Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm going to look for a new car in the new year. I've decided on either a A4 Quattro (manu) or a passat DSG.

both will be a 2.0 TDI, and both will be an estate. Why would you go for and why?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hard choice tbh its personal preference, i'd have to drive both to see which I prefer, but if its a second hand buy, then beware of DSG failures at about 60k+ miles seems to be worryingly common (online) - costs like £3k to fix with a new mechatronics replacement.

If I had to choose, I'd say Audi - I do like awd, so the quattro is tempting in itself.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Depends what your going to need it for?
if size and running costs are important- the Passat
The old man had a 2004/5 A4 Quattro TDI and has now moved onto a 2010 A4 Allroad Quattro TDi. Neither have impressed me so much that I would pay extra to have them over an equivilent Passat. Just have a good brand and model name IMO
Can you no longer get a Passat 4motion with a manual box? Should be the same torsen 4wd as fitted to the A4/A6 Quattro IIRC

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not particularly Damian.

We're going to be looking at having kids at some point in the future, so I want an estate to be able to carry prams and stuff. The bora's boot, although quite big, has such a limited access.

Plus, I miss having the ability to be able to carry big things like wardrobes if moving house etc.

It would be a 2nd hand car, so if it was DSG, it would hopefully be past the point where the box has issues too

·
Registered
988 Posts
Not particularly Damian.

We're going to be looking at having kids at some point in the future, so I want an estate to be able to carry prams and stuff. The bora's boot, although quite big, has such a limited access.

Plus, I miss having the ability to be able to carry big things like wardrobes if moving house etc.

It would be a 2nd hand car, so if it was DSG, it would hopefully be past the point where the box has issues too
Are you saying that if the DSG box doesnt have issues early in life it wont have issues later?? i would have thought the likelyhood of problems increases with mileage...
Btw have u seen this site: http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=tehimh9appn3n1oi39bsapek35&

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant beleive that all DSG gearboxes are affected though, only a small number. Surely there would have been outrage if all of them broke?

No. I wasn't saying that if they didn't have the issue early on that they wouldn't have the problem, but as you said above, it's normally up to about 60k or early on.

Plus, on the DSG Woes site, you can get a replacement if you have a warrenty from warrenty direct, which is a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I cant beleive that all DSG gearboxes are affected though, only a small number. Surely there would have been outrage if all of them broke?

No. I wasn't saying that if they didn't have the issue early on that they wouldn't have the problem, but as you said above, it's normally up to about 60k or early on.

Plus, on the DSG Woes site, you can get a replacement if you have a warrenty from warrenty direct, which is a cheap alternative.
But rich said this too

Usually the DSG fails early on the the cars life, so that shouldn't really be an issue! Test drive them both, you might hate the dsg in a diesel!
hmm i kinda see your point, if its going to fail it should have failed by the time you get it but ive heard of a few people running into problems with their 2nd box, after a replacement!

I was looking into this a while earlier since my brother runs a DSG r32 (no problems atm), and their do seem to be a rather large number of people getting problems and replacing DSG's - I get the feeling that certain driving styles may agravate the problem too (but a gear box should be able the handle any reasonable driving style) and if your style of shifting is not conducive to the box life, if could fail on you... maybe.

I loved the DSG box when I drove it in my brothers car to be fair - really loved it, but I fancy getting an r32 myself in a few years, I reckon i will get a manual gear box... having said that, the warranty direct deal does look good.

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Also.... think how many cars that came of the VW plant with DSG vs how many problems you hear about them, its a very small proportion.

On here there must be about 1.5 million threads of things that go wrong with the mk4s... but does that put people off buying them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts