Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Outside temperature sensor issue ??

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
19K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bald75 
#1 ·
Hi guys the other day i removed the front bumper on the golf to fit a radiator and at the same time i fitted a battery, then that was it, but when i got back in the car i noticed the outside temp gauge was not working anymore it was just showing C no numbers, so i assumed i had forget to connect it back up after the removing of the bumper, on checking i found all was in order, so i thought it must be the sensor itself, so i got a used one from breakers yard, fitted that and its still the same ??

So i then thought i must have bought a crappy sensor that was also knackered, Hence ive now bought a brand new one from VW at £23 and fitted that, Guess what still the bloody same still not working....all three sensors show the same just the C on dash, unplug it so none are fitted same again just the C...

My question is removing the battery wont have anything to do with this not working will it, (WORKED FINE BEFORE I DID RADIATOR AND BATTERY)

Or do you think ive damaged the wiring removing the bumper or something, connector looks fine no corrosion etc

Any ideas chaps greatly received :)

#4 ·
Old No7 = looks like the multimeters coming out then simple system but i hate things not working to be honest...

I was just curious it was'nt a reset type issue or something like that,could it be an issue if i replaced the battery and reconnected the bettery up whilst the bumper and sensor were off the car, as i removed the radiator and while i was waiting for the new one to be delivered i replaced the battery not something silly like, it was'nt fitted when reconnected so it does'nt know its there or something daft ??

#8 ·
If you plugged it in after you reconnected the battery for some reason they tend not to work. If you plug it in then reconnect your battery it will. Just take off the battery and reconnect and it should be fine.

I need to relocate mine at the minute as it was showing 10degrees C last night when Im certain it was about -5...sat right next to my intercooler pipe lol

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.