Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And in with the new! Picked up my latest car, a Bora Sport 150PD in Reflex Silver, from fellow forum member d4ve, yesterday evening.

I'm pleased to be back in a VW after nearly 18 months of driving my
every day car, the Rover 620 SDI (affectionately known as 'Jalopy').
Don't get me wrong, the Rover has been a great car (I can hear the
sniggers already) and I will be sorry to see her go - one of the best
all round cars I've owned. It's also strange going back to one car, and
the rigors of maintaining / running and making sure she's clean and
presentable. Of course the savings are already becoming apparent -
Saving over ?400 per year on insurance and over ?200 on tax/mot costs.

I have to say it was a real pleasure dealing with Dave, who has treated the car with a lot of care and respect. She's mint and it was really nice to pick up a car from someone who shares the same thoughts and ideas on how to own and maintain a car [Y] He even included a dash bracket for me which I can use to mount my new SPV M3100. I just wish all sellers could be so welcoming and open when it comes to cars. You're a credit to the community Dave!

The drive back was a totally new experience for me, first time long haul traveling with the VW PD unit. Motorway cruising is a dream, with 6th gear providing more than ample power to keep up with the ever fluctuating traffic our nations roads generate. Fuel economy - HELLO NURSE! - Averaged 51mpg on the way home on our 80 mile trip and that even included a couple of heavy right foot moments. haven't had the chance to test town driving yet, but I expect to average low 40's in the economy stakes.

I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend. She's already got a good coat of wax so I'll just need to give her a quick hose off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ah yes, the new oil burners are no comparison to what was about 10 years ago, quiet (well, a lot quieter than my VR6!) sporty and economical. I've never looked back since owning mine- altho I've been told mine is probably chipped, never driven another so can't compare- but they just cruise at speed and still push you back in the seat when the right foots planted!

Only thing I'm wary about is the sump undertray, every time I navigate a road 'pillow' sccccrrraaapeee!! So I slow right down and ensure one side of the car rides over the centre of the 'bump' and bvgger anyone behind who think I'm being over cautious.

Mind you... I feel sorry for these people.... (broadband suggested)

http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/flvplayer.swf?file=http://media.biertijd.com/movies/200610/onderen.flv&autostart=true&fs=true

Happy Christmas!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
They are good aren't they.

It's easy to appreciate how passionate some people are in extolling the virtues of the PD and also explains why the Petrol vs Diesel debates can quickly get quite heated.

I think we would all be interested to hear more of your observations Tabs as you grow into the car.

I know you've only just got it but we would also all be interested in what your plans for it are, split rims; are they going on it or did you flog them ? Allard supertune ? Or just a lightly breathed on daily driver ?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah yes, the new oil burners are no comparison to what was about 10 years ago, quiet (well, a lot quieter than my VR6!) sporty and economical. I've never looked back since owning mine- altho I've been told mine is probably chipped, never driven another so can't compare- but they just cruise at speed and still push you back in the seat when the right foots planted!

Only thing I'm wary about is the sump undertray, every time I navigate a road 'pillow' sccccrrraaapeee!! So I slow right down and ensure one side of the car rides over the centre of the 'bump' and bvgger anyone behind who think I'm being over cautious.

Mind you... I feel sorry for these people.... (broadband suggested)

http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/flvplayer.swf?file=http://media.biertijd.com/movies/200610/onderen.flv&autostart=true&fs=true

Happy Christmas!
Having driven a 105bhp diesel for the last 18 months I'm more than happy with the power, its suprising just how quickly you can cover ground in any gear. I'll have to watch myself me thinks - one of the advantages of the Jalopy was that its a slow car - as such, it keept me out of trouble lol! [6]

Speed humps are a nightmare round my way, tackled a few this morning but it didn't seem to phase the car in any way.

I'll probably look at going down the koni/eibach sports kit route next year. Also got some ARB's to be fitted, but the rear axle bushes and front ARB bushes need doing so I'll hold off fitting until they've been taken car of.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'll probably look at going down the koni/eibach sports kit route next year. Also got some ARB's to be fitted, but the rear axle bushes and front ARB bushes need doing so I'll hold off fitting until they've been taken car of.
Tabs, when you have the bushes done are you going to an independent, or dealer? Could you let us know the sort of cost you expect to pay? It's a subject close to my own heart at the minute!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tabs, when you have the bushes done are you going to an independent, or dealer? Could you let us know the sort of cost you expect to pay? It's a subject close to my own heart at the minute!
Will do. I've asked for a quote from PSI tuning this morning, won't be using a main dealer for any work unless I win the lottery and have a frontal lobe lobotomy (the likely hood of which is very unlikely!!)

I'll be posting my thoughts on the car over the next month or so. I'll be driving down to Loughborough over Christmas so will have a nice opportunity to stretch her legs.

I agree ct.p - can see why it gets so heated, the initial impressions of the car are outweighing my long held affection for petrol cars!

·
Registered
615 Posts
When I got my Bora about a month ago the front ARB bushes had gone, all the knocking made me think it was something worse- it sounded terrible.

I took it to a local mechanic I know, and he replaced the 'outside' ones for ?15 including the parts, but it still did it- exactly the same. After a quick call to GSF parts about Bora's and what parts go he ordered in the inner ones too, and having paid the same to get them fitted it's now sweet as a nut.

So step 1 - Gora?
Nooo. Gora's look strange- don't do it.

Bolf's look sweet, but not Gora's. [:S]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree ct.p - can see why it gets so heated, the initial impressions of the car are outweighing my long held affection for petrol cars!
Well that is quite amazing considering they are only initial impressions!
That is quite amazing considering the plethora of " real fuel" cars you have owned in the past.

Jay
The bank statements tell the story - halving my fuel bills and having a modicum of performance is more of a turn on now.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Glad to hear you have picked up a Bora mate joining the ever growing bora owners on the forum!

look forward to seeing it at the next NW meet speaking of NW meet we need to get one organised

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm going to have a similar conundrum next year when I change the Golf.

I really fancy a late Mark 1 S3, but am also concidering an A3 PD130 Quattro. Which ever I go for would be Revo'd, the PD A3 would need body kit etc, where as the S3 could stay stock.

Hmmmm going to be a difficult choice to make.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Nice one Mark, glad you've finally found one and if you love it half as much as i did mine you're onto a winner...

I still miss my old Bora and it will probably be the best all round car i've ever had, probably why i kept it longer than any other car i've owned and 3 1/2 years is a record for me lol! Welcome to the dark side but be warned, you may stray in the future for a while like i, but the lure of the dark side is strong and you will return luke... [;)]

Got a little pressie for you too next time i see you...[:D]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts