Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you lot get it? I want it. I need it. NOW! Help please. i have milltek, no centre box, straight thru dp. what more can i do!!![V]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really don`t wanna sound like a ricer though. my m8 has a cooper s and that sound lovely, backchats all the time, mine just doesn`t seem to do anything

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Is your car chipped? What size of downpipe do you have? Really the only way to get more noise if you don't plan on changing the turbo is to change the rear silencer for a smaller one. Milltek rear silencers are so big and efficient at drowning out engine noise.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dp is 2.5". i am chipped with 3 bar to. you think it`d be worth getting a custom back box made?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah I think thats the only way you're going to get the noise your after, am assuming you want more of a rumble at idle and a bark like a Evo etc on boost? It wont cost too much to get a custom back box made with a sleeved join, and if you don't like the sound you can always refit the Milltek.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep that the bark i want mate. definately!!!

well for the custom back section its ?200 quid. thats t304 stainless with the choice of tip/backbox that i want. had the centre pipe removed already with a mandrel bent pipe (t304) and that was 90 quid fitted. and they rehung the exhaust at that.

that decent value??

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
?200 seems about the going rate for a custom back silencer section to be honest, but atleast you'll be able to sell your complete Milltek with the centre silencer though.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I thought it made a whorthwhile difference when I did it to mine Gary, the car now has a nice bark, but its not too intrusive when on the motorway etc, its still quite quiet, goes to show how high quality Milltek silencers are.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yer it did make a difference but not quite the sound i want. the exhaust on my mates mini is a little more raspy and pops and backchats to you more. i just want that little bit more then i`ll be happy.

think i`ll get that without it sounding like a nova?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think you should get the sound you want without it sounding too over the top. If you get your custom back box made and find its too loud you can always add a centre silencer later. Also another thing to note is that the more power you have, the louder your exhaust bark will be on WOT under load.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by Mo on 24/01/2005 21:46:07

Loosing the cat would help.

i`ve got no cat dude!! I`m completely big kittenless, lol. i don`t suppose anybody knows wat size backbox i`ll need to get my lovely little barky on wot and a little bit of backchat??

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I had a custom system made by Powerflow and tbh it was abysmal, sounded ok at lower revs but at motorway cruising speeds it was just unbearable (unbelievably boomy), took it back and got them to mod my original Miltek to how i wanted it...

Will all the different boxes and pipes they just couldnt get the nice barking sound (like you) that i wanted...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so would you advise not doing it? the place i`m doing it at actually make the backbox while your there. to the specs you say, i know its not guaranteed but this place aren`t powerflow (i`ve heard some very "ricey" reports on the notes of their exhausts. how much did the powerflow cost?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hmm, well if they are actually going to make the box for you then that sounds ok! These Powerflow guys i used were using what looked like standard boxes off the shelf...

Just a thought but i know Jim at Awesome and I had this conversation months ago and he started off running his Audi TT with the Miltek centre box removed, was still too quiet so he removed ALL the boxes and he says its not too loud, even passes noise regs at the tracks...so thats with just a pipe all the way back...

Might be worth a try...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm. pipe all the way back?? thats insane. i can`t imagine that not being too loud!

i`m gonna ask him to make it fairly loud but not ricey. they also choose how big to roll it etc and the size of the peferated bit they put in. should be good i hope. getting it done on friday morning. hope to get some sound clips up very soon after.

what tailpipe (s) shall i go for on the back box. i was thinking milltek style or milltek style but slash cut ends. what you reakon?>

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Milltek style using the V6 rear valance with slash cut tips would be nice and different. Let us know how you get on, sounds like they'll make a good job.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
thats insane. i can`t imagine that not being too loud!

No, not at all, you have to remember that the Turbo itself absorbs 80% plus of the exhaust sound energy (transformed into heat and rotational energy), you would be surprised...try it at least...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Stewart on 25/01/2005 13:18:23

No, not at all, you have to remember that the Turbo itself absorbs 80% plus of the exhaust sound energy (transformed into heat and rotational energy), you would be surprised...try it at least...

That could be where your difficulty lies - pardon me if I've read this the wrong way but some Mitsi's (definitely the rally cars) have an element of anti-lag built in to their mapping which gives the popping and banging sounds, otherwise the burble/pops/bangs on the overrun is usually due to highlift cams and valve overlap. On turbo cars the sound is quite different as the turbo muffles much of the noise.

As has been suggested either a straight through pipe or perhaps a change to the mapping may give you 'that' sound.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts