Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a "trade club card" for a VW dealership. How do you get them?

My mate is a self employed mechanic / garage owner, would he be able to get one.

Just checked price of a part, ?83.10 + vat retail, ?54.74 + vat trade.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
theres no such thing. if you're a business you have an account with them and you get trade prices. you usually have to have proof such as a vat certificate or headed paper. the amount of discount varies depending on how much they like u (ie how much money you throw their way). Obviously it works out cheaper for a proper business as they claim the VAT back too.

I'll give the parts people credit, they're always game for a bit of bartering!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
As above, there is no such thing as a VW trade card. Some manufacturers like Vauxhall run a trade club but they dont give membership away willy nilly. You have to meet minimum spending targets to keep the membership etc. Its not the sort of thing Jo Public can join into, you have to be a registered company...

I work for a multi franchise (non VW) dealer in parts. That discount on that part is about 35%. I would not give even my best bodyshop that sort of discount, even on lights or service bits, so that seems either very generous or too good to be true.

Big spending bodyshops get up to 30% on some things, and garages get about the same on most service bits (excluding trade clubs) if they are lucky. 15% -25% is a more realistic figure for most good customers, and good means spending over a grand a month say.

I would give no more than 10% on most general bits to most of the trade, and maybe 20% if I was in a good mood to a general garage for service stuff.

A retail punter claiming trade would usually get no more than 10% on anything, and if I dont think they are trade, I ask for a business card. No proof, no discount, or minimal discount if I cant be asked with the arguement that may ensue.. The number of people that try on the old 'I work for the council/fire brigade' etc line still makes me laugh. Thats not the motor trade, and you certainly won't give me a discount on my council tax so why should I help you out! Another good one is 'my mates brothers girlfriends dad used to work in a garage so that entitles me to trade discount' line (a bit OTT but you get the idea). No it doesnt...Worth a go though, catch me in a good mood and all that. Pretty girls who shamelessly chat me up to get discount will always get their way too lol

If you want top discount, you have to spend top money, and that would mean you have a credit account anyway.

I am very good friends with a couple of the parts advisors at my local VW dealer, and even knowing them, I only get 10% on my genuine VAG parts...

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi guys ..... there is a VW trade club it works the same as the vauxhall one i have got a book and card at work you only get a big saving on service parts .

·
Registered
120 Posts
, and garages get about the same on most service bits (excluding trade clubs) if they are lucky. 15% -25% is a more realistic figure for most good customers, and good means spending over a grand a month say.
It takes a lot more than a grand a month to be a good customer.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'll take it back then! I was told there was no trade club...!

And yes, ?1000 is really a minimum to make them a big spender, some of our bodyshops spend up to ?25k a month with our multi franchise group, hence they do get very big discount as the profit can be made up with the rebates from the turnover/spending

·
Registered
347 Posts
or you could just try getting friendly with someone at your local dealership. i did this, and got ?32 worth of hoseing for ?6, and am just going to pick up a window regulator which is normally about ?85 for ?65inc vat. it pays to be friendly sometimes [:)]

·
Registered
120 Posts
or you could just try getting friendly with someone at your local dealership. i did this, and got ?32 worth of hoseing for ?6, and am just going to pick up a window regulator which is normally about ?85 for ?65inc vat. it pays to be friendly sometimes [:)]
Believe me, I am extremely friendly with my local Parts Manager. [;)]

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
, and garages get about the same on most service bits (excluding trade clubs) if they are lucky. 15% -25% is a more realistic figure for most good customers, and good means spending over a grand a month say.
we get the trade book but not a card, maybe its coz we're on an account. the discount depends on what the parts are tho, VW (apparently) dont make much profit on electrical items so they dont give much discount. there's no substitute for being friendly to a parts person tho!! if only they were as nice as they sound on the phone! [;)]

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
you dont have to be in the trade to get at trade prices.

just make friends with them[;)] ive got a mate who works in the trade parts bit at vw and he does me things at trade price plus staff discount[:D] as people that had 17" evolos inc. pilot tyres off me at for ?450 know[;)] got my full u.s. rear bumper for ?80 too. oh and them exhaust that usually retail for like over ?300 that i got for ?150.[:D]

like i said stalk them and make friends,its worth it.[:p]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Lol, I am good mates with 2 of the advisors at my local dealer, used to work with them, but their parts manager will still only allow them to give 10% on anything, and from what I can gather it really isnt worth their while trying to wangle something better for me. Maybe I have a frugal dealer. I still only get 10% if I order any parts through my companies account!   

·
Registered
122 Posts
you dont have to be in the trade to get at trade prices.

just make friends with them[;)] ive got a mate who works in the trade parts bit at vw and he does me things at trade price plus staff discount[:D] as people that had 17" evolos inc. pilot tyres off me at for ?450 know[;)] got my full u.s. rear bumper for ?80 too. oh and them exhaust that usually retail for like over ?300 that i got for ?150.[:D]

like i said stalk them and make friends,its worth it.[:p]
I can vouch for J1111ASE on that, 2 months later and i'm stilll buzzing :D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yep I get trade plus staff discount at my local through a mate still sometimes works out cheaper going to G&Swedish though as they get better discounts on certain parts due to minimal mark up on some items.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Gosh, ive tried to talk my way in but nohing :( ! Anyone willing to see if they can wiggle me a nice discount on a r32 front,back and skirts + a few other things?

Cheers guys

1 - 20 of 24 Posts