Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I order it, I just wanted to clarify a few things.

1) How will the residuals compare with the 'non-4motion' 2.0TDI?

2) Will there be a noticeable/significant performance difference from the 'non-4motion' 2.0TDI? (I am guessing it may feel slower?)

3) Should I try and get money off the list price? more money for my part-ex? or a few extras added in (if so, what)?

4) I am going to get 17" torinos. Are there any other options (not too expensive) that I should consider?

5) Does the 'GT trim' come with carpet mats?

Any help much appreciated (before tomorrow if possible)

Michael

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Michael, with a trade-in the only issue is the 'price to change'. As we do not know the car you are trading in it is difficult to help.

I think the 4 motion will always command a little more over a 2 wheel drive car but maybe only ?500 on the used market. Its going to use a little more fuel too.

You need to make sure that your spec is correct at this level of expenditure. Mats are not standard.

Wheels - Torinos are OK, I prefer Estorils personally. Get the 'Highline' computer, armrest (with the changer in it if you can afford to), Winter pack, Luxury pack and cruise (unless you are really anti it). Forget Xenons and leather (hugely expensive) unless you really hanker after them as otherwise its money lost.

·
Registered
281 Posts
definitely armrest and highline comp. Luxury pack and cruise are not what I'd consider to be 'essentials', all up to you. Armrest CD changer- take it or leave it. storage pack (under seat) seems like a good idea and if i remember correctly isnt too expensive. Just remember that certain things are difficult to retrofit so make sure you are happy with the spec.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Price to change:

2002 (02) 130PD with met black, just over 30k miles

To:-

New 2.0TDI 4motion with met paint and torinos

= ?10,300 near enough

Is this good/bad/ok?

I may go for the centre armrest (not CD autochanger)

What does the highline computer do that the midline does not (bearing in mind I do not indend getting SAT-NAV)? Do they both tell you the predicted range?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: posted by Mark V on 30/03/2005 19:24:30

Mats are not standard.

My 130pd came with mats! Nevermind, I will buy some.

Quote: posted by Mark V on 30/03/2005 19:24:30

.....and cruise (unless you are really anti it).

I read somewhere (on here I think) that cruise made it difficult to remap? Is this true?

·
Registered
737 Posts
As others have said; I would definitely go for an armrest: It's a bargain imo(?110?), it includes rear vents, looks so much better than standard console and it would be alot more expensive to retrofit at a later date.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mark V on 30/03/2005 19:24:30

My 130pd came with mats! Nevermind, I will buy some.

Do the deal, then TELL the stealer he is throwing mats in. If he refuses to budge make your way to the door. The mats cost the stealer about ?15 so if he doesnt throw them in buy off someone who will.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Armrest is good value for money and, it seems, also gets you a nice covered storage compartment next to the hand brake instead of the open one. At ?45 the highline computer is essential, both tell you fuel range but the highline has a larger graphic display with a pic of the car showing doors open etc and you can also use it to set various things such as length of 'coming home' lighting staying on - a must have IMHO.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Defo ask for a discount. Take internet quotes for UK cars with you.

If I were you I would go to www.glasse.co.uk, spend ?3 and get a personalised trade in price for your car.

When you first speak to dealer get them to commit to a reduced price for the car as if you were just buying the car straight up. Once you have the figures for that tell him you expect ?x for your car and show him the evidence. Reember your car is desirable to the dealer as they will sell it on with minimum ?1k profit.

If the dealer doesn't play ball shop around until you find one who will. This should get you a decent price.

If you are taking their finance ask for even more of a discount since they get a decent commission for selling you the finance.

On the 4mo why do you want it instead of a standard car? Unless you tow or drive a lot on snow etc I don't see the attraction personally. The 2wd handles great and the 4mo may not be as good! Your choice of course.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hi Ken, a 4-mo version of a (front) 2-wheel drive car is more difficult to understand than a 4-wheel drive version of a car dominated in its class by rear wheel drive cars.

We have an Audi A4 Quattro and my goodness what a machine it is. It holds the road like its welded to the tarmac and issues which would render a rear drive car useless are just tossed aside. With 190 horses on tap its a stunning experience compared with other cars at the same price.

Less easy to comprehend in a Golf though I would agree.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by kenl on 30/03/2005 22:21:44

If I were you I would go to www.glasse.co.uk, spend ?3 and get a personalised trade in price for your car.

I have, the price I have been offered is slightly better.

P.S. dont pay ?3, use vauxhall.co.uk (they pay for you!)

Quote: posted by kenl on 30/03/2005 22:21:44

On the 4mo why do you want it instead of a standard car? Unless you tow or drive a lot on snow etc I don't see the attraction personally. The 2wd handles great and the 4mo may not be as good! Your choice of course.

I do tow and with the car being light at the front, getting traction is a problem.

BUT you've got me worried now, how may it not be as good?!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 30/03/2005 19:14:57

2) Will there be a noticeable/significant performance difference from the 'non-4motion' 2.0TDI? (I am guessing it may feel slower?)

It may be slightly slower, but being a 4wd, the gear ratios will be lower than the fwd, which may help in performance terms.

Enjoy it, I'm sure it will be a cracker.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. What I meant was that since no-one has really tested them and compared the handling to the 2wd car it is possible that it may not be as good.

However, reading the 4car test who are usually pretty good with straight talking reviews do not seem to see any negatives saying that most of the time you wouldn't know the difference.

If you tow it will be well worth it but for me ?1k extra would be a waste of money.

Thanks for the tip on the free vauxhall website, can you put all the spec of the car on there?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by kenl on 31/03/2005 08:08:45

Thanks for the tip on the free vauxhall website, can you put all the spec of the car on there?

I am not sure, I have never tried as my car is standard.

Go to www.vauxhall.co.uk, choose any car, then go to finance calculator and it says 'whats your car worth' or something along those lines.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks Michael I tried it. It only gives a basic value but this is a good starting point and a car with extras will hopefully be worth more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have just ordered my new car!

Decided on met black with torinos and highline computer.

(I didn't really care much for the centre armrest)

Cant wait!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 31/03/2005 18:49:03

Cant wait!

congrats mate

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 31/03/2005 18:49:03

Cant wait!

Did you get the 10% off that everyone is posting about?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts