Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a Passat (2000 W) and really, really want to add cruise control to it! [:D]

First of all, does anyone know if it can be done. I am pretty sure that my throttle is 'fly-by-wire'(?), so I think it should be compatable.

How much will it cost to have it added (including the parts)?

Does anyone know someone that can do it for me aswell (I live in bristol but I am willing to travel.

Thanks for your help.

Matt[:D]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DubJon for the offer, but being that you are my brother I already know that you are lying and can't do it yourself!!

Did I hear a rumour that you have some TOP NOTCH I.C.E. for sale though?

Thanks also djhorace (LOL). However having just done my first long journey to London yesterday I found that your type of modification was unsatisfactory. It frequently became faulty and allow me to speed, therefore setting off my ADVANCED SPEEDING ALERT SYSTEM (AKA - The Wife).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep it can be done, just done it, with BIG thanks to Tomdoc and Foxy who did the ground work, check my post out for cruise control and if you need any help just pm me, or Tomdoc as I'm sure he wont mind, a real all round great guy, as without him it would have been tricky to say the least. Foxy can supply the stork and wiring harness, you'll need to mod the wiring harness with a new conections from Maplins, buy a 'D' plug .59p and cut it up for the connections and resoldier them on to the harness supplied from Foxy. Foxys site gives the basic, ie for a golf then relate to Tomdocs guide and if you require I'll send some further pics to top up Tomdocs bit and finally you'll need to activate your ecu.

Like I say if I can help just ask.

Regards

Ray

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnaks for the advice.

How much did it cost you in total?

I am no good at all with any thing electrical!!

Do you think that you (and/or Tomdoc and Foxy) sort it all out for me please? It's not that I am Lazy, but I don't want to KILL my new car.

Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, but your going to have to get some one to do the work, I'm 7 hrs drive away from you in the land of milk and honey and tomdoc's another 3, so it's a bit out for us, plus it's a good half days work if all goes well. The bits cost me ?53.00 ish, but for me it's worth it, apart from the novelty value I drive 50 mile to work each day all m/way so it may pay back in fuel saving. If you need help advise I'll gladly give it and I'm sure Tom would as well.

Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
You two stop your complaining. I'm just back from Aberdeen 320miles round trip. Be glad to offer any help though. Not often in Bristol though.... Sorry

Tom

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
tomdoc/dava, an i ask what engine the xcruise has been fitted to please, as it is not obvious from what i have read.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Marc, Both cars are 1.9TDi

mine is a 100PD and Ray has a 130PD

I have had a look at the wiring on a 1998 1.9TDi 110 and it is the same also.

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds like a really good price.

How long did they say it would take?

Do you already have any of the parts fitted to your car or will they need to do the who 'big job'.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just spoken to my two local stealers.

One of them was (totally) useless, as per usuall! Both parts and service oblivious to there being any way of doing this.

The other stealer (Bath) seemed to think that there might be a retro-fit kit, but there system said it was only for a TDi.

Can you shed any light on this, maybe with a part number or the number for the dealer your car is booked into so I can give them a ring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your car is fly by wire it can be done, check this link; http://www.golfmk4.co.uk/cruise_control.htm

If you want to check it's fly by wire, sit in the car in neutral rev to say 2k and press the brake if revs drop to idle, it is fly by and cruise can be fitted. To be honest ?150 is a good price as the parts are ?54 of foxy so the dealers will be a lot more, there's somebody on here doing it for ?70, but thats just fitting.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Only trouble is that the Passat uses different connectors in between the engine and interior looms - if someone could confirm the part number of the Passat connector housings then I can sort out how different the cruise control loom(s) would need to be.

Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
Done that it's a different conectionion into the multi plug (white one) under the ECU, got mine from Maplins a D plug .59p cut the plug up and soldiered new ones on. Make sure you make a good clean job of the soldiering as it has to push into the white multi plug and if there are any 'snots' on the connector it wont go into the plug. Got some left if you have a use for them.

Ray

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ray, Do you still have the white plug? You might be able to get a part number of it.

I have had a look in the parts CD and also on RS components, and can't find a connector anything like it.

The pins are very fine. Same as what you would find in a computer D plug, but the back of the pin shoudd have a barb grip on it. The D pins need to be glued in place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah Tom still got the original white plug, dont think you will get it seperatly though, it's part of the wiring harness, if Chris want's it, if he pm's his address I'll zap it across the pond to him. The one's from Maplin work fine though, as when you reassemble the white multi plug it clamps the wires so it would take a lot to come out. It's a good reference to any body doing it as a retro fit as it shows were the wires go with out trying to work it out from the wiring diagram.

Ray

Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Folks, Help me if you can. I bought a cruise control from a group buy here a while ago, also bought a harness from foxy ( i think!) well, to this day its still not wired up, its fitted but not wired to the ECU.

Do any diagrams, photos, updated helps exist? Sadly, i blew an ECU off my old G plate passat anhd it cost me 500 green ones. I'm **loathe** to start pluging wires in to my ecu without have a good idea of whats what.

If anyone can help (im willing to pay if anyone will do it, ill travel and pay ?100 but i want it doing right! Solder and heatshrink etc. No scotchlocks)i would be most gratefull as with the exception of the front fogs, my car is done. Caratere kit on, sebring exhaust, chip and insured today 600 quid, fully declared. Didnt think that was too bad. Adrian flux insurance btw. cheaper then greenflag the next best quote.

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts