Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Oxford's never ending next car thread. DECISION!!!

3K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  oxford 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

As some of you know I have posted many times about which car I am considering to buy!!

My shortlist was:

Mini Cooper S (my heart was set on one, and was VERY close to buying one around christmas but now I am beginning to wonder)

New Golf GTI (just too expensive and too darn new!)

A3 2.0 FSI tuRbo QTR (too expensive again)

Realistically I only want to spend around 13k on my next car, still plenty of time left for a new car, so should be able to get a decent amount of car for that money.

Here are some details about me:

Current car: V reg 2.0 GTI 127,000 miles [:)] - need something with more power and newer

Travel: Trips to Norwich every other weekend (120 mile round trip) and trip to Oxford every month or so. 13 mile drive to work. No travel requirements at work.

Girlfriend: She loves the mini and wants me to get one and says that the golf if "boring" lol

Anyway, now to the point of this thread!

I have to say that I am very interested in looking into the possibility of the Seat Leon Cupra R (all black of course) and have found them to be very reasonalably priced in the 2nd hand car market with just awesome power!!!

As posted on another thread here is one on a 53 plate going for ?10,700 and is remapped to 265BHP!!!!!! - oh my days...

Posted Image

Comes with all the mods I could ever need (other than the MK5 rear wiper) and is still VAG.. However, would I loose stacks of money on it? Insurance must be horrific @ group 17? Drink fuel? what else should I worry about?

So what do you guys think?

- need a test drive of a new one first, hopefully next week.

Hope "darren" does not mind m,e posting his car!

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have driven ALL the cars on the shortlist now and have been impressed with them all.

Drove the LCR today and was blown away by the performance and the car. I was raced by a cosworth on a long stretch and smoked him, with the SEAT guy in it! - he enjoyed it! lol

Anyway my concerns were:

- The leon is due to change (6 years old)

- Old Audi A3 interior looking slightly dated now

- Engine is AMAZING, but will be soon superceeded.

Basically if I wanted a quick fix this would be the car. However I am in this for the long run and want to own the next car for at least 3 years or more!!

Therefore I have made a decision.

I am going to get a MK5 3rd GTI in black in the standard package - with possibly a few light extras (non metallic black, comes up better [;)]). May be persuaded with the 18"s.

In order to achieve this its going to take car and I doubt I will be able to stretch to a new one at 20k - perhaps a ex demo, nearly new etc etc. Therefore I am going to be prepared to wait for it. I am due a work promotion mid year which will make things better and I am hoping to get one before the year is out. I now have a big goal to work towards and I am now glad I have made up my mind.

Deep down I always new the new GTI was for me since I saw the very first design shots, the test drive and your reactions to it confirmed that for me. Its a new car and the resudials are going to be much better, drives and goes like stink!. Funny how you stick to what you like eh? [:D]

Going to have to take out the GF on a test drive because she still thinks it looks dull! lol

All I can say is that VW better not annoying me like the tend to do otherwise I will get something else like an A3. When I test drove the A3 they just gave me the keys and said "see you in an hour" 2.0 T FSI [8D] - nice but too understated.

- would like to thank you for your comments and to Darren for being helpful! good luck with the sale mate.

See less See more
#3 ·
I could get another MK 4 but I dont really want one [:(]

A fast TDI is an option and they are great, but I want to enjoy petrol for a little longer...

Works cooper is an options also as I can get the kit at cost price... but I am still not sure.

#4 ·
That's definatly the sporty choice in the VAG range!

Looks awesome in that colour/spec (as u already know david!)

MPG wise(rempped), I'd reckon u'd be looking at 20-22mpg around town and atleast 30mpg on the motorway

U going for a test drive?

#5 ·
Hi Jason, always appreciate an opinion from a beast owner [:)]

Do you think without the remapping the MGP would be much better?

Hopefully will go for a test drive at a dealers in the next week or so!! may ring them and book it.

Trouble is I think I would clean it too much... Need help! Lol

#6 ·
I was going to suggest a Golf PD engine (of course!).

The car is yours, even if girlfriend thinks it boring (what does she know about dirty torquey diesels anyway?! [:p]) but really you should get what you like unless girlfriend is going to chip in to help pay for new Mini!

The Seat is a good choice giving a good BHP/cost ratio, and you're sensible doing sums to see how much it will cost you each week... but then a PD diesel is a sensible car too [;)]

GTi Fly is right, test drive and see how you feel.

#7 ·
After remapping my Anni, I found that the MPG was more or less the same.

It all comes down to your driving style [;)]

If u drive it HARD then yes, the fuel consumption is gonna be a tad worse than standard MPG figures.

