Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Own up! Who stuck a "GT" next to the "TDi" on the back of their Golf?

5K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  john f 
#1 ·
Come on - I see at least 5 of these every day. A MK IV Golf TDi with a GT badge stuck in front of it. Trust me, it looks pathetic. If you could at least agree on the spacing between the letters then maybe it would look factory fit. Instead it just looks sad.

One question.

Why?

#5 ·
Come on - I see at least 5 of these every day. A MK IV Golf TDi with a GT badge stuck in front of it. Trust me, it looks pathetic. If you could at least agree on the spacing between the letters then maybe it would look factory fit. Instead it just looks sad.

One question.

Why?
I agree, save the GTI for those who actually drive a 'GTI' not those who like to think they do !!! But save on the juice!! A TDI is a 'TDI' and a 'GTI' is a GTI and lets keep it that way.

#10 ·
Why not? Some of them came like that from the factory. They are after all GT TDi model and spec cars. I dont see 100PS after the 1.6 or 240PS after the R32 badge so what is your point?

Personally, I like seeing the cars badged as GT TDi but I agree that they should be spaced as GT TDI as per the ones done like that from new by VW from the factory.

Look here to see other peoples feelings on this.

#11 ·
I agree, save the GTI for those who actually drive a 'GTI' not those who like to think they do !!! But save on the juice!! A TDI is a 'TDI' and a 'GTI' is a GTI and lets keep it that way.
So all you dirty diesel Anniversary owners had better replace your GTI badges for TDI [:D]
Ha ! Ha! Well said !! ;-) Stop polluting the atmosphere with your smoke too !!! Diesel - Anniversary, my arrrse !!!

#12 ·
Why not? Some of them came like that from the factory.
Bet they didnt[:)]

Every Golf you see with "GT TDI" badge on the back it has been put on by the owner or the dealer who sold it

VW never badge any Golfs as "GT TDI"

"GT" just stands for the trim level, you also get "S" & "SE" trim level..........doubt anyone would put a badge on that says "S TDI"[N]

#14 ·
Why not? Some of them came like that from the factory.
Bet they didnt[:)]

Every Golf you see with "GT TDI" badge on the back it has been put on by the owner or the dealer who sold it

VW never badge any Golfs as "GT TDI"

"GT" just stands for the trim level, you also get "S" & "SE" trim level..........doubt anyone would put a badge on that says "S TDI"[N]
Thing is that there are some cars with GT TDI that obviously did start from like new like that. VW did it regardless of whether it was the production line or stealer.

Agreed about GT being a trim level, but it also dictated engines, gearboxes suspension, exhausts, clutches, wiring loom etc etc etc. As I recall, the 110/115/130/150 only came in GT trim so basically the shell and bare chassis of the car was the same between the E/S/SE and GT models but the rest was different.

To have a GT badge in fron of TDI on a GT TDI is more than ok as that is the car it is. To put a GTI badge on a non 150PD diesel MKIV would be wrong however.

#16 ·
I have seen a guy with a Ford Focus in Fraserburgh with a 16v badge off a Rover on the rear of his car and an old 5 speed badge from an old SAAB on the other side.

I have seen a Passat and a Bora badged as GT TDI (totally wrong as they never made those cars in that trim/spec).

I love seeing Q cars though and people who badge cars down to give others a huge surprise when it comes to the lights! I remember the old "1.2L" Nova that smoked me at the lights in my Passat. It had a 2litre Turbo engine in it! Lol!

#18 ·
I think i can top it all! when i went to pick up my golf i saw a white cavalier with type R badges on it. i never knew they made one of those??

I don't like the look of the GT TDI badged golfs it clutters the rear up to much, but i think i have the answer, why not put the GT part on the grill, shaq sells a badge that will clip in similar to the gti one, so you've got TDI on the rear and GT on the front.

#19 ·
So whats the problem with showing that some TDI's have the GT trim and
not the standard trim. Because thats all it is. Majority of TDI's come
out with basic trim but you have the odd "sporty" TDI which will then
have GT TDI!!!!!! Not hard to get your head round really. Don't you
remember seeing the adverts for the GTI diesel??????? Well thats a GT
TDI [:O]

#20 ·
I think i can top it all! when i went to pick up my golf i saw a white cavalier with type R badges on it. i never knew they made one of those??I don't like the look of the GT TDI badged golfs it clutters the rear up to much, but i think i have the answer, why not put the GT part on the grill, shaq sells a badge that will clip in similar to the gti one, so you've got TDI on the rear and GT on the front.
neat little idea rippo[Y]

#21 ·
So whats the problem with showing that some TDI's have the GT trim and not the standard trim. Because thats all it is. Majority of TDI's come out with basic trim but you have the odd "sporty" TDI which will then have GT TDI!!!!!! Not hard to get your head round really. Don't you remember seeing the adverts for the GTI diesel??????? Well thats a GT TDI [:O]
well said i remember the adverts even vw called the GT TDI's GTI's they even used one as a rally car iirc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.