Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you fancy a change from the standard orange-painted "fried-egg effect" bulbs, Halfords now sell Osram Diadem indicators. Not in the Osram retail packaging though, they're in Halfords packaging (I checked the base of the bulb and it says Osram - I was actually looking for some other bulbs today when I noticed these and at first thought they were some imitation!), sold in singles for ?6.99 each. 581 fitment (120 degree offset pins). They look quite cool because the colour changes slightly (purple/blue with hints of orange) as you change viewing angle [:)]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or you can just order the Osram retail pack containing a pair of bulbs for ?13.45 from Autobulbs Direct

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16349&cat=602&page=1

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully they won't need replacing that often if Osram's claims about the lifespan (twice as long) are true [:)] My factory bulbs lasted more than three years and were still going strong (both still very bright and even) when I replaced them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I might get myself a pair of these for my celis angel lights, will go along with the blue rings during the day :)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep i got them too. Glad you can get replacments locally now[:)]
Just noticed you have an Anni, or at least Anni headlights. Have you got a close-up pic of your headlights? I'm considering Anni headlights myself and would like to see how the Diadems look in there. Your car is the same colour as mine too, so that would be perfect to see [:)]

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Oooh.....I likey these!

I have the plain silver silvatec style ones in at the moment, but may switch for these yet. I like that bluey effect!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oooh.....I likey these!

I have the plain silver silvatec style ones in at the moment, but may switch for these yet. I like that bluey effect!!
Here's a closer pic [:p]

Posted Image

How do the Silvatecs look? Got a pic? I was originally going to get Philips Silver Vision but found they are not as silver as they look on the packaging, they are more of a faded orange/silver.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shiuming, here's the bulbs

Posted Image

The new bulb in the light

Posted Image

And a comparison

Posted Image

They do look a very clean silver, no hint of orange that I can see.

Dont know if they're actually silvatec bulbs really - I got them from Shaq!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I found the indicator bulbs from Shaq's GB to be a little on the dull side, changed one side and turned the hazards on and the difference was certainly noticable.  Agreed with Shaq for a swap (+ afew ?'s) for Osram's Diadem and fitted them end of last week. Result: much happier and as shiuming says 'the colour changes slightly (purple/blue with hints of orange) as you change viewing angle' look pretty cool (anything is better than the fried eggs).

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I found the indicator bulbs from Shaq's GB to
be a little on the dull side, changed one side and turned the hazards
on and the difference was certainly noticable. Agreed with Shaq
for a swap (+ afew ?'s) for Osram's Diadem and fitted them end of
last week. Result: much happier and as shiuming says 'the colour
changes slightly (purple/blue with hints of orange) as you change
viewing angle' look pretty cool (anything is better than the fried
eggs).
I found that too.. and ended up changing them when one of them blue
about a year after first installing them. I now have philips
silver vision indicators.. a lot brighter than the shaq gb ones.. and
they look a bit like the osram diadem bulbs but with less of that blue
tint.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a special optical interference coating that only lets out the orange part of the light spectrum [8-|]

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hiya,

are these bulbs legall for road use?

They look great by the way!

Ashley
Yes - they blink orange, as normal indicator bulbs. Philips do a silver coated version, which almost removes any colour visible from the outside.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hiya,

Ashley
Yes - look at the packaging in my first pic [;)]

This is Osram, all pukka kit. Have to see them in the flesh to appreciate them though, the colour changes depending on viewing angle, I can spend hours looking at them [:p]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hiya,

Ashley
Yes - look at the packaging in my first pic [;)]

This is Osram, all pukka kit. Have to see them in the flesh to appreciate them though, the colour changes depending on viewing angle, I can spend hours looking at them [:p]
Thanks - Another Weekend Project!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts