unleaded and need super unleaded or Optimax to work the best. This costs about 3p per litre (min) more than diesel which bring down the difference in cost between petrol diesel. The use of super unleaded is VAG recommendation and (from experience) leads to bad pinking and long term other issues.

There is also the other hassle that Optimax etc is less widely avaliable. But the sums do need to be looked at very carefully because it would depend on mileage.

W36 - I think the best way to go is to stick with your golf (do you find this needs higher octane fuel?) rather then buy another car, especially if it might be for relativily short term.

</my-2p>

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, I don't just have the 1.8T golf, I have a 2.3 V5 Bora aswell, though hopefully this is being offloaded to my dad (not hopefully in that I want it gone as I love it, but hopefully so it stays in the family!).

I am going to be keeping the golf for the short term at least. I can get around 37mpg now the golf is back to standard on standard alloys etc. The 18" alloys were getting me around 33mpg, certainly makes a difference.

The only reason for all of this car shuffling is that I need to grow up, get rid of debts (cars being one debt!) and start getting myself some savings and get a place. I used to think nothing of swapping my cars every 4-6 months and loosing 1-2k each time. Car's have eaten my money but at least I have had fun while doing it!

All my questions for differing cars are because I dont want to just dive in and get another, I want to make sure it ticks every box. All the other cars I have bought have been because it has leather seats, or it has a turbo, or it has this or that etc.

If I stayed at my parents place I could easily afford to keep running both, but I seem to have lost interest in cars now, at least the interest of upgrading all the time and adding bits. The next car just has to be very reliable and cheap to run. Also has to be decent, I'm not looking for ?500 peugeots or corsas!

The passat was one which just cropped up as I have never looked into them before.

I use standard 95 ron in both the V5 and 1.8T. I have used optimax but didnt find a big difference, not enough to warrant an extra couple of quid each fill up anyway.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Why don't you have a look at the toledo's as they are cheap as
chips and im sure they do the 115bhp model in them which is pretty
perky but not amazingly quick and will return good mpg.

Sat

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why don't you have a look at the toledo's as they are cheap as chips and im sure they do the 115bhp model in them which is pretty perky but not amazingly quick and will return good mpg.

Sat
I've looked, they are rare as hens teeth! I can find the 90 and 110bhp no probs.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Satnam, nice finds! Obviously I look in a different area to you.

That toledo V5 with 63k on the clock is WELL worth a punt. Leather seats a climate too! I'm actually quite tempted, shame its so far away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you get a car?

I have the Passat and it feels much bigger inside than a Golf/Bora/Octavia/Leon.

If you want boot space and don't mind the bland-ish looks, then the Octavia has the biggest boot, but the old style looks dated compared to the new Octavia.

Isn't the Toledo V5 just the same as the Bora V5? (why would you sell the Bora V5 only to buy a Seat version of the same car?)

Before buying the Passat I have now I was looking for deisel Octavia's but around this price they all seem to have very high mileages (120k+ possibly used as taxi's?) - and managed to find a low mileage deisel Passat (68k).

One thing that might tempt you towards a TDI instead of a petrol is that a TDI can be tuned much more effectively (by chippeduk etc) than a petrol.

I've tried finding tuning for my friends pretrol 1.6 115bhp Golf V and the best I saw was someone offering an extra 7bhp, yet a 1.9TDI 100 can be tuned to give an extra 35+ bhp for the same price making it a much more fun car :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts