Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya i have read lots of posts about different thigns to use to paint my calipers red. everyone seems to suggest a different product.what do i actuually go for?

halfords stuff or that japlec stuff...and do i paint on or spray on?

need some helpfull hints really.lots of things im not sure on...do i use primer etc as an undercoat.lol.

what do you rub the calipers down with before spraying

be nice if someone could help me here

gonna start doing it today if i can.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I used some rust removing gel I got from halfords. Can't remember the exact name but it's a small pot with green gel on the inside, I think I paid about 3 or 4 quid or it. Cleaned down the caliper in situ on the vehicle, Put some of the rust remoing gel and spent an hour or so cleaning each caliper up.

I then put some Hammerite smooth paint, not the aerosol version, onto the caliper in thin coats using a small brush and a plastic model aircraft paintbrush to do the small area's. Put on about 4 or 5 layers on and then left it overnight to harden.

Jobs a fish! I did mine in blue and think they look a little bit more subtle than red!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
just painting mine, havent taken calipers off, but have removed the pads. im curious what 18mm bolt your on about though, as there isnt one, just a 7mm allen key to remove the caliper!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Use the Japlac signal red from B&Q the best you will get for painting calipers I have used it for years lastes for ages I have even painted over my Anni calipers with it as it is better than the stuff VW put on at the factory

No need to remove them a good wire brush a clean with degreaser and 2 coats of Japlac dont worry if you get some black marks in the first coat let it dry and they will cover with the second

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Use the Japlac signal red from B&Q the best you will get for painting calipers I have used it for years lastes for ages I have even painted over my Anni calipers with it as it is better than the stuff VW put on at the factory

No need to remove them a good wire brush a clean with degreaser and 2 coats of Japlac dont worry if you get some black marks in the first coat let it dry and they will cover with the second
Sorry forgot to say paint them with a brush the Japlac stretches as it drys you do not see any brush marks

·
Registered
32 Posts
j11ajs:

Sorry forgot to say paint them with a brush the Japlac stretches as it drys you do not see any brush marks
Can I ask how long it took for them to dry? I fancy giving this a go next weekend if i'm able to!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As above really, I've painted a few over the years and just used a wire brush to clean the caliper and then leaving the caliper on I've painted them with hammerite paint - does the job.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
at the moment i have got my new porsche brakes and tt rears waiting to go on. i am using the hammerite smooth aerosol to paint them. the finish is spot on. the calipers arent on the car though so you may benifit using the brush technic. but if you have them off them spray all the way. i have been doing them in the spray booth at work and the paint is normally hardened fully within 2 days but easily touch dry overnight.

rob

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
All I did, rub my calipers down with a scotch, get a dustmask on though, rust dust isnt good. then I cleaned it off with panel wipe on a rag, and just liberaly brushed some halfords own 'high temperature satin black' paint out of a tin. thats that, did it 10pm the night before UD last year [:p]

Only took my wheels off, left pads etc in, just took the little clip off. I was just careful with the brush.

joN

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my old GT TDI I removed one wheel at a time and cleaned the caliper with a wire brush and brake cleaner. I then carefully painted Hammeright on using a small/medium size brush. I gave it time to dry before giving it a second coat to give it a bright red shine. After the second coat had dried i put the wheel back on. If you have axle stands you can do 2 at once or even all 4. They came up really well and was a cheap way of doing it. £10 for paint and 35p each for the brushes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my old GT TDI I removed one wheel at a time and cleaned the caliper with a wire brush and brake cleaner. I then carefully painted Hammeright on using a small/medium size brush. I gave it time to dry before giving it a second coat to give it a bright red shine. After the second coat had dried i put the wheel back on. If you have axle stands you can do 2 at once or even all 4. They came up really well and was a cheap way of doing it. £10 for paint and 35p each for the brushes!
How long did it take you to do it this way? I only have the weekend to do it, and I'm wondering if this will be enough time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I did mine in situ on the car, gave them a wire brusing then a blow down with the airline, then i simply painted it in red brake caliper paint from halfords which was about 6 pounds. Also painted the guard and centre of the disk silver while the first coat dried, then another coat of red,

Seb

·
Registered
214 Posts
How long did it take you to do it this way? I only have the weekend to do it, and I'm wondering if this will be enough time.
Not long mate, about 4 hours taking my time. If you have axle stands it will take you far less time as you can paint while the others are drying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Ollie,

Did you bother with primer when you painted your calipers with the Japlac paint?

I've just bought some Japlac 'really red' for mine.

Cheers mate

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.