Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the dealers have had my car now for 3 weeks and 1 day and still can't diagnose my fault with my fans running constantly on my 01 V5 Golf.

They have now submitted all the details to the actual factory and technical support at VW can't sort it.

I've totally lost my faith in VW now, it's a shame as I thought they were a decent maker of quality cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I've had my car 4 weeks, and to be honest, Im not impressed with the build quality. Mainly the ancilleries (?) Im just waiting for something to drop off or stop working!

The thing is, I love the car to bits, and I like driving it. I like the way it looks.

I've had a few Volvo's. and they VERY rarely go wrong. Ive had a couple of Scoobs, and they where great too.

I think with these cars, if your willing to keep having them repaired, by the time all the dodgey VW parts have been replaced, you'll have a great car [:D]

Good luck getting yours sorted

[D]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got a call from VW customer service, and guess what, no news, just they are still in contact with the technical support department trying to resolve what they call a wiring problem.

How long can one job take and I'm not even offered a courtesy car.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The fans are supposed to run constantly if you have your air con on. If you turn it off, they should stop. do they?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fans are supposed to run constantly if you have your air con on. If you turn it off, they should stop. do they?
No that's the problem, they don't stop regardless of what's on/off. You would expect a VW dealer not to know what they are doing though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
His fans were just staying on constantly. Even when the engine was switched off the fans were running. He used to have to charge the battery in order to be able to start it in the mornings. He took it to the local Audi dealership who sorted it out. I think it was something to do with the fuse's or summat from what he told me?! I take it that your car and his car will both be 2.0 TDi's?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His fans were just staying on constantly. Even when the engine was switched off the fans were running. He used to have to charge the battery in order to be able to start it in the mornings. He took it to the local Audi dealership who sorted it out. I think it was something to do with the fuse's or summat from what he told me?! I take it that your car and his car will both be 2.0 TDi's?
No my cars is a V5, do you think you could find out how the problem was fixed please as the fools at the dealers can't seem to fix it after having it 22 days, they keep referring to faulty wiring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am almost sure that they just changed the wiring / fuse on the fans and it was fine!

I don't have his mobile number anymore mate as he has lost his mobile so I can't help you anymore than that for the time being!!

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
Stick with it and don't let them get away with it,after all the MK.4 Golf is the best car in the world,you'd miss it if you got something else.I don't know how much you've laid down the law to them so far (sorry,only read your letter quickly),but I find that threatening to tell your story to BBCs Watchdog program always works wonders,and that if they don't have the means or expertise to solve your problem,they shouldn't be selling this particular brand of cars.
The practicalities of mass production means that even a company such as VW wouldn't change the wiring on just one car and not keep a record of it,if they couldn't get a certain component(s)for a certain model of car,they wouldn't stop making them until that part became available again,they'd find a viable alternative,and change the cars wiring to suit.This would HAVE to be accompanied by some sort of change note that would be recorded against a batch,or range of VINs,and as soon as VW in Germany are sent your VIN,their database should instantly bring up details of any changes and the exact production history of your particular car.

Keep at it,and good luck! Or if you speak Latin "Illegitimus non tatum carborundum"

Chris.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a phone call yesterday from the dealer who said VW have now said the whole wiring loom should be replaced. He said this is a costly job and a large one. I said in no uncertain terms I'm not paying for any of this as it's a manufacture fault that they have already admitted and VW themselves can pay. If need be I'll seek legal advice, he is going to tell them and see what they say.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are sur VW will pay ensure that you have it in writing, before they start the job, that all costs will be bourne by them.

That said, don't be surprised if they don't, if it turns out to be a broken cable then they may not be at fault.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would it take 24 days to find a broken cable mate?

I'm not technician but I'm sure if I had that amount of time I could find one.

I'm still awaiting my reply to my letter I sent a week ago from them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ordinarily I would say no it wouldn't however, knowing how VW work and that they use guided fault finding plus factoring in the fact that they won't have been giving your car their undivided attention it is possible.

Has the system ever worked? Why has it taken so long to emerge?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only bought the car in March and had no problems until my aircon didn't work. Then after a huge bill and having the main control box replaced it caused this problem of the fans.

I've just had VW onto me saying they don't intend paying for this work even though they admit it's something that has been done in manufacture.

Don't know why it's taken this long but I do know VW haven't supplied and technical information to the dealers and they need it. They say my wiring doesn't match the cars chassis number, but the wiring has been put in at the factory.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ahh now you see there is a bit more info coming out, you've had the 'Main Control Box' replaced. What do you mean by that?

I doubt it's a problem since manufacture as it's only just manifested itself.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea my compressor wasn't engaging when the a/c was turned on, the garage said I need a new control box and that would sort the problem. When replaced it made my fans just run, they thought it was a faulty box and fitted another new one just to find the same situation. Without my knowledge they took it over to the VW dealer to look at as they didn't know how to fix it. I went over that same day evening to pick what I thought would be my working car up to be told they have taken it to the dealers that morning.

But VW dealers are saying it's something to do with the wiring, i've been told it's different to stanard and even some of it is missing, but it's all been done in the factory and hasn't been tampered with since.

I'm so confused and totally fed up with the whole situation it's making me feel bad.

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
It could be something as simple as when they've plugged the new unit in,they could have bent one or some of the pins in the multiway plug,leaving them shorting together.It's quite easy to do if you don't have easy access to where it's going,or the wiring loom is very short,meaning it's plugged together by feel rather than sight.Only a visual check would rule this out.
I doubt very much if your wiring is non standard,or is missing any part of it.It sounds like a feeble excuse by your VW dealer for not being able to find a very obvious fault.
Now that you've told us more of the story,it sounds like it's more down to the garage you originally took it to,who never asked for your permission to take it to VW in the first place.It's more than likely(or at least possible) that all of this has been caused by them,so maybe they should be doing all the legwork?

Chris.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts