Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had the rear (black) section of their GTI painted body colour? Any pictures? How much did VW charge you to do it? Cheers...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had mine done last week on my Gt TDi trouble I dont know how to add a photo to this reply?
Upload it to some webspace and then put the URL for the image into the tags. If you like, email me the pic/s to [email protected] and i'll post for you.

I had my SE done last week along with my Votex skirts:

Posted Image

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Had mine done too. Cost me ?400 from a local (decent) body shop, and
that was for rear bumper, side skirts and front valence including
smoothing off the textured finish. Worth every penny IMHO[:)] It looks
so much better now and is how it should come out of the factory in the
first place.

See the pics here

Steve

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yours does look much better as they've done the proper job, and, in my opinion, ?400 for all that is easily worth it.

Not entirely impressed with mine, the textured surface is still really noticable close up. I paid ?60 for mine and took it to another bodyshop afterwards and they quoted me ?300 to get it done 'properly'. Don't think i'll bother i'll probably just get an aftermarket rear valance which is smooth to start off with, less chance of showing chippings etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that. Looks great on your cars - think I'll do the same with mine! Was getting an R32, until I drove one! The GTI is more my kind of car, the R32 was great and quicker, but the grille looked a bit iffy on the one I saw (although I still thionk it looks good on a silver car) What forced my hand was the price was nigh on ?30k for a car that doesn't look as good as the GTI and does not feel as sharp. So, a tornado red 3 door GTI has been ordered... sat nav, 18" Monzas, Winter pack, Park Sensor, Lux Pack 2, Xenons and hopefully recaros... delivery in April.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Good for you Mate, sounds a grea choice and spec,I fancied a Gti but
couldn't run to the 18 or so grand dealers wanted for a used model,
what with a new house and all.

Bet you can't wait for delivery day, as few sleeply nights and lot's of looking on the web and Gti's [:D]

Regards DB

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here but I think the rear looks better with the exhaust valance left in black, especially on bright coloured cars like red, silver, etc.

Sean

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good for you Mate, sounds a grea choice and spec,I fancied a Gti but couldn't run to the 18 or so grand dealers wanted for a used model, what with a new house and all.

Bet you can't wait for delivery day, as few sleeply nights and lot's of looking on the web and Gti's [:D]

Regards DB
Cheers. Really looking forward to it now. April seems a long way off though. Plan to have AmD go to work on it once run in... so a remap and Milltek should give me 250bhp and performance to out haul an R32 (in the dry anyway!), will also get a black sportec badge on the front and colour code all the rear and side skirts... should be quite special when I'm done.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I agree, If I was to paint the rear GTi Valance
I'd leave the lower section original (or get a carbon fibre
insert)
Totally agree. Thats what I'll be doing to mine. I think all colourcoded looks a bit wierd. All black isnt moddy enough [:p]

I will get the top colourcoded, then the lower lip that houses the
exhaust either left black or painted black/carbon effect. Bit like the
ABT kit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got a quote off Vindis VW to colour code the rear valance, side skirts and front skirt on my GTI... ?800! Comparewd to the prices you guys have paid, that seems like another VW total rip-off. Think I'll be getting someone else to do it. I did question the price and they thought it "very reasonable".

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just got a quote off Vindis VW to colour code the rear valance, side skirts and front skirt on my GTI... ?800! Comparewd to the prices you guys have paid, that seems like another VW total rip-off. Think I'll be getting someone else to do it. I did question the price and they thought it "very reasonable".
?800 does seem quite a lot!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What made me laugh (or cry) was that they thought that totally reasonable! I'll get a few quotes from various body shops and take the work there; when I told them stuff it, they tried to imply that only a VW approved body shop will be able to do it properley and work done elsewhere may invalidate the warranty! Yeah, right. Just to paint a few bits of plastic? What a load of cobblers these useless VW dealers come up with.   

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone had the rear (black) section of their GTI painted body colour? Any pictures? How much did VW charge you to do it? Cheers...
Here you go mate. Cost me ?110 from a local bodyshop. The price included fully detexturing the bumper before painting. Decided to leave the lowest part of the bumper unpainted for some contrast.

Posted Image

Scott

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have indeed Andy (you don't miss much do you!!). Also removed your favourite wee red GTI badge (although this will make its way onto my engine cover). Any clutter will be removed in due course to achieve the Euro Look!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Oh I think you'll regret taking the rear wiper off, especially in the rain with the spray and muck all over your back window. I know when I went from my Golf to my Bora I originally missed my rear wiper.

And my wee red badge had gone too[:'(]. Lol never noticed that one from the pic sneeky lol.

Top tip though Scott, put loads of Rain-X on your rear screen and the water etc. will just run off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts