Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on holiday in November and am looking at parking the car at Heathrow (for as little as possible!) and am looking for recommendations?

I've done a fairly comprehensive search online and it seems I can get it for around £58 off-airport which isn't bad (Purple Parking & TLC Parking). The only problem is they park your car for you and you have to leave them with the keys[:S] For parking it myself on-airport, I'm looking at paying £76. Is £20 worth paying for exrtra piece of mind that your car will be parked properly and not ragged whilst they have possession of the keys?

Any other recommendations on car parks where I can park it myself and keep my keys? At the moment I'm swaying towards paying the extra and having the convenience of being on the airport site and knowing that my car won't be touched.

And don't bother saying I can leave it at your house and you'll look after my keys for me either because I know what you lot are like[:p]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ive never been in this situation myself but if i was you leave it on the airports car park, pay the little extra.

I was watching a Watchdog like programme not so long back about airport parking and there off site parking consisted of a 20mile drive through centre of London to park your car in a scrapyard like placement, muddy ground, no security....proper door to door parking...lots of customers went complaining to watchdog because of the damage and how they didnt have permission to take it their.

Im not saying it happens in all cases but £20 more is alot better than possibly paying for panels to be fixed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
And don't bother saying I can leave it at your house and you'll look after my keys for me either because I know what you lot are like[:p]
espically since you been to BBT!!!!

I parked car on-airport last time i went away for week. There was something about them parking your car at the airport in the Sky News, i think last week.

Found something on net- http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13545800,00.html

Not sure which airport was used for this article

Sorry if it scares you Golfgirl, wouldn't want your R32 damaged

Tam

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
i'd pay the £20 quid, the offsite ones aren't all they're cracked upto be (some use industrial estate lots if they're busy) but at this time of year it should be in the main park.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
How long you going away for Claire?

I used Heathrow's own Business Parking (Pink Elephant) back in April.

You park up yourself, 10mins shuttle ride to your terminal, and safe as houses.

It's on the expensive side though. But I was parked next to Mercs and Bentleys.

I've used Purple Parking before and I think they are one of the better companies.

You do leave your car and keys with them however. The car park itself seems safe enough to me.

All depends on how much you value your car really.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Let the train take the strain, we just had a week away and had to fly from Birmingham, the price from London Euston to Birmingham £10 each one way via Virgin Trains.

I never take the car to the airport, I find I worry too much when on holiday.

·
Registered
530 Posts
as Del suggested, leave your car at home, if thats not an option, id suggest paying the extra for the airport carpark. At the end of the day you want some assurance that your car is going to be in one piece when you get back. i know what i would choose.

Noel

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I've used Purple Parking before and I think they are one of the better companies.

You do leave your car and keys with them however. The car park itself seems safe enough to me.

I'm only going for 8 days. I looked into the Business parking but it was £86. The only benefit I could see was that it was slightly less distance to the terminal than the long-stay car park.

Let the train take the strain, we just had a week away and had to fly from Birmingham, the price from London Euston to Birmingham £10 each one way via Virgin Trains.

I've considered the train and although it's possible it's not ideal. I'd need to get a train at the crack of dawn to ensure I get to the airport on time, plus I'd have to get several tubes from Paddington to Heathrow which I don't really fancy with 20-odd kg of luggage. It will also be on a Saturday which I expect will be busy.

I've decided to pay the extra and stay in Heathrow's own long stay car park anyway. An extra £20 odd isn't much for piece of mind that I'm parked somewhere that is safe and where I don't have to leave my keys with anyone to use or lose....

·
Registered
894 Posts

I'm only going for 8 days. I looked into the Business parking but it was £86. The only benefit I could see was that it was slightly less distance to the terminal than the long-stay car park.

I've considered the train and although it's possible it's not ideal. I'd need to get a train at the crack of dawn to ensure I get to the airport on time, plus I'd have to get several tubes from Paddington to Heathrow which I don't really fancy with 20-odd kg of luggage. It will also be on a Saturday which I expect will be busy.

I've decided to pay the extra and stay in Heathrow's own long stay car park anyway. An extra £20 odd isn't much for piece of mind that I'm parked somewhere that is safe and where I don't have to leave my keys with anyone to use or lose....
The Heathrow Express takes 15 mins from paddington.....

http://www.heathrowexpress.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going on holiday in November and am looking at parking the car at Heathrow (for as little as possible!) and am looking for recommendations?

