Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people i recently fixed a boost leak which was only allowing my car to boost to 1.3bar and drop off to 1bar at 3500rpm but now ive fixed it she is pulling and holding 1.5 bar through the whole rev range which is awsome and so much more powerful, but down side is when i put my foot down in any gear it sounds like its over reving, I.E travelling at 60mph in 5gear then put my foot down dont have to put it flat down and the rev gauge will jump straight to 5000rpm stays there till the car gets to the speed in which i would be travelling at 5000rpm in 5th gear. sounds horrible the engine reving noise but my good it dont half go. anyone got any idea what is causing his or has caused this. Spec of car to help u no what ive done: K04-001 turbo custom K04-001 re-map, 3"downpipe, 2 1/2 straight through exhaust system, fmic, CAI, Bypased N249 valve, silicone intake arm, forge DV, running 236bhp @wheels 248bhp @fly 260ftLb torque. Hope that helps and you understand what i mean. Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like clutch slip to me mate... Are you still on your original clutch, with that extra power yours sounds to me like it's giving up. ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that must admit clutch has felt funny plus when i put it in reverse now she crunshes and first struggles a little now never usd to. and yes on standard clutch has been fine but soon as i fixed boost leak it has gone like this but is bloody fast and fun watching speedo jump 60-80-100 lol but she still pulls like made goesnt struggle. so u reconmend new clutch?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dunno about recommending it mate, I'd get it checked properly first but it certainly sonuds like clutch slip from what you've described... ? alot of guys on here are changing to VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel (to replace the expensive original dual mass flywheel) I will be doing this once funds allow as my clutch is starting to slip a little ?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Yup sounds like time for a new clutch mate. Now you have fixed your boost leak that extra power is too much for the condition of your current clutch.

5th gear foot down from 60 mph would be a good point to test for clutch slip ...... which it seems you have naturally found out how to make your 'over revving' happen.

The more you do this then the faster your clutch will wear out. Try to drive it without slipping untill you fix it.

Im pretty certain your clutch is to blame... however i have read threads where owners have had fluids leak onto their clutch ... causing slip in a good clutch. You would have to look into this but it is the least likelly problem in your case.

With your power fugures you could do with an uprated clutch anyway.

Jay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive spoke to a local tuning company and they say sounds like it might be slipping slightly but they said i shouldn't be getting any acceleration from the car but im getting silly amount of acceleration she used to pull 0-60 in 6.3secs but now pulls 0-60 in 5.5secs gear changes are smooth when moving.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
It wont slip or wont slip as much in 1st 2nd 3rd, once your going into 4th 5th 6th and accelerating from low revs thats when your going to notice it more...... this will slowlly get worse.

Before i changed my clutch last week i had started slipping more often in 3rd gear too.

If i had 2 people or more in my car when i was on the motorway i couldnt accelerate in any gear without it slipping.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st and 2nd r fine i think its the clutch to but even wth full car it still pulls no probem but stil revs high. can u recommend a uprated clutch? 3rd gear revs high when i put foot down but only jumps up to bout 4000rpm hows the best way to find out its defo the clutch? thanks for the imput im greatful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts