Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.6 se 1999

I've just replaced the thermostat, the pipe coming off of it is cold but i took it off after the engine was running and the water burnt me (is this a special pipe)

What could be stopping the fan from not working and the heating in my car not to work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i had a similar problem on my polo.
i replaced the thermostat on mine, when the thermostat gets hot i believe wax insides expands and this pushes it open to allow water to flow around the engines cooling system. This is so that the engine can get up to temp quickly with no cooing liquid flow (thermostat closed) and then cool when thermostat opens.
Assuming the thermostat is working correctly at around normal engine temp a tube coming out of the termostat housing that was cold to start should then be warm.
Then fan should come on when left on idle. If it doesnt there may be a problem with either a relay or clog in your cooling system or broken fan itself.
you can check to see if your fan works correctly by connecting it to a positive power source. Im not 100% on any more as it may differ from my old car to a golf.
Hopefully someone can shed some more light for you. (might even be as simple as a blown fuse?) ill keep digging in the mean time

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers dude

whats this part

top of the radiator pipe to like a T pipe on that T there a 'sensor'? I would say its a sensor anyway what is this tryed to upload a picture but it wont let me

·
Registered
9 Posts
This happened to my 1.6 se recently, and car began to overheat!! PANIC!

went to the local mechanic and he couldn't figure out the problem so he connected a wire direct from the fan to the battery and my car now runs cold....every mechanic i go to does not know whats wrong?!! [li]

Did you find out what happened to yours?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts