Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just test driven one today, and I'm very impressed [:D]

Black with leather and 17's, tinted windows and a spoiler, nice motorway cruiser, but also very adept at corners and roundabouts too... no wheelspin, but getting used to the turbo lag again was an experience!

So, if anyone happens to spot one for sale near them, let me know! They're very hard to spot though, they don't get listed on the vw used car site as 4mo, or on Auotrader - mind you, there are rare as hen's teeth!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, just looked on Autotrader after I posted this, there is quite a few [:D]

Steve, That car looks lush, shame it's nearly ?19k tho [:O] I'm looking for something near ?15k tops.

I have seen one on Autotrader, it's just a case of selling the audi now.. which I forgot to add, the dealer only offered ?18k for!! [:(] How bad is that after three months of owning it!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah Mike, it's very nice but is quite pricey though, there is a blue one on the trader with the same spec for ?15995, lot of car for the money imo...

Would be a cracking car i reckon, especially Revo'd!... all that torque and no wheelspin would be great, the lack of traction on my standard PD130 is bad enough and is very annoying sometimes, i got beat from the lights in the rain by a 1.4 Astra on saturday!! I sat there lighting up my tyres with the ASR flashing like Las Vegas and he just pulled away!... [:I][:I]

Good luck with the sale of the Audi btw [:)]

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found another one with leather and xenons... but it's fresco green.. not sure if I could go for that or not!

Now where's that Passat that Foxy posted a while back hehe, I think that was fresco green!

Edit (again!): Ok, found it... it's the old model, but you get the idea!

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Lot of money tho for a car that will no doubt lose money like theres no tomorrow, like most Passats do. IF you think your Audi lost money mate, i would think again.

Big things too, a bloke at work has one (130PD 4mo aye?), ive been out in it a few times, and its heavy, and very wallowy, you can tell its based on the MK4!!

You sure its the car for you? I just dont see you in one.... you arent old enough yet!! lol

EDIT: Why not another MK4?? Why not an Anni PD or even a well specced 150PD? Gonna be a lot cheaper than ?15k too..... i couldnt pay that for a Passat, personally.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Now that i really like!! [:D]

Quite like that colour myself tbh, and if i were going for one i would prefer the estate version as i think the 'lines' of the car are more suited to the estate bodyshell imo.. or perhaps i'm just getting old as i really like estate cars!.....[;)][:p]

Now, where do i find a RHD Bora variant PD 150 4 motion with Votex kit......? [;)]

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by Chris on 01/03/2005 21:00:11

Lot of money tho for a car that will no doubt lose money like theres no tomorrow, like most Passats do. IF you think your Audi lost money mate, i would think again.

Big things too, a bloke at work has one (130PD 4mo aye?), ive been out in it a few times, and its heavy, and very wallowy, you can tell its based on the MK4!!

I know it'll lose money, that's the hazard of the game though.. [:(]especially with the mileage I'll be doing. I'd get an 8-9k FWD drive one if I could, but the FWD keeps putting me off now, especially after having a quattro and a RWD bmw to drive around in the past couple of days.

The one I took out today didn't feel that wallowy to be honest, I chucked it round a fair few corners (much to the sales guy's fear!) and fair enough, it could do with being a bit lower but it was still fairly flat. But then again, I'm going to do be doing motorway miles now and sat at 70 on the A69 it just wafted along with no problems.

Suppose I should make a list of what I want out a car really.. it probably won't exist though lol!

EDIT: Why not another MK4?? Why not an Anni PD or even a well specced 150PD? Gonna be a lot cheaper than ?15k too..... i couldnt pay that for a Passat, personally.

I would, but again, FWD and if I was honest... I prefer saloons and estates [:I][:I] I've just seen a blue one going for ?11k, but there's no pic... hmmm!

You sure its the car for you? I just dont see you in one.... you arent old enough yet!! lol

Oh yeah, there's something I ain't been telling you guys...!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
my passat (TDI 130 Sport Estate) has lost very little in value since i bought it nearly a year ago.

Mike, that green variant is Ville's previous car, i am sure you have seen pics of his MKV with the Phaeton aloys - a pioneer on the European scene.

As for variants, the one above is obviously a B5 and not a B5.5 (the current model).

If your looking for nice variant pics, there is only one IMO:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One thing to bear in mind, is that the new B6 Passat is due out shortly, i am not sure of the exact UK release date, but obviously this will affect prices of later models of the current shape.

The standard sport spec is pretty good to be honest, i was quite impressed with the suspension when i first drove one. All i have done is added a Neuspeed rear ARB, but yes, ideally it should still be a bit lower.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos on 01/03/2005 19:24:34

I've only ever seen one of them Mike....how many have you seen for sale?

was that the one with all the badges

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 02/03/2005 09:04:11

Posted Image

Sweet Mercy! That looks good [:D] Maybe a little too low for my taste though!

One thing to bear in mind, is that the new B6 Passat is due out shortly, i am not sure of the exact UK release date, but obviously this will affect prices of later models of the current shape.

I'm hoping this will swing in my favour if I can wait long enough, all depends on what comes up and when really!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I see an hear all your comments mate. Here are my thoughts (feel free to shoot down in flames)

Why not FWD it is a system which has its flaws but for 99.9% of days its ideal (ask most people if their cars are front or rear or if on a drive you can honestly tell the difference - bet they can't) 4wd could incur extra cost for service and because of its nature is going to mean 4 tyres each time faster than with 2wd. It would also end up costing more to run fuel wise because of the latent drag (compare the R32 against my bora or yours and its v. apparent on gas pedal lift. You are after all trying to save some money here.

Why not buy a 2 year old mondeo or summat (mate has tdci ghia jobbie)all the trimmings and massive amount of money already lost so you'll not suffer there?

Failing that go down the lease route and then every eventuallity is covered.

[/sad boring mode] [;)]

I'm the old git driving the volvo don't outdo me please on the large family barge front [;)]

On second thoughts go on then hehe

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Methinks you could be right Rich (and Chris of course...)

I wanted something that could eat up the motorway miles, but also be quite good for Hartside on the way back from wherever I've been lol

I think I should concentrate on the cheapness front really shouldn't I... The car will get modded, you know what I'm like, but not for a while til everything has settled down - it is my only hobby after all!

I think I'll still try and stick with something German, I've never liked the Ford or Vauxhalls, they don't seem to suit my erm, Bavarian frame! lol

Ah well, back to Autotrader!

Edit: To remove excess !! marks!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeP on 02/03/2005 19:10:41

I wanted something that could eat up the motorway miles, but also be quite good for Hartside on the way back from wherever I've been lol

TBH most cars should do this out of the box anyway. The Volvo is much much better than the Bora was over there, the speed is soo much easier to carry through corners etc. You really need to do your research, as we all know the regular MK4 models need fettling to remove the std jelly suspension. Get something that does it all straight away.

I think I'll still try and stick with something German, I've never liked the Ford or Vauxhalls, they don't seem to suit my erm, Bavarian frame! lol

Ermmmmmm.......no comment [:eek:)]

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm currently in a similarish dilemma with a similarish budget.

Finding it very tricky!

Looked at Fords, Skodas,etc but still keep coming back to look at VWs.

A Passat estate could be useful if I ditch my "driving enthusiast" head until we can get something tasty again.

·
Registered
990 Posts
We have had our Sport for about a year and it is a fantastic car. It also handles better than our fwd passat (which happens to be fresco green!) The Sport version does wallow a bit, but no more than a GTI. Better discs and set of arb's will be coming after it's remapped.

In situations where the front loses grip, you can feel the torsen diff apportioning power to the rear.

Mike if you can find one buyit mate, it is an underrated car and basically an A6 quattro underneath.

Check out Cameron's in Perth, they had 4 when we got ours

·
Registered
86 Posts
I reckon most people who've had 4WD will never go back to FWD again... And the only way of getting 4WD, and a decent TDI engine, is a Passat 4mo..! So I see where Mike's coming from.

See your point about the tyres Rich, but TBH my fronts are wearing much quicker than my rears anyway - they do most of the braking, and the steering too don't forget. So you'll never end up replacing all 4 at once. Or at least, it's only as likely as with a FWD car. Plus, the Haldex 4WD doesn't mind having different tyre wear front/rear anyway.

But Rich deffo right about the depreciation on Passats [:(]

Could always look for an old A3 TDI quattro, Mike?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts