Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is only my second post here but i'm doing some stuff to my long suffering 1.8T in the next few weeks so i thought i'd do a mini build thread.....

I've had my Golf almost 2 years now and apart from maintenance stuff and a wheel refurb it pretty much looks the same as it did when i bought it. I swore after my last build i'd never do another but you know how it is......if its in you its in you [^o)]

Anyway, rather than throw stupid cash at a 2 grand car i've set myself a budget of around a grand to do the lot.......

This is my girl on the day i picked her up in Sept '09.......

Posted Image

Coilovers.....the shabbiest set of RS8 wheels you can imagine (Pic doesnt show the horrendous corrosion.....why do they do that!!) and a bastardised powerflow ss exhaust with wonky tailpipes....she was a BEAUT!

Was gonna be a smokeabout while i looked for something 'Proper' but as i've found from previous experience Golfs grow on you like a rash so after a while i bit the bullet and stuck my own plate on her and treated the shabby hoops to a coat of gunmetal paint......

Posted Image

And thats how she looks to this day......give or take an inch of road grime and birdcrap.

I've been chasing all the bits i wanna fit for the last few weeks and have got most of them delivered now.....

A Polish one of these:

Posted Image

And these:

Posted Image

Both dirt cheap ABS plastic ones from Poland but surprisingly good fit and quality i was happy to find on test fitting!

What else......

A German one of these (Cue groans.... lol):

Posted Image

Not a popular choice i'll bet, but i like it so........[:D] Again the quality of it is awesome given how cheap it was! Few issues to sort with the supplier though as it got damaged in transit....nothing that cant be fixed but i want some cash back for my plastic welding troubles lol Between this and the RS8's i'm gonna christen my build the Au-Dub hahaha

One of these:

Posted Image

And a pair of these:

Posted Image

One of which has yet to turn up......gotta chase that up now i think about it!!

and lastly (and i'm not sure about fitting it yet....thought it might look well with the bumper....opinions?) this:

Posted Image

Still looking for a cheapish set of black anni style projectors but i HATE angel eyes and DRL's with a passion i usually reserve for kebabs and Jamie Oliver........is it possible to get them with just normal lights without having to Joey mod them?? Not too much to ask surely.......

My background is aircooled dubs, so i'm going for a california look beetle kinda paint scheme......gunmetal over silver two-tone with a pinstriped waistline ...... mate of mine is gonna dash the paint on for me at cheap rates, and i'll fit them up with a little help from my friends......

Work starts as soon as i have everything i need in my mates lockup (previous experience has taught me to get everything assembled and on site BEFORE starting work lol) but hopefully in around a fortnight all being well.....

Aiming to have this finished for BugJam as my mate is having his stag weekend there lol He's debut'ing his current project there.....a Nissan 200sx engined RWD Mk1 caddy pickup running a mitsi evo turbo and banging out about 350BHP....its mental! So y'know.....i don't wanna let the side down do i! [:$]

All comments and constructive criticism welcome....obvs :)

Louie

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a bit of a result today! The front bumper i ordered arrived the other day and it looked like it had been kicked from the cargo ramp of a passing Hercules.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

The fact that the box arrived looking that bad didn't exactly fill me with hope for the contents, and sure enough there was some damage....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Few scuffs and one of the bumper mounts hanging off.....nothing that cant be sorted, but not what you'd expect for a new item so i emailed the supplier and sent some pics.......

Heard back from them this afternoon and they're arranging for a replacement to be sent out from Germany at their cost.......and i can keep the damaged one! Gotta love that...Fair play to Mike at RudieMods for sorting it all out.....first class customer service!

Also got a twenty back on the milltek twin exit i got from Ebay....it arrived bent which was down to Royal Mail and not really the sellers fault but he offered to pay for half the cost of getting it straightened out as a good will gesture so all in all not been a bad way to end the week :)

Bumpers and skirts are due to be prepped next week. Still waiting on one of the stubby mirrors to arrive, which is starting to annoy me a bit coz i paid for it a week ago and the other side (from a diff supplier) arrived next day from further away! How is it i can get stuff from the states and europe in less time than it takes a mirror to arrive from effing Bournemouth....an hours drive away??

Found a suitable pinstriping kit today to blend in the two tone paint i'm planning too and its only a fiver.....bargain!

Parts cost to date, now that the bumper is effectively a freebie (once i sell the spare).......£630. Painting should be around £350 coz its a mate doing it :) Leaving me with enough spare cash from my £1000 budget for some magic tree's or something lol

More pics as soon as work starts proper.......

Louie

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This weekends Ebay finds:

Posted Image

Was originally hoping to fit the whole unit, but they're non MFI ones so i'm planning to strip them down and see if i can get the foils to swap into my existing clocks as a first choice, and fit the whole thing as a last resort.

Also got these:

Posted Image

Spoke to the seller a few days back about them and then uhmmed and ahhed over wether to buy them or not. Taken out of an R32 apparently and sitting on MkIV rails so should slot straight in. Full leather and the guy reckons he paid £700 for them six months ago.....i got them for £200 so i've busted my budget but i was planning on a black leather retrim at some point anyway, so i figured snap them up while i can then i only have to get the rears and door cards trimmed.

Paintwork apparently started today on my bumpers and skirts, but no pics coz i'm doing so much OT at work at the mo to pay for it all that i wont get a chance to go over to my mates sprayshop til my next day off......on saturday.....my last one was two weeks ago!!! [|-)]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to dive over the bodyshop on my lunchbreak today :) Bodykit in primer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still got the Lupo mirror caps to paint up but they're going to be done tomorrow all being well. Chose my paint for the darker top half.......wanted a VW colour ideally but nothing in the colour swatch book was close to what i wanted so i went for Honda Dolphin Grey Metallic which should give a nice contrast.

Getting quite excited now its all starting to happen :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, should look nice when its all fitted up. Had a picture in my mind of what i wanted it to look like, but until last month i didn't have the cash to make a start on it - i didn't want to have to hang about with it, doing a bit here and a bit there.....prefer to wait until i can get everything at once then bang it all on lol No patience at all....should see me at christmas! hahaha

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
oo...nice start buddy!!

I saw that front bumper a few days back...Looks good in a way!! Its Different, cant wait to see it on though [y]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah its a bit different.....i thought about an R32 rep one but there are already several around the area i live and i wanted something slightly unusual anyway. I spent over an hour on google images looking for a pic of one fitted......no joy though - closest i could find was the green/black Mattig demo car but the one on that is similar in style but a more aggressive version. Thought i'd take a punt on it looking ok....it'll either look well or it wont i guess. If it looks pap i'll swap it out for something else. Thing is i've got the replacement one on its way from germany so if i hate it i'm gonna have two of the things to trip over in my garage lol

The skirts were from SMK tuning in Poland......got them through Ebay but they have a website too. Cant fault them for the money...they were 89 quid i think and the fit and quality is actually pretty outstanding for such a small outlay :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well apparently my plastics are all shiny and silver now....Yay!

The problem is that after my 13th 12h day of working in a row i made the rookie mistake of actually sitting down when i got home, and am now finding it really hard to get motivated enough to go and pick them up/fit them....... Hard times! lol

My mate now has another car booked in so i wont be getting the rest of the car done until after he's finished that one......feck! In a rare act of charity i donated my standard rear bumper to a mate because he needed a good one for a golf 4mo he's selling - my golf is now sporting a beat to blazes rear with a missing valance. I did this because i thought i would have my golf all stush by next week....... not to be, so i will be driving round in something resembling an old nail for a while by the looks of things [:(]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Budget build? I wish I had your budget mate lol.

I like the look of the front bumper, get some pics up as soon as it's on the car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol! Really? Every other build i've done has cost a small fortune......This ones gonna stand me in at less in total than the interior of my last one cost....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All relative i guess - i thought this was working out pretty cheap considering [:$]

Well i managed to drag my lazy ass over to pick up my skirts etc....no pics coz it was dark by the time i got there. Gonna try and fit them up over the coming weekend if i get time....pics to follow.

My Bora sport clocks arrived this morning....lovely!

Whipped mine out of the car and had a look at them and realised something....

Mine:

Posted Image

Posted Image

New ones:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Posted Image

Spot the problem?

The new ones are VDO and the old ones are Bosch/Motometer.......

Hate to see them go to waste so i got cracking with some ghetto-modding......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basically cut the foils to fit the old clocks, which was toooooooo fiddly.....then realised the casings weren't interchangeable either so cut away the obstructing mouldings until the old clocks fit in the new casing........put it all back together and:

Posted Image

Sorted! :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok......Cancel the seats [^o)]

Despite me saying from the off that i wanted to collect them rather than risk another courier based catastrophe the seller has decided that a week (the soonest i have a free day) is too long to have to wait for me to be able to go to London to pick them up so he's gonna 2nd chance offer them to the only other bidder lol Ah well......

1 - 20 of 310 Posts