Drive it gently on the motorway, and you may actually find the fuel consumption is BETTER as the engine is running more efficiently..

Ohh and Black's definatly you [;)]

#8 ·
Your right, its would be all mine... She is not going to chip in, she is a student and cant drive yet! [:)] bless her [;)]

I agree with you about running costs, but I cant imagine it to be too much worse that what I am getting out of my golf at the moment.

Will ring up the garage today and see what they say! and an insurance company! lol

BLACK rules for me! [:)]

I dont drive it really hard, only on the odd occation when I want some fun. Other than that I am a bit lame and VERY safe and always hang back! [:)]

#9 ·
Quote: posted by oxford on 16/02/2005 12:00:08

Insurance must be horrific @ group 17? Drink fuel? what else should I worry about?

Not necessarily. Mines group 17, Im 22 and I pay ?630FC mods declared....

Always like LCRs in black - and it has the wheels you want [;)]

#10 ·
Been looking at LCRs too, but unless I am mistaken, you cannot get a leather option on them? There are optional recaros, but they aint leather as far as I can see, and there is not leather option on the LCR, only the FR?

As for residuals, its lost most of what its gunna, a 2 yr old one for 10k is good. In three years surely its still gotta be worth near to 5k??

#11 ·
Thanks Mike, will ring churchill in a bit! [:)]

You get a good deal there [;)]

simch: not sure about the leather, not something I would really want anyway! I would say after 3 years thats a good estimate! - may be worth some serious thought after a test drive!

#15 ·
Quote: posted by oxford on 16/02/2005 13:58:23

Churchill :

Cannot proceed with this quote as it is a "termed" vehicle IE we will not insure anyone under the age of 30! lol

Greenlight, Brentcare, Adrian Flux....and if you plan to keep it largely mod free, go to Direct Line and Egg. The latter offered me ?510 FC but I couldn't take it because of their no mods under 25 policy...

#17 ·
i'm sure the LCR would put a smile on your face everytime you drove it. I personally think you are sensible going for a 'nearly new' car, rather than a brand new MCS or similar.

Your best bet is to buy a modded one as above (although it's a 52 reg), as your not paying for the outlay of the mods.

I know the 2.0 8v isn't particularly thirsty, but budget for quite a bit more petrol. I assume the LCR would prefer Optimax too. Oh & budget for those 18" F1 GSD3's as well.

#18 ·
It was running costs that made me decide not to get the LCR overall. Discs and pads only seem to last upto 20k, and thats big money replacements. Couple with that the tyre costs (as 02 Bora has said), the insurance etc... and you have to decide for yourself mate.

Fantastic cars though, i would advise you to go look at both that and the standard Cupra and drive both. I did numerous times and just thought that the Cupra was more my kind of car for day to day stuff. Sure, the R is more focussed and hardcore, but you pay for that.

Either way, you can get both for really good money now..... good 2yr old LCR's are going for ?12k, and you can get some bargain Cupra's fully specced up for just over ?10k.

Leather is an option on the Cupra, not available on the LCR (cloth recaro's a ?1200 option). I average about 23-24 around town in my Cupra, and about 34 on the motorway.

#20 ·
yeah, 18" tyres, expensive pads and discs... But I think these would be expenses I will have with the next car anyway (if chosen from my list).

The petrol would be a concern, but hopefully my work situation will improve to help me absorb it!

nearly new has to be the way.. I would love a new car, but really cant justify it right at this point in time.

The cupras really do seem good value for money - I will try to get a drive in both Chris.

Thanks for your comments guys, it really helps.

#22 ·
Hi Mate,

No probs with using the picture. Could you blank the reg though?

If you want a full breakdown on running costs I have a detailed list.

I have the penny's to buy a brand new car but after 3 new cars in a row. I won't be doing it again!

Make sure you go and get a test drive. Even if you don't go for mine I think you will want one after a test drive.

#24 ·
Oxford,

Have you considered the Cupra Leon instead of the R? I was very tempted to part out my R for one of these just before I got married. Basically I wanted a cheaper car to run as I was going to buy another house to rent out and funds where going to be stretched with the wedding/honeymoon and new house.

I test drove both the Cupra and the R and thought the Cupra was better value for money. I know the Cupra R is tuneable to a igher degree but the 180 engine can still be taken quite a way.

As you know I'm not a fan of the mini but if you don;t do too many miles it might be the ideal car for you.

J.

#25 ·
I will consider both J and perhaps test drive them both too.

Its good to make this decisions, but it is something I will take my time over because its a biggy! [:)]

The golf is still outside in the car park so nothing done yet [:)]

Its fun test driving anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.