I've done a fairly comprehensive search online and it seems I can get it for around £58 off-airport which isn't bad (Purple Parking & TLC Parking). The only problem is they park your car for you and you have to leave them with the keys[:S] For parking it myself on-airport, I'm looking at paying £76. Is £20 worth paying for exrtra piece of mind that your car will be parked properly and not ragged whilst they have possession of the keys?

Any other recommendations on car parks where I can park it myself and keep my keys? At the moment I'm swaying towards paying the extra and having the convenience of being on the airport site and knowing that my car won't be touched.

Having worked briefly for Purple parking, I can vouch that your car is safe in terms of where it's parked.

If you opt for the park & ride where you drop the car off at their depot then they'll just park it within the compound so there's no opportunity for them to rag it as there's a speed limit.

If you opt for the chauffeur service where they meet you at the terminal and take the car from you then I can say that in most cases your car will be cained.......................... reason being that the chauffeurs are paid per car and not per hour so it's in their interests to get to/from the airport as fast as possible! [:D]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Heathrow Express takes 15 mins from paddington.....

http://www.heathrowexpress.com
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the Heathrow Express! I thought I'd have to get several tube trains. Looking at it though, it will cost me £26 for a return ticket plus £50 for a return ticket to/from home to Paddington. So it's just as economical to drive. For the added convenience/comfort/quicker travelling time I'd prefer to take the car.

It's really annoying because my cousin (who is going with me) has got a return ticket from Norwich to London for £15 but there's no cheap deals like that over this side of the country. I'm quite happy to go by train as long as it's cheap enough and easy enough, which in this case it isn't[:(]

[

Having worked briefly for Purple parking, I can vouch that your car is safe in terms of where it's parked.

If you opt for the park & ride where you drop the car off at their depot then they'll just park it within the compound so there's no opportunity for them to rag it as there's a speed limit.

If you opt for the chauffeur service where they meet you at the terminal and take the car from you then I can say that in most cases your car will be cained.......................... reason being that the chauffeurs are paid per car and not per hour so it's in their interests to get to/from the airport as fast as possible! [:D]
Thanks for that useful info, will bear it in mind if I ever use Purple Parking in the future!

·
Registered
398 Posts
not parked at heathrow but used the ncp long stay at gatwick north - first time leaving the car at the airport but thought it was worth the extra cash to park up and take the keys with me!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I never leave my car at the airport I always book a hire car. Yes it can work out more expensive around £100 for both ways + fuel but you just walk out sign for a car and drive home. Most Car hire car parks are by the arrivals or departure buildings although I think Heathrow is slightly different. Also if for some reason you land at a different airport you can still get a car and drive home. I always use boomerang with europcar but you have to call to book it. Or I've found that oneway bookings on Thomsons website thru europcar work out cheap.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I used to leave my Anni at Purple Parking Heathrow and up until early this year I was leaving my Mk5 there almost every weekend. I have to say that I never had any problems with them. I always did the park and ride. It's not until you actually get to the place (I went and looked at the car park first before booking!!) that you realise the security is very tight and it would be very difficult for somebody to take your car without authority from the compound (either staff or theif!). They always but down paper mats in the car too and in the end I was getting so complacent with the service I was happy leaving my house keys, roadpilot, tomtom, sunglasses and cd's in the car - there were never any problems at all.

Can't reccomend them enough tbh and I would much rather park my car there than in the NCP at the airport!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can vouch that the security and the overall service @ Purple is excellent, they do look after their customers. In the rare event that something were to happen they always settle the problem financially without any arguments.

Their compound is also very near to the airport (just on the borders of Southall), so it's only a 10-15 min drive to/from the airport.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Pink Elephant - booked through BAA. My meticulous friend uses PE whenever he flies out of Heathrow. If it were no good he wouldn't use it. I've booked in there for my New York trip next year.

You really do not want to go on the tube with loads of luggage at any time. Not enough space and it will be busy early morning (although not rush hour busy!).

Drive, Fly, Drive again then plant a tree to counter the CO2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts