Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, bit of a strange one as only noticed it today. The spoiler on my Tornado Red MK6 GTi has developed this clouding like effect. Any ideas what this is and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance. See image attached below.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Table Bumper Wood

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Those photos look typical of a paintjob finished in a clearcoat laquer top coat and the topcoat is beginning to deteriorate locally.
Although its more common with metallic or pearlescent paint, rather than solid colours, a quick internet search suggests that VW Tornado Red also has a clearcoat finish.
Where damage is localised and confined to the clearcoat and the solid colour basecoat is sound it should be possible to flat back the damaged laquer carefully with wet and dry paper to a sound base and then respray the clearcoat before blending in and polishing.
It may be worth visiting a local independent bodyshop for an opinion.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those photos look typical of a paintjob finished in a clearcoat laquer top coat and the topcoat is beginning to deteriorate locally.
Although its more common with metallic or pearlescent paint, rather than solid colours, a quick internet search suggests that VW Tornado Red also has a clearcoat finish.
Where damage is localised and confined to the clearcoat and the solid colour basecoat is sound it should be possible to flat back the damaged laquer carefully with wet and dry paper to a sound base and then respray the clearcoat before blending in and polishing.
It may be worth visiting a local independent bodyshop for an opinion.

Was hoping that wouldn't be the case. It was fine when I had the car detailed and coated. Looks like I may have to get it repainted 🙄. Will report back when I have more details but thanks so much for the advice. I'll pop back to the body shop I used for the rear quarter panel who did a smashing job. Hopefully it won't be too costly to paint and blend…

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
If you had it recoated professionaly I'd be inclined to take it back as a proper job shouldnt really fail.
Ive an 07 Golf 5 door in Metallic Grey and the factory topcoat is perfect.
I had a small scrape to the NSR wheel arch in 2011 and the bodyshop did a fill and basecoat to the arch and flatted back and relaquered the full panel as its small and the panel breaks made it easier than blending. After ten and a, half years it still looks perfect.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had it recoated professionaly I'd be inclined to take it back as a proper job shouldnt really fail.
Ive an 07 Golf 5 door in Metallic Grey and the factory topcoat is perfect.
I had a small scrape to the NSR wheel arch in 2011 and the bodyshop did a fill and basecoat to the arch and flatted back and relaquered the full panel as its small and the panel breaks made it easier than blending. After ten and a, half years it still looks perfect.

I'll have a word with my detailer as the ceramic coating was applied July/August 2021. I did notice that there was something funky going on similar to the OP on the right side of the spoiler, it disappeared after my paint correction during the detail mentioned previously. Looks like I'll speak to both my detailer and the local bodyshop so I can get two opinions. I'm under no illusion that if I want this fixed good and proper I'll have to fork out and get the spoiler completely repainted, it's an original not an aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oxidation appears as a chalky residue on the surface of your car. It can give the paint a dusty or milky look. Sometimes the color is faded as well. Oxidation occurs as a result of your car's paint being exposed to the elements and it doesn't come off in a car wash. The most common suggestion for fixing your milky clear coat is wet sanding it several times then reapplying the clear coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts