Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the score with these guys?

Where do they fit in the cleaning process?

Which is best?

Techniques for use?

How do you know when you need to use them?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Whats the score with these guys?

Where do they fit in the cleaning process?

Which is best?

Techniques for use?

How do you know when you need to use them?
I use my p21 pre wax cleanser in place of polish.. or if i've clayed I might use it before the polish.. so clay, cleanse (if the paintwork is really grubby and you think it might benefit from it), polish and then wax.. but for a normal wash, i'd use it in place of the polish. I was told by someone who sells car detailing stuff that that would be alright too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I use my p21 pre wax cleanser in place of polish.. or if i've clayed I might use it before the polish.. so clay, cleanse (if the paintwork is really grubby and you think it might benefit from it), polish and then wax.. but for a normal wash, i'd use it in place of the polish. I was told by someone who sells car detailing stuff that that would be alright too.
Dan,

Is the P21 cleanser any good???

cheers

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Dan,

Is the P21 cleanser any good???

cheers
As jace so eloquently put it.. it certainly is ! I'll bring it with me on sunday if ya like.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That'll be cool.

Will have probably ordered some by then tho.

Because of comments from you and Jace, i must have spent well over ?100 in the last couple of weeks on car cleaning gear.

But, the shine on the ole girl makes it all worth while.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about megs "Cleaner Wax"? liquid i would prefer, but they do a paste.......whts this stuff like compared to the P21S?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Megs Cleaner Wax is apparently now very nice to use and very very smelly.....according to someone I spoke to at Inters that sold it....[:-*]

Better off using the P21s cleaner or the Swissol Paint Cleaner Fluid, the latter which is available in different strengths as well [:D]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
what about megs "Cleaner Wax"? liquid i would prefer, but they do a paste.......whts this stuff like compared to the P21S?
I think cleaner wax is sort of a combination of the cleaner and the wax all in one step. I'd rather do it seperately.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so P21S paint cleanser it is then i guess?

so i would......

wash......

rinse......

dry......

claybar?....

wash.....

rinse.....

dry......

paint cleanser......

gold class.....

or am i wrong here?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think cleaner wax is sort of a combination of the cleaner and the wax all in one step. I'd rather do it seperately.
actually, if it cleans and waxes, then surely it seals the dirt back in?

·
Registered
412 Posts
you should only need to clay bar and use the P21S paint cleaner twice a year or so... it'll bring back the depth and clarity to your paint

I've found on a black car prep the surface as above then seal it with a couple of coats of P21s wax and thats about all you need, regular washing and topping up the wax every few weeks will keep it looking good but layering different stuff tends to cloud it a bit imo

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
so P21S paint cleanser it is then i guess?

so i would......

wash......

rinse......

dry......

claybar?....

wash.....

rinse.....

dry......

paint cleanser......

gold class.....

or am i wrong here?
This is what I would do..

Wash....

Rinse....

Claybar....

Rinse (where needed).....

Dry....

Paint cleanser....

Wax / Gold Class.....

Smoke cigar, drink beer and feel smug with yourself for such a gleaming car....

Take it out for a good burn.... [:D]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you should only need to clay bar and use the P21S paint cleaner twice a year or so... it'll bring back the depth and clarity to your paint I've found on a black car prep the surface as above then seal it with a couple of coats of P21s wax and thats about all you need, regular washing and topping up the wax every few weeks will keep it looking good but layering different stuff tends to cloud it a bit imo
i'm going to use claybar possibly, but defo the paint cleanser, then gold class......

is that "layering different stuff"??

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You really only need to use a Clay Bar once or twice a year, not every time you clean the car.

There seems to be this fascination with Claying the car all the time, its not needed [:|]

However, saying that, there is a new Sonus clay bar available for those who must Clay the paint alot, its not quite as agressive as the regular stuff, speak to Mr Whittle about them, ?10 If I remember correct.

I last Clayed my car just before the JBS RR day in April, I've done 15k since, so its about time milage wise to give it another going over, I've already got one of these new sonus Clay Bar "Lite" & will be trying it out over the weekend.....look out for a write up some time next week

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
please note.......

i am YET to claybar my car for the first time......so no fear!!!!!

i just thought a paint cleanser would be "milder" than using a clay bar.....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
i am YET to claybar my car for the first time......so no fear!!!!!
If thats the case then, Go For It !!!

You will be amazed with the results & the shine.

I suggest the following then...........

Wash

Clay

P21S Cleanser

NXT Wax

P21S Carnba wax

Dark Sunglasses

Dont bother to wash after the Claying, the P21S Cleanser will get rid of any residue, its just extra time waisted if you wash again.

Take some before & after pictures when you do, you'll be amazed at the shine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts