Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Gave my car some serious cleaning today and with a bad back I may add! Had a rough week with the kerbing and then the wiper motor going, but all fixed now!

My routine today around 5 hours:

Mc2 the wheels, then cleaned with PoorBoys World Shampoo.

Washed the car with pure water to get the grime off.

Washed whole car with Poorboys Shampoo.

Clay bar'd all paint work.

Washed car again.

Dried it.

Scratch X'd the whole car, had some nasty scrathes which are now less visable.

(buffed off)

Clearkote Hand Glazed the whole car including windows.

(Buffed off)

Clearkote Cab wax all paint panels.

(Buffed off)

Tyre dressing and dressed the plastics.

So here are the pics! - sorry some of them are rather large. You would be impressed if you touched it...

A desktop perhaps?

Posted Image

My moody car:

Posted Image

Jons / Zugans V6 in the background:

Posted Image

Smooth as hell:

Posted Image

Go on, touch it!

Posted Image

As some of you know, I am holding on to this car for another 6 months or so till I am in a position to decide what I want next and the New GTI looks the best bet at the moment (3dr in black of course [;)])

Also, please remember this car has done 127,000 miles!!

Oxford

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Sweeet man!! And on a dday like this!! DID you manage to get it indoors, or was it brass monkey work!

I washed mine up with a bit of hotwax the other day and was amazed how well it came up. I have 100k on it, all original paint too! Come spring it will have a "birthday". Should do for another year then, LOL!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Makes it worth the while when people give comments like this.

When you get up very close withoutall the wax on it you can see part of the impact 100k+ miles has on it, however the previous owner had looked after it like I have which is why it still comes up nice.

I really will miss this car when it comes to selling it, as I think we all get very attached to our Mk4s! they really are cracking cars, all of them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good job Oxford old boy, im sure many a member wishes their "considerably less milage than yawwww" golf looked as ship shape as yours.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Certainly was cold outside, but I was wrapped up and when your polishing that much it is supprising how much energy you burn... I need a banana!

I know what you mean about birthday, I felt a bit sorry for mine because I kerbed the hello out of the wheel here is the pic:

Posted Image

So on Saturday I spent pretty much all day sanding, spraying, filling and claybarring the wheel. This is the result:

Posted Image

I am pretty happy with it really, although there are some lines where I taped around the area when I base coated it, bit of a mistake because it left a line, however I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get all my wax from www.seriousperformance.co.uk , they give 10% to UKMKIV members.

the hand glaze is around 10 pounds, the cab wax around 15-16 I think.... Lasts forever.

My essentail list for any car cleaner is:

Claybar

Microfibre towel (1 premium and one normal)

Hydroflex thingy

Clearkote hand glaze (or similar)

Clearkote Cab wax (or similar)

and some decent shampoo that wont strip that wax off ! (poorboys is good)

All that will set you back around 50 pounds but it will last you all year and you will be amazed what it can do!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 16/01/2005 16:43:03

Smooth as hell:

Posted Image

My face when I saw the smoothness of that panel and the colours ----> [:O]

SUPERB picture mate.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks well smooth! i have some scratch's too i need to get rid off where can i buy this scratch x stuff? top job on the wheel mate 10/10.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest mate the scratch X stuff does work but it does not create mirracles... And the hand glaze and wax both help to mask the scratches, however you will get good results, but remember to lock it in with some wax after! [:)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
[:O] Blimey [:O]

Thats a shiney car if I've ever seen one, top job.[8D]

Hope mine looks as good after I put the Clearkote on, & with that many miles under her too.[^]

(Note to self: Go round to oxfords house with a bucket of dirty water)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts