Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the green light from the finance company for the new car this afternoon [:D]

Soooo....

Im actively looking for a new car now, but would like some thoughts on what i should push for as a part-ex price. The car is a 1998 S, Sating Silver Golf 5dr 1.6s, just about to hit 60k, fvwsh, recently serviced. Will probably have Monty II's when i sell it, along with gti tail lamps, vw sports suspension (eibachs [:p]), bora sport seats. Car is in fine mechanical and exterior condition for its age.

Im thinking if i can push for somewhere around £5250 for a part-ex (on a car worth about £9-10k).. would this seem reasonable? Also, should i remove the likes of the tails, wheels (put the steelies back on), and sell them seperately? Would i likely make myself more money that way?

I've seen this 1.8T that im interested in...

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=51755151

Volkswagen Golf 1.8 T , 1999 T Reg , Gunmetal Grey, 33,000 miles , 3 Doors. 17" light alloy wheels, airbag double + side, Recaro interior, CD PLAYER, climate control, electric sunroof.

Seems very nicely specced, and decently priced. Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated gents! [^]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Congrats on the go ahead mate [8D]

You know I have said before that I doubt if leaving the wheels etc will make the car much more valuable for a p/ex. Wont most dealers look at what the car is regardless of what is on it. Prepared to be corrected though

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would personaly aim a little higher for a px price.

As standard the car is worth £5000, With the mods that you have done it would apeal to a GTi Wanna be with out the high insurance.

Im sure ive seen a photo of the car before, but sling one up so we can have a look.

If you have the Gti wheels on it i would leave them on, they will help it look a lot better in the eyes of the garage you are trying to sell to.

If youve got Bigger than the GTi wheels on it, find a set of Montys for it.

Px i would aim for £5700 - £5500 Its worth another £1000 (over retail)on the forecourt, just for looking like a GTi

Lets have a look at her !

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that Wish [:)]

Shall have to try when bargaining then..... im usually a bit of a pushover when it comes to stuff like this.

Here's a couple of pics of the car.... not the newest, ive lost a load somewhere, but it gives an idea i guess.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
782 Posts
Audi Wheels off, VW GTi ones on ! and away you go !

That's a good looking lookalike, you will sell that easily, what about having a go privately ??

There are many people out there that car will appeal too, Its an Insurance friendly motor.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Great choice of colour [:D] I'd verifiy the mileage as I said before. Still think the price is a little high, even considering the low mileage

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Found that grey one on the VW used site...

Grey GTI

nice car but that dealer seems to have pretty high prices - hes got a 1999 Bora 1.6SE there for £7,495...mines at a dealer in Devon for £5,995 and its got 10k less on the clock, solid not loopy headrests and alloy wheels. Rip off if you ask me, maybe the GTI is similarly overpriced at £10k? Golfs are not by area of expertise [;)]

Lovely colour though, and it has Recaros!

EDIT: Found a few W reg ones for the same money

Blue One, 60k

Silver One , 57k

Black One, 36k

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Is that the same one Chris, I thought you said it was in Harrogate?

Edit: Mike's removed it so you won't know what i'm on about! I think it's a different one Mike.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
That one posted above is way over-priced, even for a dealer. It doesn't look to have a/c either. Mmmm, but it's anthracite [:D]

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Chris, there's a nice one at my dealers, Richard Alexander in Huddersfield, it has the full Votex bodykit and is a T/V plate. I'm going in the morning so will check the price. It might even be Pat's old one, looks very similar

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the responses lads [:D]

Wish..... i dont think i have the patience for a private sale mate..... im one of these people who when he has the money, has to get the new car/toy/whatever as soon as humanly possible! lol

Would love one with the Votex kit..... but i have to park up on a kerbed path outside the house, so i guess i might catch it [:(]

The earliest i would go would be a T plate, must have less than 50k on it (below 40 preferably), 3dr, either climate or a/c is a must too. Colour wise, i cant quite make my mind up... Anthracite is my number one... followed by Black and Indigo.

By the way Mike... i cant link to any of the ones you posted on the VW sites, it just takes me straight to the search screen... [:(]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I cant believe they would sell a GTI without air con!! All Boras have at least manual, even the S spec. How odd

Yeah the links dont seem to work now sorry mate. If you use the search, they should come up but the muppets dont say if they have Recaros or not and its hard to tell from the pictures. The Indigo one had 60k on it so probably too high...the black one with 36k looks interesting. But it would be so cool to find a grey one [;)]. Is 10k your limit? As I think loads more start to appear at the £10.5k mark (which you might be able to negotiate down at this time of year anyway?)

EDIT: Autotrader has lots....some are private sales, can you buy that way? Hassle of a private sale yourself I know, for £10k....

-------------------

2000 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI 1.8T 150 BHP

W reg Silver,1 lady owner, VW FSH, votex bodykit, leather Recaro H/Seats, Air Con, sunroof, cruise control,CD, WP, immaculate. 56000 miles. £10250 .

Tel: 07890 276685 or 01785 661814

Price: £10,250

-------------------

2000 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTi 1.8 TURBO

(150) 3DR, 2000, W reg. 31000 miles, diamond black, black Recaro, air con, Montreal alloys, abs, pas, rds stereo, e/w, c/l, immobiliser, cd. £9,995 . S White Golfs. [email protected]

S White Cars

Tel: (01494) 714417 or (07775) 771166

Price: £9,995

-------------------

2000 Volkswagen Golf GTi 1.8 Turbo,

2000, W reg. 15000 miles, 3-door, silver, Recaros, trip computer, fVsh, big bore exhaust, rear spoiler, garaged, only used weekends, pristine condition. £9,995 . ono.

Tel: (01273) 580940 or (07985) 451555

Price: £9,995 ono.

--------------------

2000 Volkswagen Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo

180bhp, 2000, W reg. 33000 miles, met Indigo blue factory upgrade black leather Recaro htd seats, a/c, 16 factory upgrade BBS a/w, fVAGsh, pas, dash computer, a/bags, tax, MoT 06/04, Sony CD, just fully serviced, exc con, alarm, immob,first to drive will buy. £10,000 . or (07974) 565515.

Tel: (01424) 447579 or (0845) 6443243

Price: £10,000

-------------------

·
Registered
737 Posts
That last car seems interesting as the 180bhp model wasn't available new until September last year. Either the car is chipped(why no mention in ad) or the owner doesn't know the power output of his engine.

i looked at the grey 3 door car; unusual spec for a 99T(same age as mine).

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Few that ive found on Autotrader....

2000 W Reg Volkswagen Golf 1.8 GTi T

Petrol, Manual 5 speed, Anthracite Grey Metallic, Hatchback, 34,000 miles , 3 Doors. 16" light alloy wheels, ABS, airbag double, armrest, boardcomputer, central doorlocks, chairs adjustable in height, electric sunroof, immobiliser, mirrors electric and heated, power steering, radio/cassette, steering wheel adjustable in height, windows front electric.

£9,995.

00(X) VW GOLF 1.8 T GTI MK4,

5 door, Hatchback, Indigo Blue, 45000 miles, Anti-lock Brakes,Twin/side Airbags,Manual Air Conditioning,Alarm,Alloy Wheels,Remote Central Locking,Computer,Electric Windows,3 Rear Head Restraints & 3 Point Belts,Power Steering,Radio/cassette,Service History,Electric Sunroof,Single CD,Front Fog Lamps

£9995.

00(W) VW GOLF 1.8 T GTi 3dr 1.8 Litre engine,

3 door, Hatchback, 48356 miles, ABS,Adjustable seats,Adjustable steering column/wheel,Air conditioning,Alloy wheels,Anti theft system,CD,Central locking,Driver airbag,Electric mirrors,Electric windows,Passenger airbag,Power assisted steering,Radio,Remote locking,Tinted glass

£9799.

1999 T Reg Volkswagen Golf 1.8 GTi T

Petrol, Manual 5 speed, Dolphin Grey, Hatchback, 44,000 miles , 5 Doors. Hifi, ABS, AC, climate control, Alloys, airbag double + side, FSH, sport chairs, wooden inlay. REDUCEDTO CLEAR!!1st to see will buy

£8,695.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Dolphin grey? Sounds fishy [:D]

Don't forget if you are going for a 99/00 model that the 00 models were DBW.

The top one looks good

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So when exactly did they change then? Was it when the 'X' plate ones came out mid 2000? My understanding is that when the model changed, it changed..

Recaro's for standard sport seats (boo!)

Introduction of ASR/ESP etc

DBW replaced non-DBW

I want the earlier model really..... want the recaro's, found the non-cable throttle odd and vague... but i would like some form of ASR etc (not that im soft or anything!! lol)

The 1st one does look good, you're right...... looking back, i think that was a VW dealer too.......

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bugger, first one doesnt have a/c tho [:(]

I think you can nicely get away with a 5dr on a dark colour to be honest...... i think lighter colours such as Silver/Jazz Blue/Red suit a 3dr more... so im gonna look for 5dr's now too.

God, changing my mind by the hour now!! lol

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 5drs

Up until my last golf, They were all 5drs. I only had the 3dr because you couldnt get the anni as a 5dr.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts